Why is Aikman a Cowboy hater?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
superpunk said:
I mentioned it already. Troy is OUR Boy. All the way. That's why ANYTHING he says negative about the Cowboys seems magnified. But it's just his job.

100% correct in my book. Some times its hard to hear the truth from a former player of our favorite team. But thats just what hes doing.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
I have hardly heard anything good from him about the Cowboys for several years now.

This is where neutrality (if that's a word) comes into play. If he had something good to say every now and again, when warranted, then I could say, yeah he's just trying to be professional and doing his job. But sometimes he sounds like it hurts him to say "nice run by Julius Jones". Very strange. I have my suspicions that he is still bitter that he was let go by the organization.

ravidubey

Reaction score
jem88 said:
These threads are pathetic. Aikman's has never struck as being anything but objective. If he has criticized us, it's probably because we've sucked for the last several years.

Then why say Jerry doesn't care about team chemistry?

That's an idiotic and biased opinion any way you slice it. No Cowboys have spoken out against TO except ex-Cowboy George Teague.

When it comes to Jerry speculation from Aikman carries credence because he was a Cowboy for so long. To have him reportedly say this strikes of an agenda.

You can not gloss over his saying that publicly without interviewing Jones or any current Cowboys first. He has access to interview anyone one hte team he wants-- he's Troy Aikman for Pete's sakes.

I loved Troy Aikman as a Cowboy, but he needs to take a step back and do his homework as a Cowboy analyst or else I have to put him in with the Baylesses and Hidges of the world.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
He doesn't come across as objective. He comes across as vindictive (for whatever reason.

My take exactly, SB. I actually have gotten to the point that I can't stand Aikman as an announcer. I absolutely sense, for whatever reason, vindictiveness when he announces Cowboy games.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
LandryFan said:
He doesn't come across as objective. He comes across as vindictive (for whatever reason.

My take exactly, SB. I actually have gotten to the point that I can't stand Aikman as an announcer. I absolutely sense, for whatever reason, vindictiveness when he announces Cowboy games.

Ill take Johnston anyday over Aikman. At least you have a remote sense he still loves the Cowboys (and fullbacks). Aikman seems to hide his Cowboy love so well you have to question it. He should go into acting next.

DipChit

Reaction score
I dont think he's a hater at all. Honestly I do think he's pretty neutral as he should be.

When I think about it if I have any beef with him as he calls a game it's probably just something thats rubbing off from Buck because I cant stand that guy for whatever reason. I mean it's to the point where more often than not I'll turn the sound off because of it.

I rather Troy was just paired with someone else then maybe *I* could be unbiased about what I think of the broadcast.

DMX690

Reaction score
So, because Troy doesn't kiss *** and doesn't have rose color glasses, means his a Cowboys hater? We all know the Cowboys haven't won a playoff game in almost 10 years. That's pathetic. Sometimes, it hurts to hear the truth.

LandryFan

Reaction score
I rather Troy was just paired with someone else then maybe *I* could be unbiased about what I think of the broadcast.

You may be on to something there, DC. Maybe it's the chemistry in the booth that seems to sour Troy.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx said:
Ill take Johnston anyday over Aikman. At least you have a remote sense he still loves the Cowboys (and fullbacks). Aikman seems to hide his Cowboy love so well you have to question it. He should go into acting next.

Well if he doesn't like Cowboys then he must have done a good acting job when he campaigned with Roger/Emmit etc for new Cowboys stadium. From what I remember, Jerry wasn't even asking them to do so either.

Second, Aikman on occasion has said so, that he doesn't follow Cowboys as closely anymore nor that he really attaches emotionality to it, since he has to cover lot of other teams, being the No. 1 man for FOX. I am thinking probably because he rarely has a chance to sit and watch Cowboys game as a Fan.

But he also number of times during his radio interviews on The Ticket, has repeatedly pointed on how much he liked the 2005 draft class and till the late season meltdown, constantly thought Dallas was a team in contention.

Well, but I guess you have to be a homer about Dallas to be fan of Cowboys according to this thread seems like. Heck I see lot of more negative on this board, my some seemingly hardcore Cowboys than I saw from Aikman. But then I guess thats just me.

LandryFan

Reaction score
So, because Troy doesn't kiss *** and doesn't have rose color glasses, means his a Cowboys hater? We all know the Cowboys haven't won a playoff game in almost 10 years. That's pathetic. Sometimes, it hurts to hear the truth.

DMX, I think you're missing the point some of us are trying to make. I don't want Troy to be a Cowboys "homer", I just don't like listening to what seems like unbalanced announcing. Apparently a number of fans sense the same "bias" against the Cowboys when he announces. I don't know that he's a "hater" or not. It just seems that he's anti Cowboy when he calls a Dallas game.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Well if he doesn't like Cowboys then he must have done a good acting job when he campaigned with Roger/Emmit etc for new Cowboys stadium. From what I remember, Jerry wasn't even asking them to do so either.

Second, Aikman on occasion has said so, that he doesn't follow Cowboys as closely anymore nor that he really attaches emotionality to it, since he has to cover lot of other teams, being the No. 1 man for FOX. I am thinking probably because he rarely has a chance to sit and watch Cowboys game as a Fan.

