Why hasn't Zeke been picked up yet?

blueblood70

Reaction score
We like our guys. This does not mean other teams do!
except for Schultz, brown, McGovern, Gifford, McQuade so far ,im sure more to come..

last year nearly all our ex players got immediate jobs. next busted narrative bet zeke will pay on some team this year odd 6months before game 1 and you feel he and others wont get picked up..didnt realize rosterss were set and closed.

CoachD

Reaction score
Because of a massive decline in production, speed, and power!

JustChip

Reaction score
I don’t get the hate for Zeke from Cowboys “fans”. I get he wasn’t worth the contract the last 2 years, maybe 3. But he didn’t give himself that contract. He did what 999 out of 1000 of us would’ve done; took advantage if a situation to earn a payday.

But beyond the the contract, he was the primary reason the Cowboys were 13-3 and a 1st round bye in 2016. And a crucial part of 2 of the most exciting games in the last 25 years that year - the Steelers game and the Divisional game against the Packers.

Like Dez, it was time to move on, but that doesn’t diminish what they meant to this team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
..you think, he would be snagged by now. To early? Or am I missing something?
He’s an aging back that’s in decline and RBs aren’t as coveted as they once were. If he has gotten an offer it’s probably a one-year deal. I’m sure he’s in no hurry to sign and is weighing out his options.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
He's not a needle mover at this point in his career. His upside is limited now after wear and tear and usage over the years.

When you couple that with his cap hit, that's why he got cut. He just wasn't viewed as an essential running back for us anymore.

And that's how he's viewed in the NFL right now. He's a guy you can sit on and probably bring in later post draft or even before the season or during camp. He has no real upside at this point, he is what he is.

Contrast that with a guy like Penny, the Eagles signed. Dude is always hurt. Like he literally has only played in half the games he's been in the league. But he has real upside as his skills are just better than Elliott's at this point. The reality is that in a league were TBs are interchangeable, the guys who sign early are either truly high level guys or guys that have real potential that are worth a flier on. Guys like Elliott just sit out there because they offer no significant upside where you have to run out and grab them.
I was asking Sparky why he said it. I know the answer.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Zeke is a situational guy now…short yardage/goaline TD guy. Maybe a 3rd down back on 3rd and long where you need protection. He may be the one picking and choosing teams with this need. His agent overplayed his hand a little so there you go.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
..you think, he would be snagged by now. To early? Or am I missing something?
well, he runs a 4.8 40 these days, it will take him a while to get to where he is going. or maybe he was running in the airport and he got tackled behind the line.... :muttley:

TheCritic

Reaction score
If he went to a team that has a great OL, get that extra half second to hit the hole, I could see him busting out a bunch of 8-10 yard runs.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
he'll get signed after the draft... closer to camps when it's likely a deal will be cheaper

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why should he be in any hurry to sign with any team?
Or any team be in a hurry to sign him? He averaged under 4 yards per carry last year, so he's more of a last-ditch addition than first off the floor. He'd be a good pickup for someone with a speed back who wants a short-yardage back to pair with him. Takes some wear and tear off the starter in those situations. Of course, he's got to be willing to play for a lot less if he's primarily a specialty back.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Has he been officially released yet? Maybe he isn't able to sign yet
good point, they wont release him but he will be post june 1st cut, and have announced it.
So he should be able to talk to other teams and make a deal now.
My thinking is that is why jones made it known, so he could make a deal with another team now as opposed to later when teams
have already filled most of the positions.

1. other teams may know or find out his asking price, and laugh at that.
2.just watching him play the last 2 years, he may not be worth vet minimum to most teams.

he will be doing good to just land a job at vet minimum, and this may be what jones boys wanted, for him to see nobody wants him,
so he will resign with cowboys at the rate they offered.

nobody

Reaction score
He's designated a June 1 cut, isn't he? Maybe he can't be signed until then? Teams are also waiting on the draft. Maybe he'll ask too much, maybe he won't. I'm guessing he plays on a team come fall if he doesn't overvalue his worth.