Why have we not signed Ron Leary?

superonyx

Reaction score
I am kind of baffled why people keep asking this. we have a number of interior players. Its clear they do not want to move williams or martin to tackle.
You are baffled why people see Connor Williams getting his candy arse thrown around and want to move him outside?

Doesn't seem very confusing at all.
What about fans thinking this seems to be more than you can grasp?
Maybe we can help you.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
He's not on any teams roster. What do you think that means?
That doesn’t mean anything!

Kurt Warner was bagging groceries the year he was the MVP of the Super Bowl! Tom Brady was a 6th round draft choice. The great Drew Pearson was undrafted. Jason Garrett was a HC for 10 years!

TwentyOne

Reaction score
With all the turmoil of playing a rookie at RT..

why are we not moving Connor Williams back out to RT and playing Leary at LG?

Leary actually lives 5 minutes from the Star..

is apparently healthy and wants to play.

This just seems like a done deal but we are doing nothing.

Hmmmm...

We need the money for our mvp qb.....

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Didn't recent reports say McCarthy has been practicing both Connor Williams and Zack Martin at Tackle...a little?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
With all the turmoil of playing a rookie at RT..

why are we not moving Connor Williams back out to RT and playing Leary at LG?

Leary actually lives 5 minutes from the Star..

is apparently healthy and wants to play.

This just seems like a done deal but we are doing nothing.

Hmmmm...

The reason the Cowboys let him walk was because he has a degenerative condition in his left knee and the expected length for his career was 5 years. He made it a little longer, but he still has that condition in is knee. Every team knows this and probably has the same fear that he may be good for a game and then that condition can worsen badly and then like a light switch that condition can make it so just walking becomes a problem. When he played he was a good LT but the teams are thinking that knee condition will worsen badly much much sooner rather than later.

MikeB80

Reaction score
You are baffled why people see Connor Williams getting his candy arse thrown around and want to move him outside?

Doesn't seem very confusing at all.
What about fans thinking this seems to be more than you can grasp?
Maybe we can help you.

Yes I am baffled. They are already filled with interior players.
Connor Williams, Joe Looney, Zach Martin, Connor Mcgovern, Tyler Biadasz and Brandon Knight.

that is a lot of interior players. If you move martin or williams you are creating extra problems. Williams is fine at guard. Adding leary to this group means you have to let go of one of the tackles which would make no sense.

If smith were to only miss a game and collins is back for cleveland are you willing to sacrifice mcgovern, biadasz or knight from the roster for one game? I think that is foolish.

The team needs a tackle who can play both sides and be active on gameday not another interior player and I loved Ron Leary. He was one of the guys who was mean and kept going after the whistle. The roster can not handle another guard however.

superonyx

Reaction score
Yes I am baffled. They are already filled with interior players.
Connor Williams, Joe Looney, Zach Martin, Connor Mcgovern, Tyler Biadasz and Brandon Knight.

that is a lot of interior players. If you move martin or williams you are creating extra problems. Williams is fine at guard. Adding leary to this group means you have to let go of one of the tackles which would make no sense.

If smith were to only miss a game and collins is back for cleveland are you willing to sacrifice mcgovern, biadasz or knight from the roster for one game? I think that is foolish.

The team needs a tackle who can play both sides and be active on gameday not another interior player and I loved Ron Leary. He was one of the guys who was mean and kept going after the whistle. The roster can not handle another guard however.
You are missing the point.
Connor Williams isn’t a guard. Maybe he isn’t a Tackle either.
The reality is our OL stinks. Our playcalling will be negatively impacted by this all season. We have a quickly aging LT with injuries. A center who is a backup level player. A LG who shouldn’t be starting in the NFL. We just started undrafted rookie at RT.

People wanting to bring in guards isn’t a bandaid due to Collins being out 2 more weeks. It’s looking for a season long solution for Connor Williams.

Rayman70

Reaction score
AFTER ATL destroys us this week, we will be signing Leary and ET. This will be kin to what Randy Moss did to us back in the day with Minny. Julio will torch our safeties and db's.

MikeB80

Reaction score
You are missing the point.
Connor Williams isn’t a guard. Maybe he isn’t a Tackle either.
The reality is our OL stinks. Our playcalling will be negatively impacted by this all season. We have a quickly aging LT with injuries. A center who is a backup level player. A LG who shouldn’t be starting in the NFL. We just started undrafted rookie at RT.

