Why is Brad Johnson still on the team?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smashmouth24;2406754 said:
Can they afford an active roster spot for BJ with so many injured returning for the first week?

That's a great question.

I'd answer no.

There's no good reason why this washed uo bum is on the roster.

Holding for FG's and PAT's isn't enough for him to be active on game days or to remain on the roster.

The team should get someone else to do it.

Someone who can actually contribute in other ways as well.

I'd probably chalk it up to a collective ego thing at this point.

There are no viable alternatives at QB to bring in at this point so why should the Cowboys subject themselves to further criticism by outright releasing a guy they thought could actually start only two weeks ago?

They're taking enough grief for making the mistake the first time, to cut him would only make them look worse.

Instead they'll hide him at #3 and hope everybody forgets this latest debacle until they quietly release him in the offseason.

Smashmouth24

Reaction score
Playing devil's advocate maybe holder is higher value if Romo will need more time to get right. I think Bollinger should be emergency #3, available but not using an active roster spot.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smashmouth24;2406778 said:
Playing devil's advocate maybe holder is higher value if Romo will need more time to get right. I think Bollinger should be emergency #3, available but not using an active roster spot.

If they need a crazed fan to run onto the field and go 'Kerrigan' on ol' Brad's knee I volunteer for the job.

That way we can just skip from Romo to Bollinger if anything happens.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
How do we know Bollinger has never been a holder?

The new punter also has probably held at some point in his life.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Johnson isn't going to take up an active roster spot... The 3rd QB is inactive.

And they're already working on other holders. Sounded in the PC yesterday like it will be Crayton. Sam P. has done it a little, but not in college... And Bolligner has never done it.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2406801 said:

And they're already working on other holders. Sounded in the PC yesterday like it will be Crayton. Sam P. has done it a little, but not in college... And Bolligner has never done it.

Crayton would be great. If this staff had any guts, we could really use that to our advantage a few times a year.

Givincer

Reaction score
bbgun;2406376 said:
To drive us crazy.

http://img241.*************/img241/5797/ch21sunnov22008041627pmwl0.jpg

Should've posted a picture of 3rd and 7. And then one of 4th and 7.

:laugh2:

But, this is definitely a good question. He's purposeless.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2406801 said:

I don't think Johnson should be taking up any roster spot.

Open it up and start bringing players in for workouts.

Not necessarily quarterbacks either, wnyone that might be able to improve this team.

Anything's better than simply wasting the spot.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Even if Johnson is our third-string QB, that doesn't mean he has to be the inactive quarterback. We could keep him active so he can hold for kicks, and we could make Bollinger the inactive QB. If Romo got hurt during the first three quarters, we still could bring in Bollinger, which would make Johnson ineligible to play anymore. But that wouldn't be any different from getting rid of Johnson altogether -- we'd need a new/backup holder anyway.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Givincer;2406814 said:
Should've posted a picture of 3rd and 7. And then one of 4th and 7.

:laugh2:

But, this is definitely a good question. He's purposeless.

http://img60.*************/img60/5172/ch21sunnov22008060122pmmr9.jpg

Him being benched is better.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
TraceActions;2406450 said:
Changing holders in the middle of the season would be stupid. That part of his game has been rock solid.
BJ should remain the 2nd string qb but in name only. BB would come in if need be.

Hell yeah, leave the ST part alone. The backup QB spot aint gonna improve any more this year

BARRYRAY;2406739 said:
What I saw last week was a man that understands that the NFL is a business and he got one more game check, another month in the retirement plan and this time next year he'll be beside Bledsoe on a beach in Cabo drinking margaritas. He's still here because we're too cheap to get a good back up. Don't blame Brad he's just collecting checks. Could somebody tell me what his retirement check will be. He has so many years in it must be seriously great. Has anybody missed Bledose. He might be immobile as heck but man at least they feared his arm. give him time and he can make it fly. Seriously we screwed up. should of bribed him into staying as back up..

Bledsoe wanted to start and he did not want to back up anyone

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Hostile;2406406 said:
He was demoted to #3 QB. If he comes into the game to hold on a PAT or FG he has to remain in the game as the QB. Once the 3rd string QB enters the game he is your QB for the rest of the game.

Not necessarily. Once the fourth quarter starts, the third QB can enter the game without making the first two ineligible.

Also, the inactive QB cannot enter the game as the holder without first taking at least one snap at QB. After that, he can be a holder, punter or kicker, but he can't play any other position.

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
I love Brad Johnson. He was the reason we won against the Bucs. He didn't have any turnovers that game. He did what was asked of him as best as he could.

I hope you all forgive Brad for his interceptions because he truly is a great guy and a great football player in a worn out body.
Just check out his website, and you'll begin to love him as much as I do.
TrueGreatness.com

If given a full season, Brad could take the Cowboys to the Super Bowl just like he took the Bucs to the Super Bowl.

Gotcha! :laugh2:

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
He's still on the team cause Wade and Goodell are old school. They love the facemask, that he's never changed. Reminds them of the D-linemen of the 70's.