CFZ Why I believe there's no way this is a tear down-rebuild off-season

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Lol-nope. Read my description of who I consider a serious contender in the NFL again. Get to the final four or put up a nasty fight against one of the final four, and that makes the team a serious contender for that season. Nice try at putting words in other people’s mouths.

Just getting to a title game obviously makes a team a serious contender-that’s how it always works.
so were the Cowboys a contender in 2014?, how about 2016?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
and i disagree 100%.... and yes we are absolutely splitting hairs on what a contender is. if you are the number 1 or 2 seed heading into the playoffs, you are absolutely a contender. Many 1 seeds have been bounced in rd 1 in the past 15 years. To say a 1 seed was never a contender because they lost their 1st rd game is ludicrous.

The Giants team that was 7-7 and they were calling for Coughlin to be fired were never considered a contender that season. Then they went out and won the SB.
He said "after the results" though. A high seed may be proven not to be as competitive as expected or a low seed may prove to be a handful for anyone. Once all the facts are in, you should have general consensus of how the final rankings should look.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
He said "after the results" though. A high seed may be proven not to be as competitive as expected or a low seed may prove to be a handful for anyone. Once all the facts are in, you should have general consensus of how the final rankings should look.
A contender is where a team is BEFOE you go into the playoffs. Contenders are determined by how they have played all season long, not by how they actually did in the playoffs. A team that is 13-3 and then lays a goose egg in the playoffs is now labeled as never having been a contender? uhm..... ok, whatever.

Blitzen

Reaction score
so were the Cowboys a contender in 2014?, how about 2016?

They were a serious contender in both seasons as they gave the Packers quite a game both times. Also a serious contender in 2007. The team has not looked as strong as that 2016 season except maybe 2022 when the defense really was playing elite ball-the offense just could do nothing at all. The offense has never looked as strong as 2016 - no matter yardage and points after. Zeke running behind that line has every defense (except NY) shaking in their cleats. Witten and Dez still playing very well.

The team has either an elite offense average defense or elite defense average offense in their best seasons. Which is typical. The team has gone as far as they can go with the current starting QB. An extension will just be a sideways trajectory before the inevitable plummet.

Blitzen

Reaction score
This would make more sense to me had they not added void years to Dak's contract and not brought MM back...ooh and there is also this we be saying we think this FO has a plan and thats a hard sell for me..

They allowed tons of their players (buckets of snaps) to walk without much effort in running it back. Since they cannot run it back with the same squad, they obviously do not believe that squad was special or worthy of keeping together. Never said they had a master plan.

This seems more and more like a *** it-we’ll see what happens off-season. The coaches are all lame ducks-and I think they are just too cheap to go with another coach (I don’t think they believe a new head coach would move the needle much with the current squad). Not sure what happens this next season except that Dallas will again not make the CCG.

Blitzen

Reaction score
A contender is where a team is BEFOE you go into the playoffs. Contenders are determined by how they have played all season long, not by how they actually did in the playoffs. A team that is 13-3 and then lays a goose egg in the playoffs is now labeled as never having been a contender? uhm..... ok, whatever.

The team that lays a goose egg is labeled a pretender-not a serious contender since they did not perform admirably in a loss. It depends on context. Josh Allen basically making all the correct plays and scoring tons with their offense versus KC cannot make field goals or play defense to stop Pat. Two playoff games that were extremely tight.

Dak has crapped his pants in most first halves of playoff games. Some guys choke when the playoff lights get too bright-that is Dak. Which is why lots of us call the team pretenders if he is the starter. No big deal.

kskboys

Reaction score
Didn't read the threads so I'm probably repeating the same things others have said numerous times

1) Jerrys age
2) They have not shown the capability of building a team by themselves
3) Jerry would have to admit he was wrong and that coming from someone with his narcissistic mindset is never happening.
4) Money and public image would slip for a few years. Jerry needs to field just a relevant enough team to keep the money flowing.

Basically we have a better shot a getting a date with Scarlett johansson
I just need a 30 minute date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
they didnt even bring in a new HC....i dont think this is the "Reset" some think it is.
Unless you look at 25 as the reset year. This year would be about getting big contracts off the books.

Now, if it really is, we should be looking at acquiring some draft picks. Unfortunately, Jerry just isn't that smart.

kskboys

Reaction score
they didnt even bring in a new HC....i dont think this is the "Reset" some think it is.
Oh, and yes they did. Zimmer will be the HC of the Cowboys in 25. Barring a miraculous super bowl appearance, of course.