But he also number of times during his radio interviews on The Ticket, has repeatedly pointed on how much he liked the 2005 draft class and till the late season meltdown, constantly thought Dallas was a team in contention.

Well, but I guess you have to be a homer about Dallas to be fan of Cowboys according to this thread seems like. Heck I see lot of more negative on this board, my some seemingly hardcore Cowboys than I saw from Aikman. But then I guess thats just me.

Good points, i didnt know he had done some of those things. And without a doubt he is very well respected by fans of all teams. Being a Cowboy homer that i am, i just get offended quicker with a former Cowboy announcer.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I actually think Troy tends to go out of his way to criticize Dallas, just a tad bit. I wouldn't say he hates Dallas, but I wouldn't say he's being completely objective either. I think he does that in fear of getting crap from critics that will say he's a Cowboys homer.

If you listen to Troy announce, he's usually harsher on Cowboys players and the organization in general compared to other teams and players when they do the same exact thing.

I think that's the sad part of sports journalism these days, especially ESPN, where they have tons of writers, analysts, etc. that are so blatant in cheering for their team that I wonder if they have the pom poms right beside them. The fact that places like ESPN allows for guys like Bill Simmons, Ron Jaworski, and Dick Vitale get away with this is horrible. That makes for a select few writers and analysts that do what Aikman does....be harsher on their former to so they don't get the homer label.

In the end, the viewer isn't getting a very interesting and geniune take from these guys.

Rich..........

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx said:
Good points, i didnt know he had done some of those things. And without a doubt he is very well respected by fans of all teams. Being a Cowboy homer that i am, i just get offended quicker with a former Cowboy announcer.

:hammer:

I think thats the same issue with most of the people complaining. Heck I am not saying sometimes I didn't think that Aikman doesn't seem to like Cowboys as much, but more I listen to him, I came to realize, he is trying to be as objective as possible without trying to look at it in "our" fan prespective rose colored glasses.

I am not saying everthing he says is accurate or his every opinion is pretty much on the money, but I think he tries to be objective mostly, which might come accross as dislike to Cowboys for us cowboys fans.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
DMX690 said:
So, because Troy doesn't kiss *** and doesn't have rose color glasses,

Explain Troy constantly apologizing for Brett Favre then.

I don't think Troy hates Dallas or the new regime in any fashion, but if Drew or Vinny or Quincy made some of the ill-advised throws and plays that Brett has in the past couple of seasons, he'd be very harsh in his assessment of them. With Favre, the Fox announcing crew usually laughs it off as "Brett being Brett."

Rich........

ravidubey

Reaction score
LandryFan said:

DMX, I think you're missing the point some of us are trying to make. I don't want Troy to be a Cowboys "homer", I just don't like listening to what seems like unbalanced announcing. Apparently a number of fans sense the same "bias" against the Cowboys when he announces. I don't know that he's a "hater" or not. It just seems that he's anti Cowboy when he calls a Dallas game.

Then, again, why say Jerry doesn't care about team chemistry without interviewing Jones or any current Cowboys beforehand? How does he know how much Jerry cares about team chemistry? I can't see this any other way other than a nice shot across the bow based on his experiences in Dallas. That's a whacked thing to say.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

I don't think Troy hates Dallas or the new regime in any fashion, but if Drew or Vinny or Quincy made some of the ill-advised throws and plays that Brett has in the past couple of seasons, he'd be very harsh in his assessment of them. With Favre, the Fox announcing crew usually laughs it off as "Brett being Brett."

Rich........

Yeah, OK, Madden doesn't do that? EPSN crew doesn't do that? CBS crew doesn't do that?

I mean, come on, which Analyst doesn't kiss Farve's rear all the time? At least Troy was one of those with guts to question McNabb accuracy or Vick not being a true QB way before rest of the analysts and experts started doing that too.

And how many skins on the wall do Drew Bledsoe, Quincy Carter or Vinny Testerverde have compared to Farve? Thats just silly comparison even. Yeah Brett Farve is shell of himself now, and doesn't deserve the accolaids he gets still, but to say, Aikman or his team is the only one who does that is completely wrong. There probably 1-2 exceptions of that, but not more than that, IMO.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

Rich........

Favre is just the poster boy for all announcers. I hate it to.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Yeah, OK, Madden doesn't do that? EPSN crew doesn't do that? CBS crew doesn't do that?

I mean, come on, which Analyst doesn't kiss Farve's rear all the time? At least Troy was one of those with guts to question McNabb accuracy or Vick not being a true QB way before rest of the analysts and experts started doing that too.

That was just an example of Troy's contradictions. Like I said, I don't think he hates Dallas in the least bit, but I do believe he's harsher on Dallas when things go wrong than any other team when things go wrong. Why? Because he doesn't want the homer label.

I think a better example is in the 2004 game against Green Bay where the offense looked disorganized and included Quincy Morgan and Richie Anderson screwing up on a pass pattern that they ran into each other.

A few weeks later I saw another team do the same exact thing with very sloppy offensive play and he was much less harsh on that team.

Rich.........

skinsscalper

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Frankly he is bending over backwards and the result is that he sounds like a hater. I have hardly heard anything good from him about the Cowboys for several years now.

Honestly, there hasn't been much nice to say about the Cowboys for several years. Sucks, but it's true.

SS