CFZ Why I believe there's no way this is a tear down-rebuild off-season

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are only a month into what is a full six months of the NFL‘s 2024 off-season calendar, and already many Cowboys fans are jumping to conclusions that may not be true. After Jerry’s infamous “All In” comments, many expected big changes in how this team approached the off-season. They of course haven’t surfaced.

And after the disappointing inactivity of this front office early in free agency, the loss of multiple FA starters to other teams, and a seeming willingness to let Dak Prescott play 2024 without a new contract or extension, some fans are seeing this as a “tear down and rebuild”. They see these signs as the team stripping it all down for a new QB, new HC, and rebuilt roster for 2025. In other words, some are seeing all this inactivity as a bigger plan to just clear the decks and start over.

I say there’s no way this FO is doing a tear down-rebuild. Why? Two reasons:

1. In the Jerry Jones era since 1989, this front office has only done two deliberately planned rebuilds: One under Jimmy Johnson from 1989-1992 and the second under Bill Parcells from 2003-2006. The Jones FO has NEVER done a rebuild without a strong HC in charge because they can’t do it. (Anyone who says 2016 was a rebuild- it was an accident- not planned)
  2. Jerry and Stephen Jones literally do NOT know how to build a championship contending roster in the cap era. They have never done it. If they could do it, they would have already done it.
I of course could be wrong. Maybe JJ and SJ are spending this off-season just planning a complete re-tooling of this team’s future including a new QB and HC for 2025. But I don’t think so.

In fact, I predict this front office is planning on continuing their some old off-season approach of going cheap in FA, put all your improvement chips on the draft, and at the last minute re-sign the same QB that has gone 36-15 the last 3 regular seasons. I think that is a big mistake and one that will produce the same results we’ve been getting which is a WC playoff win every 4-5 years at best.

I understand why some fans are saying, “Big changes are coming.” I’m saying expect to see more of the same. I don’t like that and I hope I’m wrong. But why would we think the Jones boys suddenly “get it”, when we have three decades of evidence that say otherwise. Since SJ got a bigger say in what happens around here, when was the last big off-season “gamble“ this FO took?

Again, I hope I’m wrong.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are only a month into what is a full six months of the NFL‘s 2024 off-season calendar, and already many Cowboys fans are jumping to conclusions that may not be true. After Jerry’s infamous “All In” comments, many expected big changes in how this team approached the off-season. They of course haven’t surfaced.

And after the disappointing inactivity of this front office early in free agency, the loss of multiple FA starters to other teams, and a seeming willingness to let Dak Prescott play 2024 without a new contract or extension, some fans are seeing this as a “tear down and rebuild”. They see these signs as the team stripping it all down for a new QB, new HC, and rebuilt roster for 2025. In other words, some are seeing all this inactivity as a bigger plan to just clear the decks and start over.

1. In the Jerry Jones era since 1989, this front office has only done two deliberately planned rebuilds: One under Jimmy Johnson from 1989-1992 and the second under Bill Parcells from 2003-2006. The Jones FO has NEVER done a rebuild without a strong HC in charge because they can’t do it. (Anyone who says 2016 was a rebuild- it was an accident- not planned)
  2. Jerry and Stephen Jones literally do NOT know how to build a championship contending roster in the cap era. They have never done it. If they could do it, they would have already done it.
I of course could be wrong. Maybe JJ and SJ are spending this off-season just planning a complete re-tooling of this team’s future including a new QB and HC for 2025. But I don’t think so.

In fact, I predict this front office is planning on continuing their some old off-season approach of going cheap in FA, put all your improvement chips on the draft, and at the last minute re-sign the same QB that has gone 36-15 the last 3 regular seasons. I think that is a big mistake and one that will produce the same results we’ve been getting which is a WC playoff win every 4-5 years at best.

I understand why some fans are saying, “Big changes are coming.” I’m saying expect to see more of the same. I don’t like that and I hope I’m wrong. But why would we think the Jones boys suddenly “get it”, when we have three decades of evidence that say otherwise. Since SJ got a bigger say in what happens around here, when was the last big off-season “gamble“ this FO took?

Again, I hope I’m wrong.
I agree. Nothing new coming. Jerry’s “all in” was fan food. He doesn’t address issues, he tries to create a positive narrative around them. He and jr are fossils in today’s nfl and need comfort and need control.

Never got people differentiating owner from GM saying he’s good at one and not the other. He sucks on both accounts. Only a crap owner would have such a crappy GM.

MarkP88

Reaction score

Again, I hope I’m wrong.
Unfortunately, you are right.

1942willys

Reaction score
I agree. Nothing new coming. Jerry’s “all in” was fan food. He doesn’t address issues, he tries to create a positive narrative around them. He and jr are fossils in today’s nfl and need comfort and need control.

