Why I don’t think we should sign Cooper

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The problem with that is you waste a first-round pick and essentially throw away this season.

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
I'm pretty positive about Dak, but not positive enough to think that he would improve or play at a high level without an Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup. You'd have to draft a WR in the 2nd round at least which I don't think is smart given the many needs of this team.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Like I said money is his legacy. You didn't mention once his product on the field. lol That was his job first and foremost. He's in the HOF because he made the league and every team money. Revenue sharing, TV contracts etc. Funny when Cowboy fans brag about his business acumen. His job as a GM on the other hand was terrible.
?

The guy has been brilliant.

He is not a full time GM.

The Cowbiys is just ONE of his huge portfolio of holdings.

I agree about the team is not comparable to its glory days of the 70s or 90s..

but the game has changed and Tagliabue is dead.

If the only job Jerrah did was GM of the Cowboys..

he would be better than he is.

But he does not have to be as the owner.

Big difference.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know you guys have your pet agenda to grind..

But are you guys SERIOUS?

Love him or hate him, dude is in the HofF not for washing sox and jocks or being stupid.

But he taught single-handedly how to do TV contracts and better market their teams to be able to make the NFL what it is today.

You can slander him for not putting Jimster in the RofH, or dislike his wife's selection of art..

but trying to make him seem foolish only makes you look foolish.

And ATT stadium is the first and still the greatest multi-purpose sports venue that exists.

Have you even been there?

My family has 4 seats there. When I do I walk around where the player tunnel is. I go watch some of the game in the standing room only section for part of the game.

It's a huge fun place to go. And if there is any problem with the stadium, it's just got too much to offer.. big screens..dancing girls..food and beverage bars..

It may not be your style but most of us appreciate it.
None of the things you described that made Jerry a HOFer have anything to do with winning football games. He’s been great for the owners of this league as far as making loads of cash. Is the game better as a result? Are we as Cowboys fans better off? Those are certainly arguable points.

Big_D

Reaction score
?

The guy has been brilliant.

He is not a full time GM.

The Cowbiys is just ONE of his huge portfolio of holdings.

I agree about the team is not comparable to its glory days of the 70s or 90s..

but the game has changed and Tagliabue is dead.

If the only job Jerrah did was GM of the Cowboys..

he would be better than he is.

But he does not have to be as the owner.

Big difference.

That's BS!! he's the self appointed GM and sucked at it. Too stubborn to make a change year after year. Far from brilliant. Brilliant for the rest of the league maybe and lining his pockets, but winning not so much. He wears every hat and that's been THE problem. Has nothing to do with what era we're in. Even after Parcells left, that team was ready and Jerry's managerial decisions were pure crap. And here we are 13 years later talking about his amazing TV contracts. lol

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Cooper and Zeke are basically the remnants of the Jason Garrett philosophy of winning football games. It is a strategy that made plenty of sense in the pre-salary cap era. It makes 0 sense in the modern day NFL. It's good to get you some wins some years and get you into the playoffs but it isn't getting you far. Do you need WR's? Absolutely, but they should never be acquired at the cost of draft picks.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
None of the things you described that made Jerry a HOFer have anything to do with winning football games. He’s been great for the owners of this league as far as making loads of cash. Is the game better as a result? Are we as Cowboys fans better off? Those are certainly arguable points.
Oh my..

The answer to your questions is..

Yes

Yes.

I probably go back further than most fans here.

I started at age 14 in 1965. We have owned 4 season tickets since then till now.

We bought bonds when Irving Stadium was built to help build that arena to watch the team play.

Seen everybody play this team ever had over the years..every coach, every owner.

At a time when this team was being ground into obscurity, Jones bought the team and hired Johnson to coach.

3 SBs later..Jerrah is still here.

So kick around points about why or why not.

I just appreciate what has been and what will be again.

It maybe with Stephen and that's fine.

But the team and owner you want to beat on lead the entire world in sports entertainment.

The World.

Let that sink in.

I like your posts and always read them. Just can't always agree.

Good day.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
That's BS!! he's the self appointed GM and sucked at it. Too stubborn to make a change year after year. Far from brilliant. Brilliant for the rest of the league maybe and lining his pockets, but winning not so much. He wears every hat and that's been THE problem. Has nothing to do with what era we're in. Even after Parcells left, that team was ready and Jerry's managerial decisions were pure crap. And here we are 13 years later talking about his amazing TV contracts. lol
Read my answer to Bobhayes below.

It says it pretty well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Say what you want about Jerry, but his biggest failure is...as OWNER of the team, he fails to recognize that HE is not the best person to run football operations.

The results thereof are not disputable.

I'm talking after Johnson left this is. Any of you that claim Jerry was handling personnel before that point are lying to yourselves.

starfan1

Reaction score
The problem with that is you waste a first-round pick and essentially throw away this season.
well it wont be the first time these geniuses have wasted a first round pick lol. I dont necessarily think losing cooper throws away the season as long as you replace it with better quality than Allen Hurns and Cole Beasley

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh my..

The answer to your questions is..

Yes

Yes.

I probably go back further than most fans here.

I started at age 14 in 1965. We have owned 4 season tickets since then till now.

