Why is everyone blasting the OLine?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2342063 said:
Because everyone on the oline got beat like rented mules Sunday. Flo was a turnstile, Proctor was well Proctor, Gurode wouldn't snap the ball on time, Davis was ok except for the penalty after the Barber TD, and Columbo played ok I guess.

And that is like a rented mule??? They didn't suddenly stop knowing how to play or metamorphosis (sic) into players without talent.

Adams one weakness is with speed rushers. He rarely gave up a sack last year and has played at a real pro bowl level for years. His inability to use his left arm speaks volumes. Why they didn't give him help and/or substitute another player mystifies me. And as someone said that speaks volumes about their ability to trust another LT in the game. Or why they felt Tony could overcome the lack of protection or why MB is so necessary in the offense he can be kept in for protection.

Colombo has had better games but let's give the Cardinals some credit. We have a huge big line and the way to play them is to outspeed them which is what they did. Colombo was ok.

I didn't see that much pressure up the middle but I confess to watching the outside more.

The only person who had a bad game was Adams and he was injured and left on an island.

The Cards got shut down in the running game, too. And without Fitzgerald I don't think they score in the second half. You can't fault the coaches or the players completely when one of the best WRs in the game puts on a show.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
jobberone;2342186 said:
And that is like a rented mule??? They didn't suddenly stop knowing how to play or metamorphosis (sic) into players without talent.

Adams one weakness is with speed rushers. He rarely gave up a sack last year and has played at a real pro bowl level for years. His inability to use his left arm speaks volumes. Why they didn't give him help and/or substitute another player mystifies me. And as someone said that speaks volumes about their ability to trust another LT in the game. Or why they felt Tony could overcome the lack of protection or why MB is so necessary in the offense he can be kept in for protection.

Colombo has had better games but let's give the Cardinals some credit. We have a huge big line and the way to play them is to outspeed them which is what they did. Colombo was ok.

I didn't see that much pressure up the middle but I confess to watching the outside more.

The only person who had a bad game was Adams and he was injured and left on an island.

The Cards got shut down in the running game, too. And without Fitzgerald I don't think they score in the second half. You can't fault the coaches or the players completely when one of the best WRs in the game puts on a show.

Yes speed rushers are Flo weakness but they were just running past him like he was a tackling dummy. I have never seen him get beat as bad as he did Sunday.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
nake;2342031 said:
What's a little scary is that the coaches feel a one-armed Flo is better than McQuisten or anyone else, meaning we have no real depth at left tackle.
what do you expect from cupcake. he's not exactly a progressive thinkiner.

some coaches would play a probowler with a broken leg over a young guy.

what is SCARY is that the coaches don't see obvious problems, nor make adjustments (jason) to account for OL ineptitude.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theebs;2342012 said:
They played a bad game.

The cardinals never sent more than 4 guys once. And they whipped our lines tail.

Yes, they did.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jake0;2342010 said:
Going into the season and through the first few weeks it was perhaps our biggest strength. Now all of the sudden it's a major weakness? How do you spike from a massive strength to major weakness? It just doesn't make any sense, think about why the line suddenly was weak instead of panicking.

I'm pretty sure Flozell can completely manhandle a guy like Travis Laboy.... he's dominated far better defensive ends, except when he's only using one arm. As long as his pinched nerve or stinger or whatever he had isn't serious then we're fine there. Nobody ever complained about Flo other than his false start problem. Now everyone is blasting him. Proctor's pretty terrible, that's a given. We should have Kosier back pretty soon though and then we should be alright.

The only things that should be blasted are the depth of the oline and perhaps the coaching staff for being idiots and leaving one-armed-flo in the game and letting Romo get killed. Or maybe that goes hand in hand with our depth concerns......

The line hasn't changed at all, only the description placed on them by sensationalist media hacks has changed. That line has ALWAYS been slightly above average in pass blocking and BELOW average in run blocking. The media hacks don't believe in describing things as they are, they prefer to describe things as "fantastic" or "horrible".

So take it all with a grain of salt, the OL doesn't suck, but it isn't that good either. :eek:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
also some of them said they played Okay yet our probowl QB is hurt!!!!!!!! :chainsaw: !!!!!!!!!!!!

thekavorka

Reaction score
but I am a bit concerned about the rushing game.

we seem to have a lot of 0,1,2 yard gains and the occasional long run. i'd rather see more consistent production.

cowboyz

Reaction score
against the cardinals none of them played good.

davis and gurode were unable to create big pushes like they normally do.
colombo got beat occasionally

flozell was horrible
proctor was the worst of course

and holland came in on that drive from the onsides kick.

