Why I love Randy "Manster" White

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
I have always been a huge fan of the Manster, for one he went from being a linebacker to an Hall of Fame DT, he won a Super Bowl MVP with the Beautiful Harvey Martin and is an all around nice guy to fans, as I have met him in person in the past.

I was in Barnes and Noble last night killing some time and started flipping through the new Jeff Pearlman book Boys will be Boys when I came across the chapter about Charles Haley driving his drunk rearend through the front of Randy's restaurant. And how Jerry asked Randy to make sure that Charles didn't try and drive his bike home. Randy apparently bear hugged Haley to restrain him. Haley must have broken free and raised his hand to Randy. The line in the book said something like the only person in the world crazier than Charles Haley is Randy White. White proceed to drop Haley like a bag of potatoes. If this defense just had 1 Randy White to show people what it means to be tough, we would be an all world defense.

Randy White....LEGEND!!!!:bow:

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
While I love Randy(as a player) I think we need more of a Lee Roy Jordan type that can play and think for the defense. While Randy was great at his position Jordan made the calls at the line in the complicated flex defense. Of course Jordan also had the luxury of having Waters in the defensive backfield ensuring the guys knew where to be and when to be there.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Don't forget, he stuffed Hollywood Henderson into a locker too.

nobody wanted a piece of the Manster.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
JakeCamp12;2419301 said:
I have always been a huge fan of the Manster, for one he went from being a linebacker to an Hall of Fame DT, he won a Super Bowl MVP with the Beautiful Harvey Martin and is an all around nice guy to fans, as I have met him in person in the past.

I was in Barnes and Noble last night killing some time and started flipping through the new Jeff Pearlman book Boys will be Boys when I came across the chapter about Charles Haley driving his drunk rearend through the front of Randy's restaurant. And how Jerry asked Randy to make sure that Charles didn't try and drive his bike home. Randy apparently bear hugged Haley to restrain him. Haley must have broken free and raised his hand to Randy. The line in the book said something like the only person in the world crazier than Charles Haley is Randy White. White proceed to drop Haley like a bag of potatoes. If this defense just had 1 Randy White to show people what it means to be tough, we would be an all world defense.

I agree 100 percent.....my FAVORITE Cowboy of all-time!

JethroPugh

Reaction score
That's funny -- I just read that passage this afternoon! Awesome story. I loved it as well. The bar-owning old vet droppin' the big mean stud.

The whole book is an eye-opener. I knew it was wild in those days, but geez!

Was wondering why I hadn't seen more about the book here.... so many interesting things in there! Am in the middle of the Switzer stuff now... just his whole story, and long history with both Jerry and Jimmy, make the book worthwhile... and that's really just a small piece...

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
JethroPugh;2419446 said:
That's funny -- I just read that passage this afternoon! Awesome story. I loved it as well. The bar-owning old vet droppin' the big mean stud.

The whole book is an eye-opener. I knew it was wild in those days, but geez!

Was wondering why I hadn't seen more about the book here.... so many interesting things in there! Am in the middle of the Switzer stuff now... just his whole story, and long history with both Jerry and Jimmy, make the book worthwhile... and that's really just a small piece...

I haven't read it, but Irvin commented on the book, said, from what he heard about the book, most of it is not true or exagerrated. I am sure that is true.

There must be plenty of true stories, but I am sure, there are plenty untrue and overexaggarations as well.

jem88

Reaction score
xWraithx;2419327 said:
so you love Randy White because he dropped a drunk Charles Haley?
Probably has more to do with White being the one of the greatest DTs of all time (best I've ever seen, that's for sure.) The Haley incident is just more proof of how tough White is.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
All anyone has to do if they have questions about the legend that is Randy White is watch Super Bowl 12.

JPostSam

Reaction score
JakeCamp12;2419301 said:

yeah, and if all the players we faced were drunk, we'd be AWESOME!!

:laugh2:

brickman

Reaction score
I'm layed up from ankle surgery and just finished the book yesterday. My god, it was freakin' unbelievable back then. These guys did everything under the sun (and the moon too!). The book is great ... I highly recommend it.

:star:

StoneyBurk

Reaction score
Randy also beat up TWO Chicago Bears offensive linemen at the same time at the 84 or 85 pro bowl. He could kick Charles Haleys butt drunk or sober. Chad Hennings choked the bully also!

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yeah, you didnt mess with randy white, remember he could bench 500 pounds coming out of college

i loved it when i read where he stuffed thomas hollywood henderson, and henderson didnt bother randy white after that either;

randy white also studied the marital arts,

so randy was one guy you didnt want to mess with,

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2420696 said:
yeah, you didnt mess with randy white, remember he could bench 500 pounds coming out of college

i loved it when i read where he stuffed thomas hollywood henderson, and henderson didnt bother randy white after that either;

randy white also studied the marital arts,

so randy was one guy you didnt want to mess with,

Nate Newton always says Mr. White, when talking about Randy. He has mucho respect for him. He said, when he was trying to make the team, he went against him in practice.

Chrissyboy

Reaction score
Bought the book on hols in Vegas last month. Have read and re-read most of it again and again.

In those days, we in the UK, were completely starved of all information from the NFL. I would get rare snips. Would be able to get odd stories from UK magazines from Howard baltzer etc. but all trivial stuff.

Not sure how true all the stories are, but been great to read about the truth behind a number of characters - the Switzer, Lacewell, Jerry and Jimmy background.... some of the Troy v Walsh v Beuerline info.

Loved the story about Chad henniings and old #94 too. Got to say the story about Switzer's mother's death was a bit jaw dropping too! Having to live with that all his life!

Great read. Would recommend it to anyone. As I already stated, interesting read whether all true or not.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Randy was one of those rare players that could literally take over a game and just dominate.....play after play after play.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Here is the story from the horses mouth (Hollywood Henderson) about Randy and the locker.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2rG6CQg2o1E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2rG6CQg2o1E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
JakeCamp12;2419301 said:

If you're his biggest fan, you might wanna stop calling him MANSTER since he HATES that name.

I was hangin out with him couple years ago at a bar in Jersey, a guy comes up and goes how you doing MANSTER, Randy looks at him and goes why do you call me Manster( he knewwhy) and the guy said you know, half man half monster, Randy throws him a look like he wants to kill him cause he always hated the nickname implying he's a half monster and said to the guy, well you klnow what, you're now MANHOLE, the guy looked at him funny and said why manhole? Funniest thing I ever heard, Randy goes half man Half ******.

So if you ever see him in public and want to approach him, I suggest you don't call him Manster!