Why is everyone so down on Jason Garrett?

Coy

Reaction score
Because BB did it doesn't mean Garrett will or can do it common, it's like saying we should have waited a couple of more years to see if Quincy Carter became Joe Montana because Montana wasn't good the first couple of years.
Just take a look at BB teams with Cleveland and you'll see why he had those records, yes he wasn't as good as when he got to NE but you are talking about one of the best ever.

links18

Reaction score
My problem with Garrett is that when people ask me what hes good at I don't have an answer.

Talent acquisition was the flavor of the week on here last time I checked.......

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
What is funny is the same guys that called for Wade's head after 4 years are now saying 4 years is too soon to judge a head coach

And in those 4 years Wade won 2 division titles and a playoff game

In Garrett's 4 years he has never posted more than 8 wins and has never even made the playoffs

Double standard much?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Garrett has not adapted to the game. He is still trying to fit square pegs in round holes. That is my issue with him, he is not putting the players in the best position to succeed(offensively).

I can let his in-game mistakes go, time management and whatever else. His scheme is outdated and does not seem to be working and a change is needed. Since it is his scheme, there is no one else to take that fall.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
This is not Cleveland it is Dallas. Did Belicheck take over a team coming off an 11-5 with a playoff win team? I agree Jerry wants to be right and unfortunately he is pissing away the prime of core players in the meantime. This is not the 80s or 90s a real coach turns a team around in 1,2 or 3 years we declined from the year before he took over and have been on the mediocre train since.

Honestly? I think he might be almost done entertaining the idea that this core can take his team places.
He just might be thinking about this for after next year.

New Coach.
New players.
Maybe a new offense and defense- and a new philosophy along with them. New guys to kiss his sweet patootey- COOOL!
A breath of fresh air might just rejuvenate those old bones of his.

I'm sure he's already been day-dreaming about building the next "Core".

I'm sure he still wants Jason and this team to succeed.
It would give him vindication, but if not...

He's got a nice breath of fresh air he can look forward to. And probably already has.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Here me out before you guys go ape doo doo. The coach that we all wished we had started off his first stint of being a head coach in Cleveland at 6-10, 7-9, 7-9, 11-5, and 5-11 (36-44) before he churned out the juggernaut called the Patriots. Jason Garret is at .518 (29-27) . Could we theoretically say that most of you would be calling for Belichick's head if he were our coach back then? Prior to knowing that he would end up being one of the greatest H.C.'s of all time? In my opinion I think this is what Jerry is hoping for. He wants that "I told you so moment." Now, we can all agree that Garrett is an intellectual, but at the same time most of you are wondering when will he stop studying the "Coaching For Dummies" book?

I guess if you say so. If that's the standard, then so much for progress.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
People are down on Garrett because they aren't pinning their hopes on another man's accomplishments meaning anything for Jason Garrett.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Here me out before you guys go ape doo doo. The coach that we all wished we had started off his first stint of being a head coach in Cleveland at 6-10, 7-9, 7-9, 11-5, and 5-11 (36-44) before he churned out the juggernaut called the Patriots. Jason Garret is at .518 (29-27) . Could we theoretically say that most of you would be calling for Belichick's head if he were our coach back then? Prior to knowing that he would end up being one of the greatest H.C.'s of all time? In my opinion I think this is what Jerry is hoping for. He wants that "I told you so moment." Now, we can all agree that Garrett is an intellectual, but at the same time most of you are wondering when will he stop studying the "Coaching For Dummies" book?

Uh, he should have been fired in Cleveland, his record was poor. Matter of fact, before Brady became the starter he thought that he may get fired in NE because his record the previous year was 5-11. What changed his fortune, finding an elite qb in Brady without him the result would have been the same as it was in Cleveland. I'm not taking anything away from Bill but he and Brady make a great team.

We have one part of that tandem with Romo now we're just waiting on the other part to be hired.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
Because BB did it doesn't mean Garrett will or can do it common, it's like saying we should have waited a couple of more years to see if Quincy Carter became Joe Montana because Montana wasn't good the first couple of years.
Just take a look at BB teams with Cleveland and you'll see why he had those records, yes he wasn't as good as when he got to NE but you are talking about one of the best ever.

The Cleveland Browns were just as talented as the Cowboys of Jason Garrett's era with two great coaching minds. Belichick was the HC, Nick Saban, DC

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
there is a difference...you're talking about him coaching for the browns...a team that has ALWAYS sucked and NO ONE has been able to make good....not just belichick.

garrett is HC about a team that has BEEN GOOD in past days. it has an owner that will do everything he can to win. if you cant win with the cowboys, then you suck as a HC.

I mean, unless you think switzer (post-Jimmy team), campo, etc. were good coaches?

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
Garrets record has nothing to do with my dislike for him.

The guy does not know how to manage a game, or scheme and offense. I can't remember an HC I've seen mismanage games as often and consistently as Garrett. I won't get into his offense scheme which has been garbage ever since he became OC.

His offensive scheme since he became OC eh?? Well in 2007 when the Cowboys were 13-3 he was the OC. The team Scored 455 points (28.4/g), 2nd of 32 in the NFL, and have been in the top 15 since then and 5th this year.