Why I don’t think we should sign Cooper

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unlike 30 other GMs in this league, Jerry Jones qualified for the job of GM the night his check cleared to buy the team. (The bungles Mike Brown is the only other GM/owner and we see how that has gone) Then he hires his kids with lifetime unaccountable contracts, regardless of results. It’s a formula for 25 straight years of playoff irrelevance. But I guess we're supposed to be excited that the Cowboys are “the most financially valuable franchise in sports.”....Whoppeee!
Get you’re #1 in Revenue gear here.

Cowboys#1inrevenue#

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh my..

The answer to your questions is..

Yes

Yes.

I probably go back further than most fans here.

I started at age 14 in 1965. We have owned 4 season tickets since then till now.

We bought bonds when Irving Stadium was built to help build that arena to watch the team play.

Seen everybody play this team ever had over the years..every coach, every owner.

At a time when this team was being ground into obscurity, Jones bought the team and hired Johnson to coach.

3 SBs later..Jerrah is still here.

So kick around points about why or why not.

I just appreciate what has been and what will be again.

It maybe with Stephen and that's fine.

But the team and owner you want to beat on lead the entire world in sports entertainment.

The World.

Let that sink in.

I like your posts and always read them. Just can't always agree.

Good day.
Who really cares about our financial success without success on the field?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Being #1 in Revenue , the biggest or wealthiest is a great example of American ingenuity pimping an Iconic brand much like we’ve seen with Budweiser, McDonald’s or Walmart while not representing the best product only the biggest, most popular or wealthiest.

montgod

Reaction score
?

The guy has been brilliant.

He is not a full time GM.

The Cowbiys is just ONE of his huge portfolio of holdings.

I agree about the team is not comparable to its glory days of the 70s or 90s..

but the game has changed and Tagliabue is dead.

If the only job Jerrah did was GM of the Cowboys..

he would be better than he is.

But he does not have to be as the owner.

Big difference.

He maybe brilliant on the financial side, but has severely lacked from the NFL GM perspective. All you have to do is look at the Cowboys current offseason of integral players who are unsigned to see that fact. I don't feel they even know what they are going to do and it's resulting in them losing at least one good talented player and compromising the cap room that was just gained to overpay players that are still a question mark in their mind to obtain success. This is the reason why the Boys haven't been successful. JJ and company thought they could just duplicate past success that Jimmy implemented and it would be an easy win. However, the NFL, just like all sports, evolves and you need an NFL minded GM to be able to navigate that in order to be successful.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Hot sports opinion here: I don’t think the Cowboys need to sign Amari Cooper. Yes, I know I will take missiles for this but hear me out.

Yes, Cooper is an excellent receiver, I get that. Yes, he has played very well here and has had great chemistry with Dak most of the time. Yes, Jerry gave up a first rounder to get him. Understood. Yes, he’s a hard worker and good person off the field...I get that too. But here are my reasons why I don’t think it’s in the best interest of this team to sign Amari Cooper:
  • First of all, having a big contract WR AND big dollar RB is not usually a common formula for a championship roster. In fact, I think the Zeke contract was a mistake but that’s another argument.
  • I think saving that cap space to invest in other areas of the team would be smarter and have a bigger impact in both the short and long term. Having a deeper roster at multiple positions is how you get better! (Look at the niners last year- they were good at many positions very quickly) We need help at so many positions and we are sinking a fortune in positions that are easier to find talent (RB and WR)

• Michael Gallup will be in his third season, and I believe he’s ready to emerge even more as a go to receiver. Draft a WR in rounds 3-5, and/or sign a cheaper FA with some upside. (Side note: It’s an outdated idea to think you must always have a clear “#1 receiver”. All you need today are multiple receivers that are legit threats)
  • We might be able to afford bringing Randall Cobb back plus a good rookie receiver. (This is a deep draft for receivers) Thus giving us more options and flexibility on a roster that needs a ton of help on the other side of the ball.
Honestly, I think this ship has sailed and I will be surprised if Cooper isn’t signed to a big contract. I like Amari Cooper and I know he will continue to be a great player. And I will certainly be thrilled if keeping him proves we wrong, which could easily happen.

But....I don’t think keeping Amari Cooper is a cornerstone to a championship. Just my opinion.

Gallup is not a #1 type of receiver. Love him and he's playing well for us and glad he's on our team but he is benefiting from Amari. Take Amari away and Gallup's y/c drops significantly. His volume goes up but he won't necessarily be more productive.

Amari re-signs with us or we need to bring in another top tier WR.

Big_D

Reaction score
Read my answer to Bobhayes below.

It says it pretty well.

