Why I don’t think we should sign Cooper

John813

Reaction score
Wait, will this make our 2019 draft class bad now??? lol

I think two things are certain, Dak and Cooper will be here in 2020. One may play on the tag but I think they don't let Cooper walk.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Remember when everyone howled how the Raiders fleeced both the Cowboys & Steelers by trading away Coop to Dallas for a 1st and for Antonio Brown with third-round and fifth-round picks in the 2019 NFL Draft ? Las Vegas is now projected to take a WR in the first round this year as they lack a No#1 wide-out.............................

Hadenough

Reaction score
The best value at 17 is going to be Jeudy or Lamb when they slip.

Should work it out with Prescott already because they are going to eventually cave....and tag Cooper.

If the draft goes your way you lift the tag.
Or sign Cooper and still draft Jeudy or Lamb. Then target defensive players the rest of the way. I wonder what Dallas does if Lamb and Delpit are both on the board when they pick.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
The Cowboys spent a 1st rounder just 17 months ago to get him. They will resign him. Otherwise they will have to spend additional draft capital to get another WR to take his place.

So? Dallas selected Taco Charlton in the 1st round and a few seasons after they released him for nothing while then sending a late draft pick to Miami for Quinn. Just because they spent a 1st to trade for Cooper should not mandate that they invest $15M+/season on Cooper.

There are plenty of WR's in this draft class they can select whereas the draft depth at CB is much thinner so I say re-sign Byron Jones and let Cooper walk if need be.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I get that. But is that the wisest decision now to sign him as the highest or second highest paid receiver in the league? Legit question.

Yeah, my first inclination is of course you sign him. Yes we just spend the 1st round 2019 pick on him, and who would allow their 1st round pick leave after a very productive season after 1 year? No one! However, if he was a true 1st round pick from 2019, they'd be sitting here today with a star receiver on a cheap rookie deal for 4 more years. not the case, so I agree, it is not the no-brainer, it seems at first glance. With that said I think they sign him, I would not re-sign Cobb and use the draft to replace him.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Coopers contract will be a big one and may appear as a killer but the real killer was Elliot and his agent. 2 years early he holds out because he wanted to get to the pie before Cooper or Dak. Not waiting his turn was a gamble. If JJ let him go it would have set a new tune for future contract negotiations.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
The team has failed to take advantage of the most valuable asset in pro football, the rookie contract. You can't pay every guy their full market value when they want it and replace rookies with more expensive veterans. Thats the recipe for disaster.
We graduated from screwing up 2nd round picks to screwing up 1st round picks.

InTheZone

Reaction score
If we don't sign Cooper then we wasted another talent on Dak waiting for him to do something. Wasted a 1st round pick to help him not look terribad. We don't have a top qb to just keep throwing away our best picks and expect playoff success.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. Cooper, like Dak, isn't going anywhere.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Not a fan of giving someone whose literally disappeared in the 2nd half of the season in 2 out of the 3 last seasons.......

Is that really someone you want to give 3 years of elite high dollar guaranteed money to ?

Would you rather have Byron Jones + 2 upgrade DT's for the similiar total price and draft a WR in the 2nd round (stacked WR class by the way) or keep an injury prone Cooper ?
It's more of a scheme issue (offense or defense) or the qb. Considering the track record of wrs over the last 4 years I find it hard to believe a quick shifty guy like Cooper is just suddenly a problem at a specific time in the year.

fredp22

Reaction score
Hot sports opinion here: I don’t think the Cowboys need to sign Amari Cooper. Yes, I know I will take missiles for this but hear me out.

Yes, Cooper is an excellent receiver, I get that. Yes, he has played very well here and has had great chemistry with Dak most of the time. Yes, Jerry gave up a first rounder to get him. Understood. Yes, he’s a hard worker and good person off the field...I get that too. But here are my reasons why I don’t think it’s in the best interest of this team to sign Amari Cooper:
  • First of all, having a big contract WR AND big dollar RB is not usually a common formula for a championship roster. In fact, I think the Zeke contract was a mistake but that’s another argument.
  • I think saving that cap space to invest in other areas of the team would be smarter and have a bigger impact in both the short and long term. Having a deeper roster at multiple positions is how you get better! (Look at the niners last year- they were good at many positions very quickly) We need help at so many positions and we are sinking a fortune in positions that are easier to find talent (RB and WR)

• Michael Gallup will be in his third season, and I believe he’s ready to emerge even more as a go to receiver. Draft a WR in rounds 3-5, and/or sign a cheaper FA with some upside. (Side note: It’s an outdated idea to think you must always have a clear “#1 receiver”. All you need today are multiple receivers that are legit threats)
  • We might be able to afford bringing Randall Cobb back plus a good rookie receiver. (This is a deep draft for receivers) Thus giving us more options and flexibility on a roster that needs a ton of help on the other side of the ball.
Honestly, I think this ship has sailed and I will be surprised if Cooper isn’t signed to a big contract. I like Amari Cooper and I know he will continue to be a great player. And I will certainly be thrilled if keeping him proves we wrong, which could easily happen.

