Why is everyone anointing Scarborough as the RB2?

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
Short yardage plays... only if Zeke goes down.

There simply isn't a safer bet in the NFL than Zeke on 3rd & 1, both the analytics and the eye test prove it.

And it's not just about who can bully their way into the line the hardest. If so, all 32 teams would run a huge brusing fullback in each of those situations. Nope, it's about ballcarrier vision, ability to have the innate sense to hit the right hole in the split second. Football smarts and field awareness, there isn't a better runner than Zeke in the NFL.

Example... Fournette is a talented young back, but he's inferior to Zeke in all the intangible ways. Against the Patriots he gets stuffed on critical short yardage downs because he just can't hit the right hole at the right time. Zeke would have won the Jaguars that game.

This. Zeke has to be close to 100% at 3rd and 1

zerofill

Reaction score
it is said they are concerned he runs so upright.

not sure if that is changeable.

its his style.

He needs to learn where the sidelines are and use them more instead of lowering his shoulder like Megatron.

Doubt he is going to get very low... he is kinda tall for a RB.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
As for the OP, Smith being able to play ST helps Scarbrough make the team. Usually the RB3 has to play ST while the other two are the primary runners. Smith being on teams takes that pressure off.

That being said a RB comes in who can play teams and is a similar runner and Scarbrough is out. thing is that Scarbrough has a size, speed, and power dimension that will be hard to replicate.

I think if he stays healthy he makes the team.

Number1

Reaction score
RB1 - Zeke
RB2 (Alf role) - R. Smith
3DRB (Dunbar role) - Tavon Austin
RB4 - Scarborough

Anyone who thinks Scarborough is going to get 250+ yards in the regular season or anything crazy like that is fooling themselves big time.

Bo probably won't often make the game day roster, likely the 53, he's good but not essential or unique enough to get immediate playing time on this team. Smith has better hands and Austin brings serious big play ability

and they just moved Lewis Neal to FB, http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/players/roster/lewis-neal
:)

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Again, I saw nobody anointing him but as a good backup back.
Duh, because we had already drafted Zeke by that point. Same for Scarbrough, fans apointing him as RB2... next suspension of any kind for Zeke is 10 games.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
He is Marion Barber without the moves only move Bo knows is running over or bouncing off of what ever is in front of him

Last edited:

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Bell Cow - Zeke
Backup lead back/breather for Zeke - either Smith or Scarbrough
Third down running back/scatback - Tavon Austin
Fullback/lead blocker - Jamize Olawale

You have to have one of each if you're going to run Linehan's offense. Rod Smith can catch, but he's not a burner, and we were definitely missing that scatback guy from our offense last year. One who can turn a 3rd & long checkdown into a first down because of his elite quicks and elusiveness. Austin has that ability.

Therefore, Zeke, Austin, and Olawale are shoe-ins, and it's between Smith and Scarbrough for the RB2 spot. There's an outside chance they keep both and make one inactive on gamedays, though. Look at 2016. 4 HBs and 1 FB is not insane compared to 2016 when we carried 7 total (but only 5 receivers). The main problem that year was that Dunbar and Whitehead were pretty redundant. We also carried too many bad linebackers that year like Gachkar and Wilber.
I can't see Austin being much of a blocker. Meaning he'd make a bad choice as a third down back. Half the time they stay in and block. Remember Dunbar getting steam rolled when he tried?

To use Austin effectively, they need to keep defenses guessing with him on first and second down.

Zeke should be our third down back, everytime.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was a late 7th rounder for a reason. These are the type of picks that get traded for practice squad prospects and washed up JAGs. Maybe he's another Alfred Morris, but he's not going to get the opportunity Morris had because the Commanders had a hole at RB that year after drafting both RG3 and Cousins.

He's not particularly fast or great at anything, just a decent body to have on the team. Let's not forget we still have some guys who can, you know, run the ball, with NFL experience behind them.

RB1 - Zeke
RB2 (Alf role) - R. Smith
3DRB (Dunbar role) - Tavon Austin
RB4 - Scarborough

Anyone who thinks Scarborough is going to get 250+ yards in the regular season or anything crazy like that is fooling themselves big time.

Bo Scarbrough..

millennial_legend

Reaction score
I can't see Austin being much of a blocker. Meaning he'd make a bad choice as a third down back. Half the time they stay in and block. Remember Dunbar getting steam rolled when he tried?

To use Austin effectively, they need to keep defenses guessing with him on first and second down.

Zeke should be our third down back, everytime.
Yes. I also remember Dunbar catching passes for major RAC yardage in 2 minute drills with Romo to set up late half and game FGs and TDs. Something Zeke isn't quick or elusive enough to do.

Dunbar is quicker than fast, while Zeke is faster than quick. Eh

Hadenough

Reaction score
I just dont see Austin being a big contributor. If McVay and the Rams couldnt get much out of him im not counting on this dude to be a big contributor. He is 175lbs.
Best position for Austin is to play out wide as a deep threat not to be running the ball. Zeke and Smith should be heavily involved in running and catching the ball out of the backfield. I actually want to see Zeke line up some at WR with a LB trying to cover him.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I just dont see Austin being a big contributor. If McVay and the Rams couldnt get much out of him im not counting on this dude to be a big contributor. He is 175lbs.
Best position for Austin is to play out wide as a deep threat not to be running the ball. Zeke and Smith should be heavily involved in running and catching the ball out of the backfield. I actually want to see Zeke line up some at WR with a LB trying to cover him.
The Tavon Austin thing is bizarre. Running back? REALLY guys?!!!! The FO see's him as a scat back? lol....Do they realize he's 178 pounds soakin wet? One hit and he's done.

I'm with you. I have a difficult time thinking of Austin as a running back. I get his versatility, but he's not a running back in the conventional sense, and our WR group has a lot of numbers (players), if not quality.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
The Tavon Austin thing is bizarre. Running back? REALLY guys?!!!! The FO see's him as a scat back? lol....Do they realize he's 178 pounds soakin wet? One hit and he's done.
What does that say about me? I'm about the same height as Tavon but I'm 128 pounds after lunch.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I never really watched him play... supposedly he is a run straight bruiser who hits hard... Maybe they want him for some short yardage plays, or goal line runs.

Nah I heard he is not a brusier. Just a north south runner.