Again you want to make it about money. A lot of teams in every sport win AND make money. You can't admit Jerry's been a terrible GM and that's fine. Money doesn't change that, the nice stadium, the revenue, the TV contracts, the yacht etc etc. . Leading the 'world' in sports entertainment is all about finances. Bragging about how much money he makes is just sad at this point. We'll definitely have to agree to disagree.

aikemirv

Reaction score
And to add to your point, he disappears in games that aren’t at home. A WR getting that kind of money should be balling out in 80%-90% of the games. I like Cooper and welcomed his arrival but I’m not so sure it’s the best to give him the huge contract.
I really would love to see the tape of this so-called disappearing. I am not denying it happened I just want to see whether he was open and did not get thrown to or he just did not try.

This away game magic act defys logical sense.

aikemirv

Reaction score
The Cowboys spent a 1st rounder just 17 months ago to get him. They will resign him. Otherwise they will have to spend additional draft capital to get another WR to take his place.

The question is, do you compound the error?

I mean let's face it. We could draft a WR and spend the same dollars on another need FA. Would that be a better use of the money? Using a 1st round choice on a big contract is just not a wise decision in today's NFL because you are replacing a huge contract with a minimal contract. The upside is you get an established player. I think you look at the value in the draft to make the decisiion. If there is better value/depth at WR vs CB for example, I sign Byron and let Cooper walk.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The question is, do you compound the error?

I mean let's face it. We could draft a WR and spend the same dollars on another need FA. Would that be a better use of the money? Using a 1st round choice on a big contract is just not a wise decision in today's NFL because you are replacing a huge contract with a minimal contract. The upside is you get an established player. I think you look at the value in the draft to make the decisiion. If there is better value/depth at WR vs CB for example, I sign Byron and let Cooper walk.
Well said.

Only thing is we’ll need to make a decision signing Cooper and Byron before the draft.

This is a WR deep draft. Surely we can land some solid talent in 2nd or 3rd round.

If we could sign Dak I might have been for Tagging Cooper. But if we Tag our QB then I wouldn’t be for over paying Coop. At some point our top 5 paid Franchise QB must elevate those around him while we beef up the defense.

montgod

Reaction score
Well said.

Only thing is we’ll need to make a decision signing Cooper and Byron before the draft.

This is a WR deep draft. Surely we can land some solid talent in 2nd or 3rd round.

If we could sign Dak I might have been for Tagging Cooper. But if we Tag our QB then I wouldn’t be for over paying Coop. At some point our top 5 paid Franchise QB must elevate those around him while we beef up the defense.

Exactly!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Dallas builds teams based on the 90s and it’s and easy sale to the fan base.

Gotta have those triplets.
Easy to sell to the fan base? You cant be so dumb to think they need to sell anything to the fan base. The Cowboys are easily the most popular team in sports, and fans arent running away anytime soon. They do what they do... they dont do what they do hoping it keeps the fans interested.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Well said.

why not spend the 1st on a big time WR? yea, its essentially 2 1st rounders (adding in the 1st for cooper) but you arent spending anywhere close to 18 million for the position either.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Who really cares about our financial success without success on the field?
I guess that depends.

Do you live in Dallas.?

Do you physically go to Cowboy games in Dallas?

If you do not..let me say this..

I have gone with our family season tickets since 1965.

The people who can afford season tickets, the parking passes, eat and drink alcohol at the food bars and restaurants..

they are not your average football fans.

They are well off. They dress nicely and show up with attractive people on their arms.

Yes..they are there as much to be seen as much as to see the game.

This was not the case back in the Cotton Bowl days, but began with skyboxes in Texas Stadium.

It is exponentially more so in Jerry World.

So yes, the hardcore, wealthy fans expect a first class show and a first class venue.

And they pay for the privilege.

If the team is not winning titles today, the average fan just flips the channel for another game.

Which is fine. But longtime fans will support the team and pay the freight to continue to pay the tickets and the hot dogs and sushi and hats anyway.

It's their pleasure, not their right.

My nephew is a ricket broker and he sells our tickets each season and we all take turns going to games we all are in town for.

We sell the rest at a profit and it offsets our costs to go.

I doubt you do this.

But many others do. How do you think so many people from other team show up at our games?

Owners broker their tickets to out of town fans.

So...

Not everybody is worried about how things are.

Just about when can they go.

Thanx for asking those questions.

quickccc

Reaction score
Hot sports opinion here: I don’t think the Cowboys need to sign Amari Cooper. Yes, I know I will take missiles for this but hear me out.