But....I don’t think keeping Amari Cooper is a cornerstone to a championship. Just my opinion.
I usually agree with most of your thinking but between Dez and Cooper this team stalled badly. I dk if it was Garrett, Daks inability to guide the team with no #1 wr, defenses keying on run game, or a mixture of all 3 but we need a true #1. Cooper (because of his salary demand) may not be the answer but having a #1 is. Neither Gallup/Cobb are capable of filling the roll. That leaves the draft but the team has already hinted we will be going defense with 1st pick or FA's and looking at what's available the cost will be close to what Cooper is going to get. No #1 lets def play single coverage with safties keying on "tap out" Zeke.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's more of a scheme issue (offense or defense) or the qb. Considering the track record of wrs over the last 4 years I find it hard to believe a quick shifty guy like Cooper is just suddenly a problem at a specific time in the year.

It was just the wrong time of the year........ season on the line........

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
It's an interesting take @Bobhaze but I think we all remember how this offense performed with and without Cooper in 2019. Granted, Gallup was a younger player, but I don't think any of us have seen Gallup step up to the point where we think he can take over games like Cooper can, nor do I think he can handle the double teams.

The thing is, if I told you that you were getting 2019 Cooper, would it change your mind? I think it would. Though the offense was better in 2020, Cooper had a down year. He was clearly troubled by injuries and, because he's one of those players who plays through injuries, and that is to his detriment in some ways.

I'll take it a step further, give me Amari Cooper as my WR1, Michael Gallup as a WR2 playmaker, then draft a speed receiver like Ruggs to stretch the field with Cobb as your #4 in plays exclusively out of the slot. Oh yeah, did I mention Dez Bryant as a TE/4th WR in the red zone... but I digress :)

MaineBoy

Reaction score
I don’t know with Coop. The only worst scenario is having spent a 1st rounder on Cooper AND giving him a big contract and still not having a number 1 receiver due to his disappearing act in road games or big games. Plus, he seems to have a tendency to get nicked up and hurt often. And when he disappears, he vanishes.

Maybe a rookie receiver on a rookie contract from a deep receiver draft class is not so bad.

the other question for me on Coop is that while I like him, he seems to be soft personality wise. Sometimes he looks like he is disinterested and in his own world. Hell, I think all of these 3 new triplets are soft personality wise. Emmitt was a warrior who played with a dislocated shoulder, Zeke takes himself out on big downs when he’s winded. Cooper compared to Irvin’s fire ? Sheeesh. And Dak is popular but Aikman seemed a more serious and intense leader. Sure as heck Aikman was a more accurate passer...lol.

Jerry locking us in to big contracts with Cooper, Zeke, and Dak to me is not a recipe for championships. They will cash their checks and perform reasonably well but when it is gut check time, nah. I watched the real Triplets play, I saw the real Triplets win Championships. Theses soft pretzel Triplets are not any match to the toughness of the real Triplets.

You willing to let a resource you just spent a 1st round pick on to walk out the door? Then turn around and spend another high draft pick a month from now trying to replace him? What if that player busts out? Then you have to spend yet another high draft pick on a WR. Pay Cooper. That is the cost of doing business now because the Cowboys didn't extend him at the time of the trade. He is a proven player. Draft picks aren't. 2nd, 3rd, 4th highest paid WR doesn't matter. Other WR will get more than him each year. 2-3 years from now it won't seem like such an unreasonable deal.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Hot sports opinion here: I don’t think the Cowboys need to sign Amari Cooper. Yes, I know I will take missiles for this but hear me out.

