Why hold on to that salary cap space?

Amarillofan82

Reaction score
Cap rollover is a nice feature for re-building teams with one or two great player they want to extend for big contracts. For contending teams, it is not the way, better to spend what you have on gaps in your depth, or a player to push you over the top on a weakness. So, depending on what team the Cowboys think they are this year, This is a great idea or a status quo to keep them competitive, but not a contender.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I keep hearing fans complaining about the salary cap space and why we aren’t spending it.

Feel free to make conjectures on any scenario, including owner greed.

Personally, I’d love to think Jerry is holding that money either for the 2023 rollover to make a big move after seeing what we need to add to this season’s team, or maybe he’s hedging his bet that our wr group will be fine. Just as he brought in Cooper via trade when it was clear our WRs were subpar, if Ceedee and company aren’t getting the job done, maybe Jerry signs free agent Odell Beckham Jr around mid-October. OBJ is supposed to be ready in October sometime. His speed and ability to improvise when the play breaks down and the QB scrambles would fit our offense well, in my opinion.

What other moves could be made in-season with that money if the Cowboys struggle in a particular area?

Most likely, they will only use it in free agency this year if a position shows itself to be a big weakness in camp. The Cooper in 2018 that you mentioned is a good example. We had to have enough cap room for him.

If the Cowboys do not identify any absolute needs during training camps, then they will likely roll over the space in order to use it to restructure deals. Dalton Schultz, Terence Steele and Tony Pollard all could be in line for long-term deals if they play well. And there are some others we could re-sign as well.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I keep hearing fans complaining about the salary cap space and why we aren’t spending it.

Personally, I’d love to think Jerry is holding that money either for the 2023 rollover to make a big move after seeing what we need to add to this season’s team, or maybe he’s hedging his bet that our wr group will be fine. Just as he brought in Cooper via trade when it was clear our WRs were subpar, if Ceedee and company aren’t getting the job done, maybe Jerry signs free agent Odell Beckham Jr around mid-October. OBJ is supposed to be ready in October sometime. His speed and ability to improvise when the play breaks down and the QB scrambles would fit our offense well, in my opinion.

What other moves could be made in-season with that money if the Cowboys struggle in a particular area?
We have several players that will be coming up for big deals (Lamb and Diggs for instance and there are others). They’re probably planning ahead for that.

DanA

Reaction score
Tell me who are absolutely "Can't Miss" free agents. There aren't any. Now, if there were a Charles Hailey, Deion Sanders or Preston Pearson, I'r reconsider but as is .. naw.

D'aron Payne would probably fall squarely into that category for me assuming he's not franchise tagged in 2023.

LittleD

Reaction score
You guys got what you whined about...paying Dak big money. Well he got big money. The Boys have 3 or 4 big contracts on the horizon that is going to drain the well of cap space. The Cowboys draft their own and sign their own. Don't be looking for any big free agents cause there aren't any at this stage of the season.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Cap rollover is a nice feature for re-building teams with one or two great player they want to extend for big contracts. For contending teams, it is not the way, better to spend what you have on gaps in your depth, or a player to push you over the top on a weakness. So, depending on what team the Cowboys think they are this year, This is a great idea or a status quo to keep them competitive, but not a contender.

We are in re-building mode. We're rebuilding via the draft, we're hoping to build around the last three drafts (whilst veteran contracts expire).

We've a number of good/promising youngsters....if they solidify into NFL regulars (during 2022) we're in a great position to fill in the holes in 2023 (yea, yea, depends on Stephen spending).

fivetwos

Reaction score
You want to believe it. Nothing we've seen from the Jerry & Stephen Show over the last 20 years suggests they're going to trade up for a QB and dump Dak.

Given the projected QB class next year, that would be the time to do it if you think Dak is your Jared Goff. I just don't believe Jerry & Stephen think that way.
They don't.

If next year is such a QB rich draft, they ought to consider drafting one high and letting him sit and learn for at least 2023, this way they have options and a little leverage over Daks demands when his deal is up, or on restructures.

But since the first round of the draft is our big free agency move for each offseason, and they will again figure they are "close" after losing in the playoffs again, and they will choose to try to add to the team to get "that Super Bowl," because whatever year we are in, THATS the year.

I doubt they are looking to move on from Prescott any time soon, nor will they line up plan B, and they will be paying 60m a year for him next time around.....quite possibly after going nine seasons without coming close to winning.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
We are already 5.5 million over for next year. Perhaps we are preparing for D Flaws insane 26 million dollar cap hit.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It always amuses me that Jerry Jones, wildcatter, has pretty much become a *****cat as regards risk anymore.

Outside of questionable draft choices of course.

But he refuses to risk big money on FA's. Big change from 10-15 years ago.
Right? It's crazy. From being a guy that wanted to grab and force T.O. on a Parcell's team to a guy that refuses to spend any FA dollars on quality talent. Really is quite the swing.

Flamma

Reaction score

The most likely reason is to absorb most, if not all of Dak's cap hit next year. They're not going to push 30M forward when they don't have to.

I say this because he's the only significany cap spike next year. You didn't think they were saving it to acquire talent, did you?

kskboys

Reaction score
Right? It's crazy. From being a guy that wanted to grab and force T.O. on a Parcell's team to a guy that refuses to spend any FA dollars on quality talent. Really is quite the swing.
Easily explained. Jerry tried, nothing he did worked. So now, he's just simply confused. He doesn't possess the football mind to employ any strategy, realistically, so now he does nothing. He doesn't comprehend which cheaper FA's to sign, or why some work and some don't. No idea whatsoever. Last time we spent a bit it was on washed up players.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Easily explained. Jerry tried, nothing he did worked. So now, he's just simply confused. He doesn't possess the football mind to employ any strategy, realistically, so now he does nothing. He doesn't comprehend which cheaper FA's to sign, or why some work and some don't. No idea whatsoever. Last time we spent a bit it was on washed up players.

Maybe that policy helps Jerry & Son relax and spend more time counting their money! I guess we all have our funky ways, huh? :lmao:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they can find some one year help with no cap commitment beyond that there is no reason to hold onto the space, but you have to be careful about long term commitments. That's not so say they shouldn't consider strong options even if they have to commit to a few years. I still think they should have at least had some substantive discussions with Wagner.