CFZ Why I'm excited for this year

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So, you may be asking why I'm excited for this year. The reason is because I think we have a bright season ahead of us. Don't believe me? Alright, I'll give you a few reasons.

• I think we have the best set of WRs we've had in a while. Consider that last year, we had Lamb as the main starter with Gallup injured. Meanwhile, Dennis Houston, Simi Fehoko, and Noah Brown were considered to be legitimate starters. Yes, I know. They were considered by the FO to be legitimate NFL starters that could compete with the likes of AJ Brown, Hopkins, etc. Now, the FO will have a difficult decision when it comes to keeping 6 WRs. Obviously, Lamb will take the 1 WR. However, then tor WR 2 and 3, we can rotate in Cooks and a healthy Gallup. Behind that, our KR will be Turpin likely. But then things get interesting for the last few spots. Tolbert will probably make the team, but what to do for that last spot? Do they keep Fehoko who's had a rough TC? Do they keep Brooks, who's been fabulous in TC? Do they keep Cropper? If they let go of Cropper, what's the likelihood that he gets poached instead of going on the PS? Is Dennis Houston going to go from starter to the USFL? What a good problem to have! Our WR looks much stronger.
  • The improvements at WR should only help Dak. Most contenders have at least 2 excellent WRs in today's NFL. All of a sudden, we seem to have 3-4 fantastic looking WRs. Oh, and our TE unit looks good to me (even without Schoonmacher). Better quality WRs means that the QB's job becomes much easier.
  • Do I need to gush about our defence? Oh, bother it, I will. Our D is fantastic already, but I'm excited especially because we finally got a NT! So, we should have better luck stopping the run. Oh, and Gilmore opposite Diggs should be wonderful! I think we will have a top 2-3 defence.
  • Our special teams should be interesting. I think Aubrey will put it together. Sounds like he's had a better camp the last few days, and he was excellent in the USFL. Our punting unit should be good as Anger is still there. Turpin (as long as he holds onto the ball) should be even better now.
The only real area I have any concern is probably the oline and running game. Then again, the quicker passing scheme (which I love) should help protect the oline. How many times did we see plays under Garrett/Linehan/Moore where the play took forever to develop? This quicker attack should help Dak and the oline. As for the running game, I am excited to see Vaughn play and Pollard. All in all, I'm excited for this season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The one thing to get excited about entering this season is the Cowboys are coming off back-to-back playoff seasons for the first time since 06 and 07 and they’re coming off a playoff win. It’s exciting entering a season with the Cowboys appearing to be building on something. The Cowboys are coming off a season where they won four games with a backup QB. They haven’t done that since the 91 season when Steve Beuerlein replaced an injured Troy Aikman. There are concerns entering this season, but there are things to be excited about.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
So, you may be asking why I'm excited for this year. The reason is because I think we have a bright season ahead of us. Don't believe me? Alright, I'll give you a few reasons.

• I think we have the best set of WRs we've had in a while. Consider that last year, we had Lamb as the main starter with Gallup injured. Meanwhile, Dennis Houston, Simi Fehoko, and Noah Brown were considered to be legitimate starters. Yes, I know. They were considered by the FO to be legitimate NFL starters that could compete with the likes of AJ Brown, Hopkins, etc. Now, the FO will have a difficult decision when it comes to keeping 6 WRs. Obviously, Lamb will take the 1 WR. However, then tor WR 2 and 3, we can rotate in Cooks and a healthy Gallup. Behind that, our KR will be Turpin likely. But then things get interesting for the last few spots. Tolbert will probably make the team, but what to do for that last spot? Do they keep Fehoko who's had a rough TC? Do they keep Brooks, who's been fabulous in TC? Do they keep Cropper? If they let go of Cropper, what's the likelihood that he gets poached instead of going on the PS? Is Dennis Houston going to go from starter to the USFL? What a good problem to have! Our WR looks much stronger.
  • The improvements at WR should only help Dak. Most contenders have at least 2 excellent WRs in today's NFL. All of a sudden, we seem to have 3-4 fantastic looking WRs. Oh, and our TE unit looks good to me (even without Schoonmacher). Better quality WRs means that the QB's job becomes much easier.
  • Do I need to gush about our defence? Oh, bother it, I will. Our D is fantastic already, but I'm excited especially because we finally got a NT! So, we should have better luck stopping the run. Oh, and Gilmore opposite Diggs should be wonderful! I think we will have a top 2-3 defence.
  • Our special teams should be interesting. I think Aubrey will put it together. Sounds like he's had a better camp the last few days, and he was excellent in the USFL. Our punting unit should be good as Anger is still there. Turpin (as long as he holds onto the ball) should be even better now.
The only real area I have any concern is probably the oline and running game. Then again, the quicker passing scheme (which I love) should help protect the oline. How many times did we see plays under Garrett/Linehan/Moore where the play took forever to develop? This quicker attack should help Dak and the oline. As for the running game, I am excited to see Vaughn play and Pollard. All in all, I'm excited for this season.
I really wasn't thinking to ask why you were so excited for this season to be honest.......

;) only playing Rusty - good stuff.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The one thing to get excited about entering this season is the Cowboys are coming off back-to-back playoff seasons for the first time since 06 and 07 and they’re coming off a playoff win. It’s exciting entering a season with the Cowboys appearing to be building on something. The Cowboys are coming off a season where they won four games with a backup QB. They haven’t done that since the 91 season when Steve Beuerlein replaced an injured Troy Aikman. There are concerns entering this season, but there are things to be excited about.
Let me ask you this, as I wasn't born yet. What were some of the concerns entering the 1992 season? I was born late that year.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I'm excited too, I got myself a new possum costume for my birthday.

71LHabYJSIL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Let me ask you this, as I wasn't born yet. What were some of the concerns entering the 1992 season? I was born late that year.
The only real concern heading into the 92 season was keeping Troy Aikman healthy. He had missed games his first three seasons, including four games in 91. Other than that the team was solid from top to bottom.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's hit the breaks on wide receiver. We heard the same thing last preseason and look how that turned out.
Only difference being there is ZERO comparison between the WR corp last year and this year.

Not to mention, partial new offence and new play caller.

So forget hitting the brakes and slam that gas pedal down because they are ready to roll!

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Im' excited about the preseason. There is so much to watch. A RB competition with Dowdle, Davis, Vaughn and Luepke. The fight for WR 5 and 6. I mean you have Turpin, Fehoko, Brooks, and two or three others in the hunt. THe battle at TE....will Schoonmaker come on now that he is practicing? Ferguson has looked really good blocking and catching, Hendershot has flashed, and there is McKeon and Stephens, Jr. The OL battles...some of these guys have to start stepping up. That right there is enough to keep us interested in preseason, but we haven't even discussed the defense. The improvement of Sam Williams. New big body Mazi Smith. Developing some LBs in Cox, Clark, Overshown, and Jefferson. THe logjam at Safety, and the competition at CB. This team has a ton of talent, so guys are going to have to step up. Im looking forward to seeing the backups fighting for their NFL lives.