Why I believe the 7-1 PHI team is a paper Eagle

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
1. Comparables.

2023-11-01_12-23-15.png.b58e6dc70cff06e0dff689d776ec7c74.png
2023-11-01_12-22-06.png.bba6eab31b4c972f98721949f24326c2.png

2. A single impressive victory... Miami. And a single victory in which the outcome was never really in doubt... Tampa Bay.

This is a fortunate team. Yes, it's sometimes better to be lucky than good. No doubt. This post is just looking at the question of "how good are they really?"

They might be the weakest, most vulnerable 7-1 team in recent memory.

Now, none of that matters to Sunday's outcome specifically. They could continue to be fortunate, and we could lose. Reality, otoh, is most NFL games are that way... a bad team that plays at or near their ceiling often is capable of defeating a good team that plays at or near its floor.

I'm only making the point that is the subject header... this Eagles team has so far proven to be something less than the hype they're enjoying from being 7-1.
Lol they have been “lucky” a lot.

InDakEyeBack

Reaction score
The Eagles control their own destiny. They have a tough next 6 games coming up if they can go at least 4-2 in that span they'll probably be the #1 seed. I'm hoping they bottom out and go 2-4 but I think they're a pretty good team and probably won't.

Sydla

Reaction score
You can't seriously be comparing point differentials and chalking up those kinds of numbers to home/away... maybe if we're talking Cowboys won by 10, and Eagles won by 3. That's not this. Conventional wisdom as always been that home field advantage is worth a field goal to Vegas.
You can’t really play the comparable game at any level.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Lol they have been “lucky” a lot.
4-2-2 against the spread, and of those 8 games, only 1 came against a team that currently has a winning record.

I guess, though, I'm just awfully hard to impress, so there's that.

InDakEyeBack

Reaction score
4-2-2 against the spread, and of those 8 games, only 1 came against a team that currently has a winning record.

I guess, though, I'm just awfully hard to impress, so there's that.
Ok well the Cardinals haven't won a single game except against us. I think it's fair to say the Eagles are better than the Cardinals. It's hard to win on the road in the NFL and if we don't win who cares about point spreads? I am not into gambling I am into winning football games.

I'd rather beat a good team by 1 point than a sorry team by 40 points. We've more or less beaten sorry teams by a lot. It doesn't make us better than the Eagles though. (unless we prove it on the field)

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Isn’t it obvious? Anyone the OP is showing his thread to is ‘we’…what a strange question
Isn't the given advantage +3 to the home team? Can you just add or subtract as "home team" applies? After you've done that tell me how it added up.

I came up with Dallas +68 and Philthy +46. That is just giving the home team +3 on top of their score. Easygals have also played one more game.

Straight up point averages went like this:
Dallas avg. 28.1 pts/gm on offense while allowing 17.1 pts/gm on D

Philthy avg 28 pts/gm on offense while allowing 21.5 pts/gm on D

_sturt_

Reaction score
You can’t really play the comparable game at any level.
Welcome to hold your own conclusions like anyone else, of course.

And maybe it's just not your purpose to try to persuade--it's enough for you to just go on record... no supporting substance necessary. That's fine.

For the record for my part, I think that's accurate if the games being compared are spread out over time far enough.

8 weeks, though? Nah. That matters. Eagles have not impressed over all. Both teams have left a lot to be desired, sure. But the Cowboys' status has been assessed much more appropriately in the media that I've seen. Eagles are getting mad love in comparison to what is deserved, and that really... again... is the focus of the thread.

_sturt_

Reaction score
It doesn't make us better than the Eagles though
Who you arguing with? Not me.

Now, none of that matters to Sunday's outcome specifically. They could continue to be fortunate, and we could lose. Reality, otoh, is most NFL games are that way... a bad team that plays at or near their ceiling often is capable of defeating a good team that plays at or near its floor.

I'm only making the point that is the subject header... this Eagles team has so far proven to be something less than the hype they're enjoying from being 7-1.

InDakEyeBack

Reaction score
I see your point but style points don't really matter the Eagles have the best record in the NFL right now who cares how they accomplished it no other team even is tied with them. They deserve the praise right now. If they aren't that good like you say their record will eventually reflect it in the form of losses. Their schedule is tough coming up.

Cowboys
@Chiefs
Bills
49ers
@Cowboys
@Seahawks

If they're pretenders they'll lose more of those games than they'll win if they're contenders they'll go 4-2 or better. It will all work itself out on the field.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Let's not forget the refs rigged the game against Miami
Let’s not forget their victory against the Dolphins was not as impressive as the media made it out to be. They beat a wounded Dolphin team with 3 starting Olineman out. Another got hurt in the game and Waddle was not 100%. The 2 starting corners including Jalen Ramsey were out. Not to mentioned they had the Refs in their pockets all night. Not one penalty against the Eagles.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
They have won some ugly games, but the way they beat up the Dolphins told me they were legit. I still think we can win.

_sturt_

Reaction score
style points don't really matter
It matters to the subject of this thread... essentially, the regard they're currently receiving versus what their actual performance has shown.

It does not, to your point, matter to whether they can get to the NFL holy grail, nor if they will win on Sunday. But neither of those are the topic here. I've been consistent and specific.

InDakEyeBack

Reaction score
It matters to the subject of this thread... essentially, the regard they're currently receiving versus what their actual performance has shown.

It does not, to your point, matter to whether they can get to the NFL holy grail, nor if they will win on Sunday. But neither of those are the topic here. I've been consistent and specific.
So you're worried about media praise after Week 8? What good will it do at the end of the year?

_sturt_

Reaction score
So you're worried about media praise after Week 8? What good will it do at the end of the year?
"Worried?"

I don't get your persistence here.

It's a discussion board. We discuss things.

Don't think I have to defend the worthiness of discussing whether our next opponent is as strong as they're generally portrayed right now.

But you do you.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
1. Comparables.

2023-11-01_12-23-15.png.b58e6dc70cff06e0dff689d776ec7c74.png
2023-11-01_12-22-06.png.bba6eab31b4c972f98721949f24326c2.png

2. A single impressive victory... Miami. And a single victory in which the outcome was never really in doubt... Tampa Bay.

This is a fortunate team. Yes, it's sometimes better to be lucky than good. No doubt. This post is just looking at the question of "how good are they really?"

They might be the weakest, most vulnerable 7-1 team in recent memory.

It’s going to be like heading into a hornets nest on Sunday. Hopefully you still feel the same about Philly after the game.

The Natural

Reaction score
Are we supposed to just ignore the fact of the Cowboys played those highlighted teams at home while the Eagles played them on the road?
so in other words you also want points deducted for beating Miami at home and for the Commanders giving you all you can handle in your house.