Never got people differentiating owner from GM saying he’s good at one and not the other. He sucks on both accounts. Only a crap owner would have such a crappy GM.
Jerry Jones might be the wealthiest circus carny there is

chuck520

Reaction score

Again, I hope I’m wrong.
Its not going to matter because they dont know how to rebuild and too cheap to try to build a Super Bowl championship team if they are close. They will/can only go so far then they get cheap and rebuild.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
I think they haven’t resigned Dak yet, is because they have no intention whatsoever of trying to strengthen the team through free agency… and when they do resign him, and they will, the cap space will be used for resigning Cee Dee and Parsons.
As you say, they don’t know how to build a championship winning roster, and it’s likely going to continue like this for years to come.
The only slim chance we have, is maybe Jimmy can have enough influence and a strategy that avoids us making a catastrophic mistake in giving Dak an enormous deal that effectively cripples us for the next 4-5 years.
If we are going for a rebuild, this is the opportunity.

Havic

Reaction score
Rebuilding means admitting you were wrong and the Jones boys will never do that. We are not close, infact after this last season we are now even further behind. We have done nothing to noticeably improve the roster, while everyone else in our division has. We are a fringe playoff team at this point

glimmerman

Reaction score
I just wish he didn’t come out and say this is an all in year. Made some of us think he was going to actually keep the stars and get rid of dead weight and actively go after the pieces needed. A few good Lbs and DT. Get the O-Line in shape and go into the season with strong trenches and running game. Maybe a new WR target for Dak and away we go.

We finally have a DC that believes in big boys in the middle to stop the run and was hoping for a new O-Line coach that likes aggressive power blocking.

We make the playoffs and can’t run the ball effectively and sure enough can’t stop the run. You leave your QB having to put it in the air the whole game. Most playoff talented teams will bait and wait for that bad or close window pass to jump on. Then the OC has to double down on the pass to make up for it. Meanwhile the other team is putting up points and burning the clock.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You’re 100% right that the Jones boys have no clue on how to build a roster that can make a deep playoff run.

I don’t care what Jerry and son say, it is business as usual around here like it always is.
They see Diggs and Overshown coming back.

They see Bass and Hoffman in starting roles.

They see Tolbert replacing Gallup and more.

They see Sam Williams and Fehoko filling in nicely into the rotation.

The problem is GM Jethro is an overly optimistic gambler, who does not have any contingency plans.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score

Again, I hope I’m wrong.
100%

Except for one point, if I may, there have been big changes, just outgoing, not incoming (in fairness you did state that in the next paragraph).

If they are counting on any of the returning injured and rookies to help keep the division championship, they will be sorely disappointed.

Plus, an aging LB, and an undersized DL in Mazi, I don’t see a lot to be hopeful about. Most of the remaining FA vets are also aging/injured/underperforming or all three.

This upcoming season could implode quickly.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I occasionally see the “big changes are coming“ comments from fans here, but if they were planning on big changes they show no signs of it. And for those saying Dak is not going to be re-signed, disappointment is coming. Im ready to move on from #4 but I see zero signs that the FO is ready to move on. Their reluctance in taking contract action is very typical for them.

They almost always negotiate in public thinking that helps them but their stalling has cost them every time with Dak. They will wait until t(e last minute and sign him again. They don’t know any other way. They haven’t drafted a QB in round one since Jerry had darker hair and no face lifts back in ‘89. They are the most risk averse franchise ever when it comes to QB.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Again, I hope I’m wrong.
I don't think Jerry considers it a rebuild, but I do think it's a soft-reset for 2025.

To me, there are two signs I am waiting to see happen before that is confirmed.

1) The first and biggest sign will be if they avoid or at least hold-off extending Dak this season.

I am not saying they are going to move on from him because their quotes say otherwise, but even if they are going to bring Dak back in 2025, it would be smart for them to start with a new contract and get this one off the books rather than push the same problem down the line.

At the same time, it gives them an opportunity to move on from Dak in 2025 as well.

I think if they are not just doing this at the moment to gain leverage in negotiation and truly are planing to wait until after the season to make a decision, then I think that is a great idea.

That way, if the cards line up and they can get a new starter in 2025, they can move on from Dak, but even if they bring Dak back in 2025, it will be under a new contract that they can better plan around moving on from him when they are ready.

2) The second sign will be if they trade out of the first round in the 2024 draft to pick up a second 1st round pick in the 2025 draft.

Doing that would provide them an option of trading up in 2025 to select a potential franchise quarterback regardless of whether they have Dak, promote Lance or sign another free agent quarterback in 2025

My biggest concern is that the only reason for the extension delay is that they just haven't come to an agreement yet because if that's the case, it will be more of the same old thing if they extend Dak this season.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Again, I hope I’m wrong.
Fully agree, and don’t see where we go from here.

It really needs to get to where it’s much worse before it has a remote shot of getting much better.

There’s two ways…

-They hire a Harbaugh type to come in and have full control.

-They luck into a Peyton Manning type QB, which means disaster season coincides with that player being in that draft.

It’s abundantly clear they aren’t building on something that hasn’t peaked yet, and are getting worse on paper. The last few drafts have hurt. I absolutely do NOT want these two heading a rebuild with Milli Vanilli in the background, so I’m not sure what to even root for as a fan.