Yes, Cooper is an excellent receiver, I get that. Yes, he has played very well here and has had great chemistry with Dak most of the time. Yes, Jerry gave up a first rounder to get him. Understood. Yes, he’s a hard worker and good person off the field...I get that too. But here are my reasons why I don’t think it’s in the best interest of this team to sign Amari Cooper:
  • First of all, having a big contract WR AND big dollar RB is not usually a common formula for a championship roster. In fact, I think the Zeke contract was a mistake but that’s another argument.
  • I think saving that cap space to invest in other areas of the team would be smarter and have a bigger impact in both the short and long term. Having a deeper roster at multiple positions is how you get better! (Look at the niners last year- they were good at many positions very quickly) We need help at so many positions and we are sinking a fortune in positions that are easier to find talent (RB and WR)

• Michael Gallup will be in his third season, and I believe he’s ready to emerge even more as a go to receiver. Draft a WR in rounds 3-5, and/or sign a cheaper FA with some upside. (Side note: It’s an outdated idea to think you must always have a clear “#1 receiver”. All you need today are multiple receivers that are legit threats)
  • We might be able to afford bringing Randall Cobb back plus a good rookie receiver. (This is a deep draft for receivers) Thus giving us more options and flexibility on a roster that needs a ton of help on the other side of the ball.
Honestly, I think this ship has sailed and I will be surprised if Cooper isn’t signed to a big contract. I like Amari Cooper and I know he will continue to be a great player. And I will certainly be thrilled if keeping him proves we wrong, which could easily happen.

But....I don’t think keeping Amari Cooper is a cornerstone to a championship. Just my opinion.

- I don’t think it’s " outdated thinking of having a clear No.1" ,.. or more an an “elite” No.1 is how I like to better put it.

Much depends upon your QB, and you can get away with lesser talented, non-elite WRs that are not lead-feature WRs. because the better, pure passing QBs tend to make some WRs better
than what they are.
As much as I like Dak, and as much as he has improved last year, he is still not in that pure passing status among the top QBs. He’s just not Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Rodgers group;

- For Dak's passing to be at it’s best, he can’t have two No.2 types going against the premium defenses and especially those possessing top coverage CB.
That’s when that talent level and ultra-competitiveness of that lead feature needs to takes over and take that next step to help Dak that much more.
Make him a better QB than what he is …vs Dak having to try to be more elite to make those WRs better than what they are JMO.

As far as " First of all, having a big contract WR AND big dollar RB is not usually a common formula for a championship roster '
People work on their own formula and ideology of how they build their championship roster. but take out the dynasty- stand out alone Pats, and you notice:
1) it’s always been the DEFENSE that leads these teams to their SB drives - and a defense playing it’s best ball when it all counts the most.
2) A Quarterback that can properly manage the game and keep it competitive, ..
-and drumroll pleeeeezz - COACHING

Those have seem to be biggest leading biggest factors on any SB team that comes to leads to be the difference, with with game managers -lighting in a bottle QBs (ala nick foles, joe flacco) ..

- Instead of blue printing and mimicking what every this and that super bowl run team does, I believe You play to your strengths,… you built to your strengths, you keep and play to your identity.

- If Marshawn Lynch- Beast mode was a huge part in your SB drive - then you play to your strengths and what threatens/damages opposing NFL teams the best.

- If zeke is giving the NFL hell as he contends to be the NFL rushing leader, TD scorer, you play to him and his strengths that in turn makes us strong.

- A huge problem that's been holding this team back has easily been the coaching,( from the HC, OC's and DC's) - and we're always seem to be trying to mimic others, success instead of knowing//finding our own blue print success and building off that. - we wanted be the Mike Martz rams, ....we want to be Pats 2 TE offense, ..we want to be Ravens style defense (rob ryan)
we want to be the Tampa 2 Defense ,.... we want to be Seattle Legion of Boom,.... We want to similate Sean McVay's Rams thru Kellen Moore, .etc , etc, etc.
and all we seem to know Is the 90's.

- Others waiting until we finally hit a reality brick wall and addressing a dire issue before it gets at it's very worst.
and yet here's another in holding on dear to declining players out of sympathy/loyalty instead of planning to move on without them.

blueblood70

Reaction score

mostly true but the real reason is AC isnt highly motivated injured or not he showed up in like 8 games..its the reason he was traded and we can see it now.. hes really good wr who can be great when he wants too but without the motivation to be the best and the foot injury being a big degenerative, I say 17-19 mil is bad investment for AC..if he just put up 1600 yards and 16 tds sure, he and dak both had it all right in front of them down the stretch and neither stepped up..if AC and Dak combo was the 2018 finish yes but not the 2019 disappearing act..

Yes deep draft and maybe Cobb or another FA can fill the voi..simply using zeke , pollard, and Jarwin/TE MORE can easily make up for coops numbers..imo Zeke and pollard were way under utilized in the pass game and both can be a huge factor there..

garyo1954

Reaction score
Houston Texans would be happy to have Amari......