We bought bonds when Irving Stadium was built to help build that arena to watch the team play.

Seen everybody play this team ever had over the years..every coach, every owner.

At a time when this team was being ground into obscurity, Jones bought the team and hired Johnson to coach.

3 SBs later..Jerrah is still here.

So kick around points about why or why not.

I just appreciate what has been and what will be again.

It maybe with Stephen and that's fine.

But the team and owner you want to beat on lead the entire world in sports entertainment.

The World.

Let that sink in.

I like your posts and always read them. Just can't always agree.

Good day.
No problem disagreeing. Appreciate you. But I do completely disagree with you. Jerry is THE biggest problem we have. I couldn’t care any less how much money he’s made.
Btw...I started following the Cowboys in 1964 so I’m old like you! Lol!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper and Zeke are basically the remnants of the Jason Garrett philosophy of winning football games. It is a strategy that made plenty of sense in the pre-salary cap era. It makes 0 sense in the modern day NFL. It's good to get you some wins some years and get you into the playoffs but it isn't getting you far. Do you need WR's? Absolutely, but they should never be acquired at the cost of draft picks.
Wisdom here.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
well it wont be the first time these geniuses have wasted a first round pick lol. I dont necessarily think losing cooper throws away the season as long as you replace it with better quality than Allen Hurns and Cole Beasley

Look at the FA market, there isn't much out there. They could be staring at losing Amari and Cobb.

Plus Cooper is only 25, losing him seems silly at this point.

fivetwos

Reaction score
No problem disagreeing. Appreciate you. But I do completely disagree with you. Jerry is THE biggest problem we have. I couldn’t care any less how much money he’s made.
There isnt much more frustrating than within the debate of Jerry the GM, you get hit with how much MONEY the guy has made in his defense.

That always makes me want to reply with....yes you're right. I dont care if my football team is run correctly, or by the most qualified person. I'm just happy that he makes plenty of money.

That's exactly his problem. He makes money as the owner of the team so he thinks that entitles him to be the one pulling all the strings.

If he was judged solely on that, it's pure failure.

Not sure at ALL how I'm supposed to be pacified by Jerry's money making ability. He is simply lucky there were plenty of people like us around long before HE showed up.

And championship contention wise, they would be WAY better off if he wasnt around. Or at least just as futile, and there is NO way to dispute that with results.

starfan1

Reaction score
Look at the FA market, there isn't much out there. They could be staring at losing Amari and Cobb.

Plus Cooper is only 25, losing him seems silly at this point.
I wont argue that but replacing Cooper I wasn't thinking in FA I was thinking in draft but alas we have defensive woes that are pretty urgent. If I knew we could address the issue on defense in round 2 or later and I knew we could get one of those game breaking WR in round 1 Id consider it. Cooper dissapears a bit much for me. When hes on hes dynamite but when he isn't hes useless. at times

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Haha..

Old like me..whippersnapper!

We always good.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I wont argue that but replacing Cooper I wasn't thinking in FA I was thinking in draft but alas we have defensive woes that are pretty urgent. If I knew we could address the issue on defense in round 2 or later and I knew we could get one of those game breaking WR in round 1 Id consider it. Cooper dissapears a bit much for me. When hes on hes dynamite but when he isn't hes useless. at times
Yeah about Cooper.

He fades at times. Plays better against bad teams.

Against good teams or top flight CB..

he disappears.

Dez has similar issues later in his career. Dropped balls, alligator arms.

So we all see things.

Coopers value is not always catching passes.

It's also as a valuable decoy clearing out coverages for others to get open, etc.

So when I see Amari's value, I am reminded about that game where both he and Dak agreed to change the play at the line of scrimmage using just eye contact.

Resulted in a big TD. That is stuff that means alot but does not get mentioned much.

That is chemistry. Amari has it.

One of the reasons you probably pay him.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There isnt much more frustrating than within the debate of Jerry the GM, you get hit with how much MONEY the guy has made in his defense.

That always makes me want to reply with....yes you're right. I dont care if my football team is run correctly, or by the most qualified person. I'm just happy that he makes plenty of money.

That's exactly his problem. He makes money as the owner of the team so he thinks that entitles him to be the one pulling all the strings.

If he was judged solely on that, it's pure failure.

Not sure at ALL how I'm supposed to be pacified by Jerry's money making ability. He is simply lucky there were plenty of people like us around long before HE showed up.

And championship contention wise, they would be WAY better off if he wasnt around. Or at least just as futile, and there is NO way to dispute that with results.
Unlike 30 other GMs in this league, Jerry Jones qualified for the job of GM the night his check cleared to buy the team. (The bungles Mike Brown is the only other GM/owner and we see how that has gone) Then he hires his kids with lifetime unaccountable contracts, regardless of results. It’s a formula for 25 straight years of playoff irrelevance. But I guess we're supposed to be excited that the Cowboys are “the most financially valuable franchise in sports.”....Whoppeee!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The overwhelming answer is despite the Cowboys financial success this era , football operations have declined significantly.

And Jerry’s contributions have largely been a method to secure him continuing his selfish dysfunctional football ways without revenue being affected.