Why I don’t think we should sign Cooper

kskboys

Reaction score
The Cowboys had to make that trade. Dez was gone and there were no legit outside WR's on the roster. The 2018 season would have been completely lost if not for Cooper. Instead they went 7-2, made the playoffs and won a game.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not crazy about giving out a $20M a year to a WR either. Cooper is a top 10 WR in this league though. Those are hard to replace. I don't want to spend the 17th pick on yet another WR that may not have the impact Cooper does.

Spending two 1st rounders on a WR in 3 years doesn't sound like the way to build a championship roster to me.
Disagree completely. Kneejerk panic trades are simply not the best idea for longterm success.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The Cowboys spent a 1st rounder just 17 months ago to get him. They will resign him. Otherwise they will have to spend additional draft capital to get another WR to take his place.

What we gave up for him doesn't matter. First rounders are cut/traded all the time BEFORE their rookie contracts are even up.

This is a deep WR class. You don't need to spend a first to replace Cooper.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He was injured last year and still finished 8th in the NFL in receiving yardage. You don't make that guy the highest paid WR but you don't let him walk either.

LOL phantom injury that just popped up in road games. Was he injured with Oakland or down the stretch in 2018?

kskboys

Reaction score
Anyone took a look at his stats lately........they may surprise you. I'm a Coop fan but unless he'll take 3 year at the franchise tag amount, I would simply tag him a couple of years and let him walk. This WR crop is 3 rounds deep for starters according to a couple of twitters I trust. That means you can get possible 1st round talent in the 3rd. So for me, I'm tagging him def this year and maybe next but I'm also targeting his replacement in round 3.

Bottom line, with the cost of the QB position, I would start recycling my WR position with a top pick every 3-4 years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CoopAm00.htm
There are several WR's in rounds 2-4 this year who have nice potential. Pittman, KJ Hill, Jeff Thomas, Cephus, Bryan Edwards, among others.

kskboys

Reaction score
What we gave up for him doesn't matter. First rounders are cut/traded all the time BEFORE their rookie contracts are even up.

This is a deep WR class. You don't need to spend a first to replace Cooper.
Well said.

Big_D

Reaction score
They should've had a deal in place at the time of the trade. Just makes the trade look ridiculously bad at this point. I think WRs can be found in the draft. You shouldn't spend huge cap dollars on a guy in the 1100 7 to 8 TD range. He's very good, just not worth the huge deal. Let another team pay it. You have to be able to find that production at a cheaper rate.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disagree completely. Kneejerk panic trades are simply not the best idea for longterm success.
And they have long term implications. Making a trade using a first round pick almost handcuffs you to keeping that player even though (IMO) it’s not best for your roster. Several on these boards have said “we must” sign Cooper because of the first round investment.

kskboys

Reaction score
And they have long term implications. Making a trade using a first round pick almost handcuffs you to keeping that player even though (IMO) it’s not best for your roster. Several on these boards have said “we must” sign Cooper because of the first round investment.
I thought it was a terrible trade and still do.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought it was a terrible trade and still do.
We’re 15-10 since acquiring Cooper. I know it “saved” the 2018 season. But what did that really gain us? A wild card win and another year of the clapper.

And I’m of the opinion that too many fans still hold on to the outdated idea that you always must have a clear “#1 receiver”. In today’s league, you really just need at least 3 dependable and versatile WRs that are threats to a defense. You don’t have to a dominant receiver to have a productive group of receivers.

kskboys

Reaction score
We’re 15-10 since acquiring Cooper. I know it “saved” the 2018 season. But what did that really gain us? A wild card win and another year of the clapper.

And I’m of the opinion that too many fans still hold on to the outdated idea that you always must have a clear “#1 receiver”. In today’s league, you really just need at least 3 dependable and versatile WRs that are threats to a defense. You don’t have to a dominant receiver to have a productive group of receivers.
At the time, I thought it would've been better to just go w/ what we had, then take the higher draft pick and learn the lesson.

Big_D

Reaction score
At the time, I thought it would've been better to just go w/ what we had, then take the higher draft pick and learn the lesson.

Jerry was always in win now mode. Never worked out that way. Just flying by the seat of his pants with no long term plan. Lets hope McCarthy can change that mindset.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They will give him a new contract for the wrong reasons.

They gave up a 1st and will not think about the other 1sts that have not worked out. They got a season and a half out of him, a hell of a lot more than they got from Charleton.

