Why I believe the 7-1 PHI team is a paper Eagle

_sturt_

Reaction score
1. Comparables.

2023-11-01_12-23-15.png.b58e6dc70cff06e0dff689d776ec7c74.png
2023-11-01_12-22-06.png.bba6eab31b4c972f98721949f24326c2.png

2. A single impressive victory... Miami. And a single victory in which the outcome was never really in doubt... Tampa Bay.

This is a fortunate team. Yes, it's sometimes better to be lucky than good. No doubt. This post is just looking at the question of "how good are they really?"

They might be the weakest, most vulnerable 7-1 team in recent memory.

Now, none of that matters to Sunday's outcome specifically. They could continue to be fortunate, and we could lose. Reality, otoh, is most NFL games are that way... a bad team that plays at or near their ceiling often is capable of defeating a good team that plays at or near its floor.

I'm only making the point that is the subject header... this Eagles team has so far proven to be something less than the hype they're enjoying from being 7-1.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Do you think the eagles will play the cowboys like a top tier team?

Redline360

Reaction score
There's really no dominate team right now.

Niners hit with injury bug and have fallen apart the last three weeks

Chiefs haven't looked "chief ish" this entire season and one can argue they were granted one win argurably two by the refs

Eagles haven't looked all that dominate bar a game or two.

Miami got shutdown by the bills and eagles

Bills have fallen apart and beaten up injury wise. Allen is currently hurt as well

Ravens are pretty hot right now though

Cincy starting to warm up like they usually do. Burrow finally healthy it seems and they start sloooow

Absolutely no reason why the boys should be out of anything with the amount of talent they have.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ve watched the eagles play three times this year. Never a whole game but good portions of them. They are very good although I don’t think they are as good as last year.

IMO these are the eagles strengths and weaknesses-
STRENGTHS
  • They are still very capable offensively. They can still run the ball, one of only 10 NFL teams that have rushed for over 1,000 yds so far, and have 10 rushing TDs (compared to 5 for us)
  • Their passing game is good, not great. Hurts has 13 TDs but has thrown 8 pics- 3 more than Dak.
  • WR AJ Brown has been a stud- already has 60 receptions and 5 TDs. He’s on pace for a 110-120 catch season. He’s tough to cover because he’s fast and fights well for the ball.
  • Their D has an excellent pass rush and already have 25 sacks.
  • They can stop the run. They have allowed less than 80 yards per game through 8 games so far.
WEAKNESSES
  • Hurts has thrown 8 pics in 8 games. If you can force him to stay in the pocket and make tough throws, he’s not as effective.
  • Their secondary is vulnerable if Dak has time.
  • The eagles K Jake Elliott has missed an XP and a couple of FGs lately.
We can beat these guys. But they are still very good.
Its going to take our best game of the year.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Are we supposed to just ignore the fact of the Cowboys played those highlighted teams at home while the Eagles played them on the road?
You can't seriously be comparing point differentials and chalking up those kinds of numbers to home/away... maybe if we're talking Cowboys won by 10, and Eagles won by 3. That's not this. Conventional wisdom as always been that home field advantage is worth a field goal to Vegas.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I disagree. They’re an excellent team. Their greatest strength is their consistency. They almost always beat the teams they’re supposed to beat. That’s why they’re so difficult to catch in the standings once they get out ahead of you. It sounds like a trivial detail—”They beat the teams they’re better than. Big whoop.”—but it’s not. Jason Garrett never joined the ranks of good because he didn’t consistently win games he should’ve won. He lost to bad teams. He blew multi-score leads in the fourth quarter when his win probability was well over ninety percent. The Eagles seldom do this.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They're not a great team but they're solid and balanced, able to adjust to your weaknesses and in today's watered down league everybody has at least one fatal flaw.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I disagree. They’re an excellent team. Their greatest strength is their consistency. They almost always beat the teams they’re supposed to beat. That’s why they’re so difficult to catch in the standings once they get out ahead of you. It sounds like a trivial detail—”They beat the teams they’re better than. Big whoop.”—but it’s not. Jason Garrett never joined the ranks of good because he didn’t consistently win games he should’ve won. He lost to bad teams. He blew multi-score leads in the fourth quarter when his win probability was well over ninety percent. The Eagles seldom do this.
Good post. They are very good. Unfortunately. I hate the fact they have a good team. Their terrible fans don't deserve it.

meddleroidz

Reaction score
da cowboys never sniffed a SB in near 30 years, you cant even bash the giants since they won the sb twice not that long ago, you can mock the r-e-d-s-k-i-n-s all you want tho! also its gonna be 8-1 this sunday, mark my words. so add the cowboys to another good team beaten~!

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
I’ve watched the eagles play three times this year. Never a whole game but good portions of them. They are very good although I don’t think they are as good as last year.

IMO these are the eagles strengths and weaknesses-
STRENGTHS
  • They are still very capable offensively. They can still run the ball, one of only 10 NFL teams that have rushed for over 1,000 yds so far, and have 10 rushing TDs (compared to 5 for us)
  • Their passing game is good, not great. Hurts has 13 TDs but has thrown 8 pics- 3 more than Dak.
  • WR AJ Brown has been a stud- already has 60 receptions and 5 TDs. He’s on pace for a 110-120 catch season. He’s tough to cover because he’s fast and fights well for the ball.
  • Their D has an excellent pass rush and already have 25 sacks.
  • They can stop the run. They have allowed less than 80 yards per game through 8 games so far.
WEAKNESSES
  • Hurts has thrown 8 pics in 8 games. If you can force him to stay in the pocket and make tough throws, he’s not as effective.
  • Their secondary is vulnerable if Dak has time.
  • The eagles K Jake Elliott has missed an XP and a couple of FGs lately.
We can beat these guys. But they are still very good.
Its going to take our best game of the year.
I would throw in a couple things.

Washington Kept Hurts in the pocket, and it didn't work. Hurts has 13 TDs, and 6 rushing touchdowns. That has to be accounted for. Their offense is vulnerable to a pass rush because they don't run the ball like you would expect.

Secondary is porous, and the pass rush isn't that great.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would throw in a couple things.

Washington Kept Hurts in the pocket, and it didn't work. Hurts has 13 TDs, and 6 rushing touchdowns. That has to be accounted for. Their offense is vulnerable to a pass rush because they don't run the ball like you would expect.

Secondary is porous, and the pass rush isn't that great.
I agree with everything except about their pass rush. They have 25 sacks so far compared to Cowboys 18. Their DL has been very tough.

btgboys41

Reaction score
Posting the Cowboys results next to theirs didn’t do your argument any favors. They didn’t get punked twice like the Cowboys did. Their Miami and Minnesota games are both good wins. Do the Cowboys have any good wins?

It will get settled Sunday. I actually think the Cowboys are likely to beat them in a close one unless our O and D lines wear skirts again like they did twice this season. Eagles are a legitimately great team though and may be the best in the NFL.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
The eagles are a good football team. I don’t think any of the stats matter especially in a divisional matchup.

I’m not as confident as some, but Dallas does a shot, but they could easily get the doors blown off by 20+.