People wanting to bring in guards isn’t a bandaid due to Collins being out 2 more weeks. It’s looking for a season long solution for Connor Williams.

that is a different discussion then. If you believe williams is so bad he should not be playing then you should be making the case that mcgovern get a shot at left guard and biadasz get a shot at center.

seems you are missing the point. Your apparent hatred of williams is leading you to believe they should compound the issue and move williams to tackle or martin to tackle...then you have 3 problem areas. Right now the team has one problem area up front and that is steele. I imagine smith will go out for workouts tomorrow morning and make a decision. If he cant play now there are two problem areas. We will see.

Signing looney means removing another lineman from the roster...who do you sacrifice for leary? This would be bad management of the roster on top of everything else that is bad here.

and by the way, i went through the all 22 and for as bad as you are saying williams was Dak missed a wide open touchdown to jarwin and then he missed a crossing pattern to lamb that would have been a huge play setting up at minimum a field goal. So in a 3 point loss that seems pretty important and was not on the line or the play caller.

The rams sat back in zone and said drive the field without making mistakes and this team can not do it. Atlanta played aggressively sunday to stop the run in seattle and got burned because of it. This week they are going to sit in zone and make Dallas drive the field again. If the qb misses throws and creates long third downs then he is in trouble again because this atlanta team can rush the passer. I don't think ron leary would help any of this by the time he would be ready to play. If Collins is back vs cleveland and smith plays through his neck strain the line should be ok.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
As I recall, Ron Leary had an ongoing knee condition that was considered chronic when he played for the Cowboys. I think it caught up with him. His performance gradually deteriorated to a point where he isn't the same player now. I think his memory has us thinking he's simply something that he's just not, any longer. I'm about ready to see Biadasz take over for Looney at center. Looney has always had trouble pass blocking. He still does.

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
Leary never played a full season after leaving here.

11, 6 and 12 are his games played stat line per year.

At 31, I'm sure his athletic ability is a lot lower than it was when he was here, especially after those injuries suffered in Denver including an Achilles injury.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Didn't recent reports say McCarthy has been practicing both Connor Williams and Zack Martin at Tackle...a little?
I'm guessing more for in-game emergencies than to move them as starters (even if for a game or two). For example, on Sunday we were down to 2 OTs. If one got hurt someone needed to move out there to finish the game

links18

Reaction score
"We like our guys." "We are focused on who we have in the building right now." etc., etc.

superonyx

Reaction score
that is a different discussion then. If you believe williams is so bad he should not be playing then you should be making the case that mcgovern get a shot at left guard and biadasz get a shot at center.

seems you are missing the point. Your apparent hatred of williams is leading you to believe they should compound the issue and move williams to tackle or martin to tackle...then you have 3 problem areas. Right now the team has one problem area up front and that is steele. I imagine smith will go out for workouts tomorrow morning and make a decision. If he cant play now there are two problem areas. We will see.

Signing looney means removing another lineman from the roster...who do you sacrifice for leary? This would be bad management of the roster on top of everything else that is bad here.

and by the way, i went through the all 22 and for as bad as you are saying williams was Dak missed a wide open touchdown to jarwin and then he missed a crossing pattern to lamb that would have been a huge play setting up at minimum a field goal. So in a 3 point loss that seems pretty important and was not on the line or the play caller.

The rams sat back in zone and said drive the field without making mistakes and this team can not do it. Atlanta played aggressively sunday to stop the run in seattle and got burned because of it. This week they are going to sit in zone and make Dallas drive the field again. If the qb misses throws and creates long third downs then he is in trouble again because this atlanta team can rush the passer. I don't think ron leary would help any of this by the time he would be ready to play. If Collins is back vs cleveland and smith plays through his neck strain the line should be ok.

when you have open holes in starter positions you don’t ignore those holes because you are so worried a guy like McGovern may be released. Has he ever blocked a single man in his career? No team is rushing to grab him.

Donald had a 38% pressure rate. All last season he averaged 18%. That doesn’t even count the amount of plays when other guys were in a Daks face. Trying to shift focus to Prescott when Connors play is questioned is just weak.