1st play. holland misses the block on a run, where he pulled to the right side
2nd play. flozell whiffs
3rd play. romo whiffs on the snap
punt

witten had trouble blocking as well. the cardinals DTs were playing great. and for the most part they were rushing just 4. dallas only moved the ball at the beginning of the 2nd half where romo was just throwing quick passes to TO and felix got his big run, then only when the cardinals went to 3 down lineman at the end of the 1st and 2nd halves.

the other games, it's been proctor playing bad and everyone else good.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2342063 said:
Because everyone on the oline got beat like rented mules Sunday. Flo was a turnstile, Proctor was well Proctor, Gurode wouldn't snap the ball on time, Davis was ok except for the penalty after the Barber TD, and Columbo played ok I guess.

Oh good, so it's not just me. It's amazing the lengths some will go to deny problems or weaknesses.

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
theebs;2342012 said:
They played a bad game.

The cardinals never sent more than 4 guys once. And they whipped our lines tail.

That about sums it up. The cardinals were much more physical and attacked us on defense. Flozell had on of his worst games in recent memory. Give the cards their due.

As usaul this is an overreaction from the media. Houck will have the boys back on track this sunday.

yimyammer

Reaction score
I read somewhere (unfortunately, I can't remember where) a while back that Flo didn't get along with or like Hudson Houck.

Did anyone else see or hear this?

If true, I wonder if that could be effecting his play?

Ender

Reaction score
It wasn't just one game, the line has played horrible the last three weeks. Romo hasn't been getting sacked but hes been getting hit and he hasn't had time.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
yimyammer;2343699 said:
I read somewhere (unfortunately, I can't remember where) a while back that Flo didn't get along with or like Hudson Houck.

Did anyone else see or hear this?

If true, I wonder if that could be effecting his play?

that was Solomon Page.

Adams will be fine, its obvious he was hurt the other day because he never plays that poorly. If the reports are true that he could hardly life his arm if at all) we have no worries.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
dbair1967;2343922 said:
Not according to Broadus (sp?). He said they were only sending 4 on every pass play.
si.com says Romo was 6 of 10 vs. the blitz in that game, so they evidently sent more than 4 ten times on pass attempts. That doesn't include rush attempts, QB scrambles, or sacks.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I'm not defending the Oline...They have been playing like crap and this last game they capped off their mediocre performance. The leader of the pack, was Lazy fat lard Flozell Adams. I'm sorry he looked like He wasnt trying, and after getting beat like a drum, he didnt even look like He cared.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
DallasDomination;2344320 said:
I'm not defending the Oline...They have been playing like crap and this last game they capped off their mediocre performance. The leader of the pack, was Lazy fat lard Flozell Adams. I'm sorry he looked like He wasnt trying, and after getting beat like a drum, he didnt even look like He cared.

Yeah and it still amazes me that Gurode can not snap a proper ball when in the shotgun. I think once these guys get the big payday their performance goes to hell....

I was actually surprised they signed Adams (age 33) to the huge extension this past offseason. The young guys have to step up...I mean someone, anyone, come on...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2342200 said:
Yes speed rushers are Flo weakness but they were just running past him like he was a tackling dummy. I have never seen him get beat as bad as he did Sunday.

When you have a partial paralysis of your left arm you aren't going to be able to push those guys on down the field. Supposedly he was having problems even raising the arm towards the end of the game. They set up wide and declare they're going to speed rush outside. All Flo can do is react quickly and just use the guys momentum to carry him down the field. He's not going to be able to get in front of a guy like that lined up that wide. He's got to have a good left arm to push with..

I really would like to know why they left him in the game. Retrospectively it looks like a bad decision to not relieve him. And a worse one to not help him. I'd have liked to be a fly on the wall Monday.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
CATCH17;2342020 said:
Because 1 bad week for anyone that is a Dallas Cowboy just about turns their entire career into a failure.

These guys can play. They just need to step their game up.

Agreed. They've shown they can play. It's not as if we suddenly have to worry, "OMG, like all of our linemen totally sux!!"

This team has been flat for a few weeks and it caught up to the line. The issue is simply, across the board, we have to regain some edge, continuity, focus and the want-to to kick tail.