"Why I'm neither high nor low on Switzer", otherwise titled "A History of Cowboys 4th Rounders"

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always liked Hitchens...decent player. What positions concern you the most?
DB: Unknown. I love the possibilities, but it's a lot of change in one season.
DL: It was a problem last season. They have a lot of options, but they've been trying to improve this area for a long time.
WR: If Dez flakes out, gets injured or just can produce anymore, then the options at outside WR are limited. Butler is inconsistent. Beasley is slot only. Switzer is a rookie and might be slot only.
RB: Having injury prone McFadden as the top backup is a concern. Keeping Morris would minimize the concern but he is so limited in terms of blocking/receiving that's it difficult to keep him if anybody shows up as the 3rd option.
QB: I think Moore is the best option this season, all things considered, but he is limited.
OL: They are changing out 2/5ths of the unit. I feel good about the options but there are question marks.
TE: Witten seems to slow noticeably from 2015 to 2016. All of the other other options are unproven.
LB: It's basically 2 positions and they've only lost Durant from last season. Upgrading the athleticism around the LBs (Carr and Church out) should help the LBs in coverage. Last season if you had Carr, Church and Hitchens all together, then their limited range combined to be a problem. If the athleticism of Carr/Church is upgraded, then Hitchens limited range in coverage should be OK. Hopefully Jaylon plays and that's not even an issue.

haleyrules

Reaction score
DL: It was a problem last season. They have a lot of options, but they've been trying to improve this area for a long time.
WR: If Dez flakes out, gets injured or just can produce anymore, then the options at outside WR are limited. Butler is inconsistent. Beasley is slot only. Switzer is a rookie and might be slot only.
RB: Having injury prone McFadden as the top backup is a concern. Keeping Morris would minimize the concern but he is so limited in terms of blocking/receiving that's it difficult to keep him if anybody shows up as the 3rd option.
QB: I think Moore is the best option this season, all things considered, but he is limited.
OL: They are changing out 2/5ths of the unit. I feel good about the options but there are question marks.
TE: Witten seems to slow noticeably from 2015 to 2016. All of the other other options are unproven.
LB: It's basically 2 positions and they've only lost Durant from last season. Upgrading the athleticism around the LBs (Carr and Church out) should help the LBs in coverage. Last season if you had Carr, Church and Hitchens all together, then their limited range combined to be a problem. If the athleticism of Carr/Church is upgraded, then Hitchens limited range in coverage should be OK. Hopefully Jaylon plays and that's not even an issue.
Good post. Iam very depressed now!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Risen Star said:
It's not true that people were talking about him pre-draft. Minus that one thread started by a UNC fan that pimped every Tar Heels prospect.

You're pretending you did. This happens every year.

It's a silly argument by RS that people were not talking about a player before the draft. There are over 500 players eligible for the draft. Most people here were focused on defense so most of the "talking" was about defensive players. Discussions of WRs were most often about the early round guys.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Yes. There are many questions on the Defensive side and l agree regarding the loss of Leary and Free...more damaging than many people realise.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good post. Iam very depressed now!
Don't be. I struggled to find the concerns. It's a very solid roster top to bottom, IMO. They could use a couple more elite players but the overall depth seems really good. There are many with the physical ability to become elite so the probably is that a couple of elite players will develop this season.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
I don't like to get into the "who can be more condescending" contest stuff. I really don't.

But you're really embarrassing yourself, stash, in my maybe-not-so-humble opinion to be so brazen as to pretend you can't get the analogy, ie, illustrating that history provides context of what expectations should probably be, but that it does not hold any power over what will or won't happen with the current situation.

That's all.

I'll try one more time.

No one expected Dak to be the player he was.

Why?

Because of the context. He was drafted where he was drafted.

It had no bearing on what he would actually do.

But it did have bearing on what appropriate expectations were.

No. Just no.