They credit him, as some do here, with correcting 2018 and think Prescott has to have him to be successful. He if he has to have him then maybe he's not the guy to be QB? I re-watched some of the earlier games just for the offense and both Beasley and Williams were correct, they were getting open. The WR corps was getting blamed and it was not all their fault.

I do not want them to re-sign Cooper and that has little top do with him, he's actually one of the more likable players in the NFL and the anti-diva of WR's. The fact is they're going to be too O heavy with the cap. Prescott, Elliott, Collins, Yosemite, Martin and Smith are all going to be in the top 6 paid at their positions and most higher than that. Re-sign Cooper and that's 7 of the 11 in the top 6. What team can win with that?

This team would have to be a D drafting demon, which they are not, and stay well above the average health line for a season. They are letting the CB1 walk and have to replace him just to get back to being the average D they were last season.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry was always in win now mode. Never worked out that way. Just flying by the seat of his pants with no long term plan. Lets hope McCarthy can change that mindset.
He won't change it, he just has to coach it better than what they had.

Booger didn't hire him to win in the future, the reason he wanted a NFL guy was to win now. He thinks he has a very talented underachieving team. A huge mistake because he expects it to get better without him making it better. He liked all of that "talent talk" about this team, that was ego pleasing. And BS.

Big_D

Reaction score
He won't change it, he just has to coach it better than what they had.

Booger didn't hire him to win in the future, the reason he wanted a NFL guy was to win now. He thinks he has a very talented underachieving team. A huge mistake because he expects it to get better without him making it better. He liked all of that "talent talk" about this team, that was ego pleasing. And BS.

It's weird because if he actually had a long term plan way back in 2007 or even 1994?? he could've won something by now. You would think a 'smart' businessman would know better. But he wastes year after year chasing a ghost.

Big_D

Reaction score
I do see a 180 in coaching. That's a plus.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
he saved our season after we got him.
i don't know toward the end of last season if he was hurt or not...seemed like it...but he's proven enough to me he was worth the trade.
keep him.

He reverted to the same guy he was in Oakland. He's a guy who is among the top at the position when he shows up, but you never know if he will show up. He is a drop machine and took himself out of the game when they needed him the most. He's like a Rolondo McClain sort of player. All of the talent in the world, but just doesn't love football.

Verdict

Reaction score
Hot sports opinion here: I don’t think the Cowboys need to sign Amari Cooper. Yes, I know I will take missiles for this but hear me out.

Yes, Cooper is an excellent receiver, I get that. Yes, he has played very well here and has had great chemistry with Dak most of the time. Yes, Jerry gave up a first rounder to get him. Understood. Yes, he’s a hard worker and good person off the field...I get that too. But here are my reasons why I don’t think it’s in the best interest of this team to sign Amari Cooper:
  • First of all, having a big contract WR AND big dollar RB is not usually a common formula for a championship roster. In fact, I think the Zeke contract was a mistake but that’s another argument.
  • I think saving that cap space to invest in other areas of the team would be smarter and have a bigger impact in both the short and long term. Having a deeper roster at multiple positions is how you get better! (Look at the niners last year- they were good at many positions very quickly) We need help at so many positions and we are sinking a fortune in positions that are easier to find talent (RB and WR)

• Michael Gallup will be in his third season, and I believe he’s ready to emerge even more as a go to receiver. Draft a WR in rounds 3-5, and/or sign a cheaper FA with some upside. (Side note: It’s an outdated idea to think you must always have a clear “#1 receiver”. All you need today are multiple receivers that are legit threats)
  • We might be able to afford bringing Randall Cobb back plus a good rookie receiver. (This is a deep draft for receivers) Thus giving us more options and flexibility on a roster that needs a ton of help on the other side of the ball.
Honestly, I think this ship has sailed and I will be surprised if Cooper isn’t signed to a big contract. I like Amari Cooper and I know he will continue to be a great player. And I will certainly be thrilled if keeping him proves we wrong, which could easily happen.

But....I don’t think keeping Amari Cooper is a cornerstone to a championship. Just my opinion.

This won’t be popular but I would sign Dak NOW and tag Cooper and Byron and trade both for what I could get out of them. ( I think both are worth a second round pick or better)

You would have the Cowboys first round pick and 3 second round picks. Take Lamb or Jeudy with your first round pick. Resign Cobb cheap.

Draft BPA in second round. You might get DT, CB, Safety, LB, DE or two out of that second round and be in good cap shape going forward.

Verdict

Reaction score
He was injured last year and still finished 8th in the NFL in receiving yardage. You don't make that guy the highest paid WR but you don't let him walk either.

It takes two sides to make a deal. You can’t let a player hold you hostage. It’s bad business.