CFZ Why I think Sunday’s game will be a shootout

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The more I study the matchup against the niners, the more I think this game is going to be a shootout. Both teams have good offenses. Both teams also have big play-making talents on defense. I‘m expecting the point total to be in the 50s. It will likely take at least 30 to win this game.

Here why I believe this game will be high scoring:
  • In the last 4 games the 49ers have played, they average giving up 22.5 points. IMO, Dallas can generate more than 22 points.
  • And despite their defensive talent, the niners have given up 34 to a raiders team playing a backup QB, 20 to an 8-8-1 Wash team and 23 to a 9-8 Seattle team in their last 3.
  • The niners offense has averaged nearly 400 yards per game last 4 games.
  • In their last 4 games they are averaging 38 points per game.
Unless the niners have multiple turnovers, it’s going to be hard to hold them under 28 points. We can but the defense is going to have to play lights out and force the rookie QB to make plays. IMO, Brock Purdy has been playing better than he really is. Saw him play 5-6 games in college and he was definitely hot/cold. He’s due for a bad game IMO.

I believe if we can score 30+ we will win this game. But I expect it to be close.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The more I study the matchup against the niners, the more I think this game is going to be a shootout. Both teams have good offenses. Both teams also have big play-making talents on defense. I‘m expecting the point total to be in the 50s. It will likely take at least 30 to win this game.

• In the last 4 games the 49ers have played, they average giving up 22.5 points. IMO, Dallas can generate more than 22 points.
  • And despite their defensive talent, the niners have given up 34 to a raiders team playing a backup QB, 20 to an 8-8-1 Wash team and 23 to a 9-8 Seattle team in their last 3.
Unless the niners have multiple turnovers, it’s going to be hard to hold them under 28 points. We can but the defense is going to have to play lights out and force the rookie QB to make plays. IMO, Brock Purdy has been playing better than he really is. Saw him play 5-6 games in college and he was definitely hot/cold. He’s due for a bad game IMO.

I believe if we can score 30+ we will win this game. But I expect it to be close.
I think it's a 30-28 type game with a FG from either team winning it at the end.

blueblood70

Reaction score

however, they haven't faced a top 10 defense. not saying our D is playing elite lie early in the season but i am giving them more credit and hope they keep them under 27.. I saw that schedule purdys seen since hes come and those were cupcake type ds. really their schedule was weaker than ours and our division much tougher, id say we are being underrated while they are overrated, so might be pretty evenly matched contest.

so the team, as usual, that makes the least amount of mistakes, wins.

a Big TO from either side could be the difference.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If that's the case we need good Prescott to show up.

None of these slow starts, please.
we need THE good Cowboys to show ie OL, run game, defense, and ST to not miss kicks.. stop with Dak already

he goes as far as that OL goes. like last year's 9er game that was all on the OL bud..no run game and 11 penalties on the OL..cant do much on offense against tea like the 9ers if you cant block mor open holes and constantly out us behind the chains. Wake up , TEAM game, call out the team.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I think a shoot out really plays into the Cowboys hands. Have the 49ers beaten a team as complete as the Cowboys? I don't see a rookie QB holding up against a really good team in a high stakes game. Purdy will be good for at least 2 turnovers. We know about good Dak/bad Dak. If Dak can play within himself, he will be OK.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It just depend if we show up and limit the mistakes. We can’t afford TO’s and the offense to go stagnant.
OK alternate view,

we cant afford for our defense to get ran over for chunk runs given up, catches with Yak, and have high scores to overcome or play from behind early.. that 9er game last year 4 straight scores given up to start the game and like 9 YPC firsts half given up.. they may have held the score down but lets not be blind that TOP was more lopsided because of the defense and that less possessions for the offense..

we need the team to show up as whole, period.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think a shoot out really plays into the Cowboys hands. Have the 49ers beaten a team as complete as the Cowboys? I don't see a rookie QB holding up against a really good team in a high stakes game. Purdy will be good for at least 2 turnovers. We know about good Dak/bad Dak. If Dak can play within himself, he will be OK.
I know we aren't KC but we are as close to a team like KC as the 9ers will face. they got throttled by KC and haven't seen top 10 D is quite a while.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Pardon me if I question this offense's ability to put up 30 plus points against their defense in a playoff setting without significant help from the defense getting turnovers and field position.
this

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All comes down to the OL for both teams and is the Cowboys DL back to being the best pressure one in the league?

They looked back to it in TB and Purdy really hasn’t faced a strong pressure D yet but when he was at Iowa State, he did not handle that well.

Can the Cowboys get there with 4 and if they need to bring a 5th or 6th, can the secondary hold up?

Rayman70

Reaction score
its always about the hogs guys. They will determine field position...along with the kickers. Lets not forget Mike McCarthy has something to prove as well. He came from this west coast system and helped the likes of Steve Young , Montana etc. He knows a few things and has PLENTY of tricks up his sleeve. If ANYONE understands how to beat San Fran its him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with Bullet that this game will not be a defensive one. I also think the Cowboys will break 30 but doubt the 49ers do.

And you know that “ who have they beaten” card that’s always been played against DAL? Try playing that against SF.

The Cowboys are winning this game and I will not be surprised if the score is really close to the 93 game, 38-21.

Praxit

Reaction score

...Bullet, it might come down to tip ball, fumble, penalty and FG. My gut tells me, SF is going to be in for surprise, how good Dallas is.