"Amari Cooper (WR)
The Texans need another wide receiver to take the pressure off of DeAndre Hopkins. Will Fuller has been great when healthy, but the problem is that he’s never healthy. I believe Amari Cooper is the perfect antidote to the various ailments that Fuller suffers.

"Think about it. With Cooper and Hopkins playing on the outside, the Texans could move Fuller into the slot in the final season of his rookie contract. This could limit Fuller’s snap count, which should theoretically help him stay healthy. As an added bonus, Fuller is a mismatch on almost anyone who would line up over the top of him in the slot.

In 2019, Cooper had 79 catches for 1,189 yards and 8 TDs. His presence could free up Nuk and Fuller enough to supercharge an offense that could then compete with the Chiefs. This isn’t the highest priority signing on this list, but it is the most fun one."

quickccc

Reaction score

My problem has nuhtin to do with Cooper in terms of physical tools and skill set.
He's a marvelous smooth route runner with Beasley like footwork and change of direction stop-re-start and in-out cuts/breaks, plus he has vertical deep ability as well. as he's an outstanding runner with the ball after the catch.
but I continue to question his competitiveness. I just don't see the alpha dog in him that takes over - and plays so confident against even the very best coverage CBs he goes against.
instead of stepping up and standing out and taking over, he gets frustrated, sulks and disappears. ..and that has nuthin to do with on the road or at home.

- he can school the scrub and JAG corners but the upper echelon I need to see one of the highest paid WRs stand out - and stand often. Whatever was the knocks on him hat were there in Oakland, seems to rear it's ugly head in dallas as well for most part. his issues vs elite CBs, you have to get him involved and interested in the game very early on, .. or he sulks and fades.
the drops have appeared, but he makes a share of tough catches too.

in a big game vs a big elite CB, I don't feel that confident with Cooper - and especially to add with that upcoming new top three highest paid WR contract that's likely to come in.
I dunno how the new CBA plays into in to his new contract, but I do wonder if it could include incentatives, bonuses, because the team could worry about those disappearing acts,

quickccc

Reaction score
- Gallup shows signs of a very capable No.2 WR, but not (yet?) the signs of a lead WR ,imo.
. I’d like to see him stand out vs the better coverage CBs vs the JAGs, and I like to see him show up a bit more stronger vs the top teams and in more key games

(ala Saints, Pats, Buffalo, last philly) he’s not the smoothest looking athlete and he can be somewhat awkward in the way he receives/and runs after catch with the ball, but hes definitely not a Twill either. He’ll tough, plays hurts, compete with defenders hanging onto him,

And he has field fast sneaky quickness. There’s still some flaws in his game such as untimely drops and sloppy routes at times. But he clearly has more pluses than minuses,imo..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I guess that depends.

Do you live in Dallas.?

Do you physically go to Cowboy games in Dallas?

If you do not..let me say this..

I have gone with our family season tickets since 1965.

The people who can afford season tickets, the parking passes, eat and drink alcohol at the food bars and restaurants..

they are not your average football fans.

They are well off. They dress nicely and show up with attractive people on their arms.

Yes..they are there as much to be seen as much as to see the game.

This was not the case back in the Cotton Bowl days, but began with skyboxes in Texas Stadium.

It is exponentially more so in Jerry World.

So yes, the hardcore, wealthy fans expect a first class show and a first class venue.

And they pay for the privilege.

If the team is not winning titles today, the average fan just flips the channel for another game.

Which is fine. But longtime fans will support the team and pay the freight to continue to pay the tickets and the hot dogs and sushi and hats anyway.

It's their pleasure, not their right.

My nephew is a ricket broker and he sells our tickets each season and we all take turns going to games we all are in town for.

We sell the rest at a profit and it offsets our costs to go.

I doubt you do this.

But many others do. How do you think so many people from other team show up at our games?

Owners broker their tickets to out of town fans.

So...

Not everybody is worried about how things are.

Just about when can they go.

Thanx for asking those questions.
You obviously weren’t aware of my history or you’d of known I was a season ticket for most of 4 decades at Texas Stadium but refused to go to new stadium like most of the old Diehards.

You are right there’s a new breed of fans at new stadium. Most of which wouldn’t interest me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
why not spend the 1st on a big time WR? yea, its essentially 2 1st rounders (adding in the 1st for cooper) but you arent spending anywhere close to 18 million for the position either.
I wouldn’t be totally opposed but when you have depth in the draft at WR might be able to get close to 1st round talent in 2nd round. Then you can use 1st round pick for a DT or S.