CFZ Why I think Sunday’s game will be a shootout

JustChip

Reaction score
If that's the case we need good Prescott to show up.

None of these slow starts, please.
The first 7-8 minutes of the game will probably be similar to the Bucs game. Emotion is going to be high, especially on the SF side because if the home crowd. Dallas will have to weather that early until the game settles down to just football. The key to that is not letting SF get out to a 2 score lead early, which means Dallas can’t turn the ball over early (or at all, really).

IceBowler

Reaction score
All comes down to the OL for both teams and is the Cowboys DL back to being the best pressure one in the league?

They looked back to it in TB and Purdy really hasn’t faced a strong pressure D yet but when he was at Iowa State, he did not handle that well.

Can the Cowboys get there with 4 and if they need to bring a 5th or 6th, can the secondary hold up?
It ALWAYS comes down to the OL.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If you look at SF's division and their entire schedule, you will see two things.

Often, vs. good defenses, they have scored 20 points or fewer, saving their big scores against weak defenses or better defenses undone by offensive turnovers and desperation.

Second, I don't see that they have faced a defense with anywhere near the speed the Cowboys play with.

With Dallas team speed and aggression on defense, I really think this game and SF's point total comes down to Quinn putting our players in position to succeed with sound alignments and calls and excellent tackling.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree with Bullet that this game will not be a defensive one. I also think the Cowboys will break 30 but doubt the 49ers do.

And you know that “ who have they beaten” card that’s always been played against DAL? Try playing that against SF.

The Cowboys are winning this game and I will not be surprised if the score is really close to the 93 game, 38-21.
Wow. Bold prediction I’d expect more from a Homer.

I hope you’re right and we finally knock the door down . Wish I felt it as well.

I’m still a little concerned about our kicking game costing us. I’m thinking we gain a new kind of heartbreak Sunday.

But it’s been a good season. I’ll take last 4 in NFC with this dysfunctional organization anytime.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
The more I study the matchup against the niners, the more I think this game is going to be a shootout. Both teams have good offenses. Both teams also have big play-making talents on defense. I‘m expecting the point total to be in the 50s. It will likely take at least 30 to win this game.

Here why I believe this game will be high scoring:
  • In the last 4 games the 49ers have played, they average giving up 22.5 points. IMO, Dallas can generate more than 22 points.
  • And despite their defensive talent, the niners have given up 34 to a raiders team playing a backup QB, 20 to an 8-8-1 Wash team and 23 to a 9-8 Seattle team in their last 3.
  • The niners offense has averaged nearly 400 yards per game last 4 games.
  • In their last 4 games they are averaging 38 points per game.
Unless the niners have multiple turnovers, it’s going to be hard to hold them under 28 points. We can but the defense is going to have to play lights out and force the rookie QB to make plays. IMO, Brock Purdy has been playing better than he really is. Saw him play 5-6 games in college and he was definitely hot/cold. He’s due for a bad game IMO.

I believe if we can score 30+ we will win this game. But I expect it to be close.
Romo Jr. will lose the game. It comes down to Dak playing better than Purdy and Cowboys secondary playing better than expected. Cowboys win the turnover margin, they win the game.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I agree, it is hard to believe that the Cowboys D will be able to shut down the 9ers... just control them would be best thing they can do. If they can hold them to under 24 points, Dallas has a chance. But i really hope it doesn't come down to a Maher kick.

Xeven

Reaction score
The more I study the matchup against the niners, the more I think this game is going to be a shootout. Both teams have good offenses. Both teams also have big play-making talents on defense. I‘m expecting the point total to be in the 50s. It will likely take at least 30 to win this game.

• In the last 4 games the 49ers have played, they average giving up 22.5 points. IMO, Dallas can generate more than 22 points.
  • And despite their defensive talent, the niners have given up 34 to a raiders team playing a backup QB, 20 to an 8-8-1 Wash team and 23 to a 9-8 Seattle team in their last 3.
Unless the niners have multiple turnovers, it’s going to be hard to hold them under 28 points. We can but the defense is going to have to play lights out and force the rookie QB to make plays. IMO, Brock Purdy has been playing better than he really is. Saw him play 5-6 games in college and he was definitely hot/cold. He’s due for a bad game IMO.

I believe if we can score 30+ we will win this game. But I expect it to be close.
Purdy seems to have booster their PPG.

cnuball21

Reaction score
If SF has the game plan of coming out and trying to win through the air they are dumber then dirt.

They should point the rock and throw quick hitters to their play makers to prove we can be physical and tackle.

I don’t expect either team to score in the 30s.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Fmyq4cBWIAAa93r

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
If it's a shootout i think we lose on the road. I think the Cowboy's defense will need to keep playing to their ability for the Cowboy's to keep advancing. I don't care who the opponent is, and that might be naive, but i think the Cowboy's defense will need to keep all of it's opponents in the next 3 games to 20 or less points.

Mankster

Reaction score
WTH? I thought he was "100%" going to play! Now I see this...

29:40 mark!!! This better not be right!

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
I would not be shocked at all if you are correct. The other reason is that there simply aren't great defenses in the NFL any more. Good and very good - yes. Capable of shutdown performances - yes. But not great. Last one I saw was the Ray Lewis Ravens.