Why I believe the 7-1 PHI team is a paper Eagle

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Are we supposed to just ignore the fact of the Cowboys played those highlighted teams at home while the Eagles played them on the road?
You can adjust for the home field effect. It is not going to change the outcome significantly.

sarge1116

Reaction score
Let’s not forget their victory against the Dolphins was not as impressive as the media made it out to be. They beat a wounded Dolphin team with 3 starting Olineman out. Another got hurt in the game and Waddle was not 100%. The 2 starting corners including Jalen Ramsey were out. Not to mentioned they had the Refs in their pockets all night. Not one penalty against the Eagles.
Let's not forgot the eagles were missing both their starting safetys that game, their starting right guard too. But no one seems to talk about that. Penalties aside , eagles whooped miami on the o line and dline. Penalties argument is lame and ultimately evens itself out over the course of the season.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll let u know in 4 days who's ligit and who's just walking through the regular season.
I hope it's us.

Brooksey

Reaction score
1. Comparables.

2023-11-01_12-23-15.png.b58e6dc70cff06e0dff689d776ec7c74.png
2023-11-01_12-22-06.png.bba6eab31b4c972f98721949f24326c2.png

2. A single impressive victory... Miami. And a single victory in which the outcome was never really in doubt... Tampa Bay.

This is a fortunate team. Yes, it's sometimes better to be lucky than good. No doubt. This post is just looking at the question of "how good are they really?"

They might be the weakest, most vulnerable 7-1 team in recent memory.

Now, none of that matters to Sunday's outcome specifically. They could continue to be fortunate, and we could lose. Reality, otoh, is most NFL games are that way... a bad team that plays at or near their ceiling often is capable of defeating a good team that plays at or near its floor.

I'm only making the point that is the subject header... this Eagles team has so far proven to be something less than the hype they're enjoying from being 7-1.
This game will be about our passing game. We have to get it out quick while moving it downfield like last week and we can beat 'em.

We can't put ourselves into an early hole with turnovers on the road

mcmvp

Reaction score
You can't seriously be comparing point differentials and chalking up those kinds of numbers to home/away... maybe if we're talking Cowboys won by 10, and Eagles won by 3. That's not this. Conventional wisdom as always been that home field advantage is worth a field goal to Vegas.
I get Vegas…but the betting line’s only goal is to attempt to get an equal amount of bettors on each side of the wager. It’s not how things automatically play out it reality.

These point swings for common opponents happen every year in the NFL and you can take almost nothing from them. It’s not just who you play, it’s when you play them and where you play them. There’s not a single team in the NFL that brings their A game every single week.

To bring your own point back to you, if Vegas really thought your point differentials for common opponents mattered that much, wouldn’t the Cowboys be favored despite the Eagles being the home team? Using your logic, they would be…but they are not. There is your answer

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Comparables.

2. A single impressive victory... Miami. And a single victory in which the outcome was never really in doubt... Tampa Bay.

This is a fortunate team. Yes, it's sometimes better to be lucky than good. No doubt. This post is just looking at the question of "how good are they really?"

Now, none of that matters to Sunday's outcome specifically. They could continue to be fortunate, and we could lose. Reality, otoh, is most NFL games are that way... a bad team that plays at or near their ceiling often is capable of defeating a good team that plays at or near its floor.

I'm only making the point that is the subject header... this Eagles team has so far proven to be something less than the hype they're enjoying from being 7-1.
And what’s our “impressive” victory? Our best win currently is over a 4-3 team with the worst QB in the NFL. All of our other wins are against sub .500 teams. And oh yeah, we lost to the worst team in the NFL. Their win over Miami was impressive considering that offense was putting up numbers not seen since the early 2000’s Rams “Greatest show on turf”.

Glass houses my friend. Glass houses. It is entirely possible we are the paper tiger. I guess we find out Sunday.

Mark

Reaction score
I just hope the officials don't decide the game.

Last week, we saw what the Cowboys can do when they're not getting flagged every other play.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
4-2-2 against the spread, and of those 8 games, only 1 came against a team that currently has a winning record.

I guess, though, I'm just awfully hard to impress, so there's that.
Who cares about the spread? if you’re a gambler, fine… But this isn’t a Gambling board.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
The Eagles control their own destiny. They have a tough next 6 games coming up if they can go at least 4-2 in that span they'll probably be the #1 seed. I'm hoping they bottom out and go 2-4 but I think they're a pretty good team and probably won't.
I believe the Cowboys also control their own destiny. If we win out, we are the number one seed in the NFC.

kskboys

Reaction score
1. Comparables.

I think it's even simpler than that. IMO they have an overrated QB who has been exposed.

kskboys

Reaction score
so the eagles are a bad team? andalso gimme a ****en break with your houston astros avatar WHO CHEATED in all their world series, heck i believe they cheated again in the 2022 WS, is that a texas custom, cheat in order to win?
IDK is it a custom to be so jealous of a winner? Sounds like you need some counseling.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I'm just not a full believer in our defense yet. I'm approaching this game like every game.
If we can control and limit their running game, we have a very good chance to win.
If their OL dominates and they run the ball well, that will kill our defense. We will lose.

bottleKids

Reaction score
1. Comparables.

Great we should win then no problem and we should get another week of rankings mattering and Dak's accuracy being tops in the NFL. I can't wait! 6-2 baby!

bottleKids

Reaction score
There's really no dominate team right now.

Niners hit with injury bug and have fallen apart the last three weeks

Chiefs haven't looked "chief ish" this entire season and one can argue they were granted one win argurably two by the refs

Eagles haven't looked all that dominate bar a game or two.

Miami got shutdown by the bills and eagles

Bills have fallen apart and beaten up injury wise. Allen is currently hurt as well

Ravens are pretty hot right now though

Cincy starting to warm up like they usually do. Burrow finally healthy it seems and they start sloooow

Absolutely no reason why the boys should be out of anything with the amount of talent they have.
Finally a middle of road confident but not too confident post. You might be my new favorite poster here !:yourock:

Everything you said is 100% right. We 100% have EVERY shot of winning this game and should be right there.. but the Eagles are not some crap team to be taken lightly like some of our fanbase are seemingly thinking.

bottleKids

Reaction score
The Eagles control their own destiny. They have a tough next 6 games coming up if they can go at least 4-2 in that span they'll probably be the #1 seed. I'm hoping they bottom out and go 2-4 but I think they're a pretty good team and probably won't.
This is true, but the pressure is on them this week, as they need to go 3-3 at least but they have to win this week. I don't see them beating us in Dallas. For me this is a must win for them, which should put pressure on them.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
The home and away does make a difference when comparing common opponents but I do agree this philly team is less formidable than last year. A year where a Cooper Rush team lost 17-26 on the road and we beat the Gardner Minshew led eagles 40-34 at home. We'll learn a lot on Sunday.

aikemirv

Reaction score
So does Dallas as they play them twice...Controlling your own destiny is meaningless at this point!