Yes, Cooper is an excellent receiver, I get that. Yes, he has played very well here and has had great chemistry with Dak most of the time. Yes, Jerry gave up a first rounder to get him. Understood. Yes, he’s a hard worker and good person off the field...I get that too. But here are my reasons why I don’t think it’s in the best interest of this team to sign Amari Cooper:
  • First of all, having a big contract WR AND big dollar RB is not usually a common formula for a championship roster. In fact, I think the Zeke contract was a mistake but that’s another argument.
  • I think saving that cap space to invest in other areas of the team would be smarter and have a bigger impact in both the short and long term. Having a deeper roster at multiple positions is how you get better! (Look at the niners last year- they were good at many positions very quickly) We need help at so many positions and we are sinking a fortune in positions that are easier to find talent (RB and WR)

• Michael Gallup will be in his third season, and I believe he’s ready to emerge even more as a go to receiver. Draft a WR in rounds 3-5, and/or sign a cheaper FA with some upside. (Side note: It’s an outdated idea to think you must always have a clear “#1 receiver”. All you need today are multiple receivers that are legit threats)
  • We might be able to afford bringing Randall Cobb back plus a good rookie receiver. (This is a deep draft for receivers) Thus giving us more options and flexibility on a roster that needs a ton of help on the other side of the ball.
Honestly, I think this ship has sailed and I will be surprised if Cooper isn’t signed to a big contract. I like Amari Cooper and I know he will continue to be a great player. And I will certainly be thrilled if keeping him proves we wrong, which could easily happen.

But....I don’t think keeping Amari Cooper is a cornerstone to a championship. Just my opinion.

I agree with you that Elliott's contract was a mistake. Yes Elliott led the league 2 out of his first 3 seasons but last season his production dropped. They should have played Elliott's bluff last season and went with Pollard until Elliott realized that the Cowboys weren't going cave in on his demands. Elliott had last year plus the Cowboys could have used the 5th year option for this season which both would have been much less on the cap. The after this season they could have evaluated where Elliott is and if he's still a league leader or if his production dropped a little this season too showing a trend. They could have then drafted another back in the 3rd or 4th round this draft and again have the RB position on rookie contracts.

Most playoff teams have high priced QB's, the chiefs obviously an exception with Mahomes on a rookie contract, but also have a couple other players with hefty contracts too. You can't have a championship caliber team if all you do is get players on the cheap because the talent level matches that cheap. If you have a good player that that is thought to be one of the top players in the league, teams will have to pay the price. My thought on players like Cooper on paying for them is would I rather have him making plays for the Cowboys helping them to win or having him making those plays against the Cowboys helping another team beat the Cowboys. Here's another thought on Cooper. He got double coverage or coverage sided toward him leaving Gallup with single coverage. Without Cooper will Gallup be as effective with him now getting the double coverage as the #1 receiver or was a lot of his success last season due to only having single coverage?

Like you none of know for sure and these are only our opinions. Also like you I hope however it pans out the Cowboys win and do great..

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think a big part of the debate here is how much cap space is used for offense vs elsewhere, and also the idea of using a first on a #1 WR, then letting him walk.

My take is that Cooper is NOT a #1 WR, and THATS why you let him go.

The guy absolutely disappears in games, so is very easily taken out, probably when he doesnt feel like playing, or care much if they win or lose that day.

That was the rap on him in Oakland, and the change of scenery probably sparked him a bit but that's gone.

This team already has too many signed players who dont seem all that upset about losing.

You can change coaches all you like, but when theres too many like that making big money, it cant and wont be overcome.

Furthermore, if #4 wants to be paid like an elite QB, he had better get used to losing players around him. If he is THAT good, he shouldnt absolutely have to have a top paid WR. If he isnt, and they pay him what he wants, I cant see it ending well.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Yes, you are right. We should not give him a new deal.

And that makes this crappy deal look so much worse.

But then Dak needs this guy to move the offense at least in garbage time. And i dont think Gallup is ready to be the #1.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The Cowboys had to make that trade. Dez was gone and there were no legit outside WR's on the roster. The 2018 season would have been completely lost if not for Cooper. Instead they went 7-2, made the playoffs and won a game.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not crazy about giving out a $20M a year to a WR either. Cooper is a top 10 WR in this league though. Those are hard to replace. I don't want to spend the 17th pick on yet another WR that may not have the impact Cooper does.

Spending two 1st rounders on a WR in 3 years doesn't sound like the way to build a championship roster to me.
But does our elite paid QB NEED a top OL, AND a top RB, AND a top WR?

Spend Coopers 20M on two defensive FAs, as well as the 17th pick, and that alone makes Dallas a much better overall team.

I don't like Cooper, but my problem is much more about how the $ are allocated.

So we sign Cooper and we have status quo on offense, and also probably status quo on defense.

Happy w that? I'm not. I'll take the three defensive starters and let #4 figure it out with what he has.