Why hold on to that salary cap space?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Easily explained. Jerry tried, nothing he did worked. So now, he's just simply confused. He doesn't possess the football mind to employ any strategy, realistically, so now he does nothing. He doesn't comprehend which cheaper FA's to sign, or why some work and some don't. No idea whatsoever. Last time we spent a bit it was on washed up players.
It was like Jerry last got burnt on Brandon Carr (who was a solid player, but vastly overpaid) and it totally made him retreat fulltime into his shell.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It was like Jerry last got burnt on Brandon Carr (who was a solid player, but vastly overpaid) and it totally made him retreat fulltime into his shell.

Good theory, if I do say so, myself -- of course, there's another that goes: he's just a cheap bastid who doesn't know any better! :omg:

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I keep hearing fans complaining about the salary cap space and why we aren’t spending it.

Feel free to make conjectures on any scenario, including owner greed.

Personally, I’d love to think Jerry is holding that money either for the 2023 rollover to make a big move after seeing what we need to add to this season’s team, or maybe he’s hedging his bet that our wr group will be fine. Just as he brought in Cooper via trade when it was clear our WRs were subpar, if Ceedee and company aren’t getting the job done, maybe Jerry signs free agent Odell Beckham Jr around mid-October. OBJ is supposed to be ready in October sometime. His speed and ability to improvise when the play breaks down and the QB scrambles would fit our offense well, in my opinion.

What other moves could be made in-season with that money if the Cowboys struggle in a particular area?

"Heading into the 2021 season, the Dallas Cowboys, the richest franchise in the league, are leading the NFL in terms of player salary with $205 million."
- Link at the bottom of this post.

On average over multiple seasons, the Cowboys tend to spend the most.

The 2022 cap space is somewhat of an illusion.
- A 'pay as you go' approach would mean that a player's cap hit each year is equal to their contract average per year.
- If their cap hit is less than their average, then the difference is pushed into future years cap.

The have extra cap space in 2022 because multiple contracts have a significant portion of overall cap hit pushed into future years.
- Dak's average is $40 million.
- His cap hit in 2022 is approximately $20 million.
- That means that $20 million of the 2022 cap hit is pushed into future years.
- They also pushed about $23 million of his contract into future years.

On average, teams can't save much in real dollars by not spending under the cap.
- There is a cap minimum based on a 5 year running average.
- i.e. You won't see a team under the cap for 5 consecutive seasons.

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/nfl-teams-highest-payroll-2021-bm05/

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I keep hearing fans complaining about the salary cap space and why we aren’t spending it.

Personally, I’d love to think Jerry is holding that money either for the 2023 rollover to make a big move after seeing what we need to add to this season’s team, or maybe he’s hedging his bet that our wr group will be fine. Just as he brought in Cooper via trade when it was clear our WRs were subpar, if Ceedee and company aren’t getting the job done, maybe Jerry signs free agent Odell Beckham Jr around mid-October. OBJ is supposed to be ready in October sometime. His speed and ability to improvise when the play breaks down and the QB scrambles would fit our offense well, in my opinion.

What other moves could be made in-season with that money if the Cowboys struggle in a particular area?

What if you had a side business investing in houses.
- You like to purchase when you find a bargain, then flip it for a profit.
- You find that you only get bargains if you have the cash to purchase.
- A bank offers you a zero percent, no fee loan for $1 million due for repayment in 30 years.

Would you take the loan?

Would having $1 million in the bank mean that you should spend it on partying and fancy cars that lose half their value when you drive off the lot?

conner01

Reaction score

Fans see the cap wrong. It’s not about this season but next 3-4 years. Most new deals are cheap up front but get higher over time. The cap does tend to go up but so do salaries for new deals. So even if you have extra money it doesn’t mean the rise in cap alone can cover the rise in the costs of a guys contract as it goes up. Spending to really help your team is fine, but fans want to spend on anyone, just sign someone. That’s not a smart plan because the rises in the cap don’t necessarily match the rises in existing contracts as well as the rising costs of signing guys to new deals
It’s a 3 to 4 year balancing act