Why is everyone anointing Scarborough as the RB2?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Short yardage plays... only if Zeke goes down.

There simply isn't a safer bet in the NFL than Zeke on 3rd & 1, both the analytics and the eye test prove it.

And it's not just about who can bully their way into the line the hardest. If so, all 32 teams would run a huge brusing fullback in each of those situations. Nope, it's about ballcarrier vision, ability to have the innate sense to hit the right hole in the split second. Football smarts and field awareness, there isn't a better runner than Zeke in the NFL.

Example... Fournette is a talented young back, but he's inferior to Zeke in all the intangible ways. Against the Patriots he gets stuffed on critical short yardage downs because he just can't hit the right hole at the right time. Zeke would have won the Jaguars that game.
You are spot on!! Perfect example of Zek’s vision and smarts in a short yardage situation was the GB game last year. You know what I’m going to say. 4th and 1, around 2 minutes to play. Zek runs up the middle. He finds a tiny crease, but not enough of one. Every GB fan, and a lot of our fans, think he was stuffed short. The play is reviewed. The camera view from above shows Zek stretching the ball out as far as he can, with 2 hands, just before the play is blown dead. Awesome play. That play could have easily spurred us on to victory, but Garrett and Linehan decided to throw a low % fade to Dez to stop the clock giving Rogers just enough time to come back and beat us.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The Tavon Austin thing is bizarre. Running back? REALLY guys?!!!! The FO see's him as a scat back? lol....Do they realize he's 178 pounds soakin wet? One hit and he's done.

giphy.gif

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
On 3rd and 4th down with 1 to go, Zeke is 26 of 31 converting...83.8%.
That is awesome, but what is Brady on 4th and 1? I am glad we are now running the QB sneak with Dak. Football 101, if it is 4th and 1 or less, if a defender is not over the center, QB should run QB sneak. How many times a season do you see a running back get stuffed behind the LOS by a defender shooting a gap when just before the snap there was not a defender over the center. I, 100% quarante you all, if Brady is in that situation with no one over the center he will run a QB sneak and make it. Dak should do the same thing.

blueblood70

Reaction score
On 3rd and 4th down with 1 to go, Zeke is 26 of 31 converting...83.8%.
as good as he is at some point if we are thinking long term and playoff minded, you HAVE to save some of Zekes legs..it would be prudent to use Morris and BO on short yardage and some goal line.. Zeke needs to be saved from himself so in the 4th qtrs., late season must wins, and playoff games, hes fresh..

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He was a late 7th rounder for a reason. These are the type of picks that get traded for practice squad prospects and washed up JAGs. Maybe he's another Alfred Morris, but he's not going to get the opportunity Morris had because the Commanders had a hole at RB that year after drafting both RG3 and Cousins.

He's not particularly fast or great at anything, just a decent body to have on the team. Let's not forget we still have some guys who can, you know, run the ball, with NFL experience behind them.

RB1 - Zeke
RB2 (Alf role) - R. Smith
3DRB (Dunbar role) - Tavon Austin
RB4 - Scarborough

Anyone who thinks Scarborough is going to get 250+ yards in the regular season or anything crazy like that is fooling themselves big time.

Bo gets more attention because we want to see him and the oline pound other teams.

I'd like him to put on a little more weight and be a FB. A FB that would be an actual threat running the ball.

If that doesn't happen, he is definitely a reserve behind R. Smith, only active when Smith or Zeke are out.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
That is awesome, but what is Brady on 4th and 1? I am glad we are now running the QB sneak with Dak. Football 101, if it is 4th and 1 or less, if a defender is not over the center, QB should run QB sneak. How many times a season do you see a running back get stuffed behind the LOS by a defender shooting a gap when just before the snap there was not a defender over the center. I, 100% quarante you all, if Brady is in that situation with no one over the center he will run a QB sneak and make it. Dak should do the same thing.
On 3rd and 4th and 1, looks like Brady is 92 of 103 - 89.3%

https://www.pro-football-reference....cation[]=DM&pass_location[]=DR&order_by=yards

Gameover

Reaction score
I’ve been watching football my whole life. I’ve been on these boards since 2000.

Things I’ve never heard of before the last 9 months or so:

QB Room
WR Room
TE Room

Etc

WR1
WR2

RB1
RB2

Etc

If Bo makes the team he’ll be Zeke’ Backup. No RB2 garbage

None of you used that terminology before 2017.

Last edited:

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
He was a late 7th rounder for a reason. These are the type of picks that get traded for practice squad prospects and washed up JAGs. Maybe he's another Alfred Morris, but he's not going to get the opportunity Morris had because the Commanders had a hole at RB that year after drafting both RG3 and Cousins.

He's not particularly fast or great at anything, just a decent body to have on the team. Let's not forget we still have some guys who can, you know, run the ball, with NFL experience behind them.

RB1 - Zeke
RB2 (Alf role) - R. Smith
3DRB (Dunbar role) - Tavon Austin
RB4 - Scarborough

Anyone who thinks Scarborough is going to get 250+ yards in the regular season or anything crazy like that is fooling themselves big time.

I'd guess the Cowboys don't think they have a backup RB that can approach Zeke's level. I'm not saying that Scarborough can, but a looked might find out.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
It is the name Bo He will either make the team or will not and life will go on no matter which happens I promice

millennial_legend

Reaction score
You are spot on!! Perfect example of Zek’s vision and smarts in a short yardage situation was the GB game last year. You know what I’m going to say. 4th and 1, around 2 minutes to play. Zek runs up the middle. He finds a tiny crease, but not enough of one. Every GB fan, and a lot of our fans, think he was stuffed short. The play is reviewed. The camera view from above shows Zek stretching the ball out as far as he can, with 2 hands, just before the play is blown dead. Awesome play. That play could have easily spurred us on to victory, but Garrett and Linehan decided to throw a low % fade to Dez to stop the clock giving Rogers just enough time to come back and beat us.
The risk/reward on the Dez fade is basically lose-lose. Scoring too early against Rodgers is a cardinal sin. Too many teams know this too well including us.

Either run or do a quick screen and stay inbounds.

vaturkey

Reaction score
Drafted: Round 7, No. 236 overall out of Alabama.
Analysis: Ezekiel Elliott is clearly capable of handling the lion's share of duties on all three downs, but Scarbrough is a downhill runner who has the size and demeanor to help the Cowboys continue to impose their will on the ground when Elliott is resting. I can envision Scarbrough thriving in a complementary role similar to the one the Titans' Derrick Henry has played behind DeMarco Murray for much of his career. Landing Scarbrough in the seventh round could turn out to be a tremendous steal this season.