Why is everyone so down on Jason Garrett?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
9 years in the NFL as a coach is hardly little experience. Garrett is 47 and Belichick is 61.

8 years, is not a lot of coaching experience. Especially if you've only had one year of coaching at a level where you were expected to ask more questions than give answers. Garrett has had very little opportunity to be in a position where everyone wasn't looking to him for the answers and be able to ask stupid questions like most people do when they are making their bones in any profession.

I'm not even saying he can't improve, but if anyone thought that this guy was gonna walk into the league and be some kind of coaching savant that didn't need any experience prior, they were kidding themselves.

TTexasTT

Reaction score
Bellichick was coaching in the NFL for 16 YEARS before he even got the head coaching job for the Browns. Garrett was coaching for less than 5 before he became the head coach here.

haha is that the valid excuse for his early sucking?

JG had about a decade less and managed to accumulate more wins in his first 3 years.

interesting-call-tracking.jpeg

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

JG had about a decade less and managed to accumulate more wins in his first 3 years.

interesting...

I agree, that's an interesting take on the statement I made. You think the point of that post was to make excuses for Bellichick?

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
Yes, it's a Garrett problem.

The 'personnel' didn't decide to abandon the run in the 2nd half against GB. The 'personnel' didn't ice their own kicker. The 'personnel' didn't decide to hire a relic to coach an ancient 4-3 defensive scheme. The 'personnel' didn't call plays that dictated Romo throw in key situations where a run was absolutely called for. The 'personnel' didn't mismanage the clock in countless ways over the past 3 years.

And last I checked, the HC is responsible for the offense AND the defense. If the D is historically bad, that is not just on the DC or even just on the terribad owner/GM, its also on the HC who obviously did not manage games with the knowledge that his defense was horrific or having any answer for it whatsoever.

I agree with you on the play calling and the blunders on time management, but do you really think that Garrett hired the DC?? Last I checked, defense wins ball games.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Yup, the other person said that Cleveland has ALWAYS sucked.

i also say the eagles and titans and oilers have always sucked....but of course, we can go find one instance who knows when where they might not have...doesnt mean they didnt, however.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Watch the Green Bay game. Rinse and repeat. Once your through vomiting I'm pretty sure your question should be answered. But just in case it isn't here is my rundown.

He revisits the same 3 errors over and over again.

1. He has no feel for playcalling. This was supposed to be his strength right? It manifests itself more often than not by completely abandoning the run. But it's more about not having an innate sense of when to do what.

2. Periodically he stops going to his playmakers because the defense designs a defense to take them away. You should never lose a ballgame with Dez only being targeted 3 times. Sometimes you have to go to your playmakers even when they're covered. If you lose that way at least you've fired all your bullets. Whatever you do don't leave any in the chamber.

3. Game management. This is more of an extension of number 1. He really just seems to have a lack of instincts that the great one's possess. The later in the game it gets the more his lack of this intangible becomes visible. Whether it's when to go for it, a run/pass decision, or when to call a timeout it appears way to often that he's just guessing out there. The bigger issue is I think the entire team mimics the head coach's lack of intuitive awareness on how to get it done late in games.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Because he's great at snatching losses from the jaws of victory.

But on the other hand he does put on a great show. The Cowboys find new ways to lose games every year. And they find themselves the lead story on shows like First Take so Jerry has to be pleased.

Coy

Reaction score

interesting-call-tracking.jpeg

I respect your posts but this? Really?

Last edited:

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Oh boy, youre about to get slammed for all the JG haters.

Especially when you point out his record to this point then compare it to Landry and Jimmy Johnsons record over the same time span.
They will say that those guys got garbage to work with and JG was given a team of Greek Gods.

Bill Walsh
1979-1982
24-33

Tom Landry
1960-1964
18-46

Bill Belichick
1991-1993
20-28

Jimmy Johnson
1989-1991
19-29

Jason Garrett
2010-2013
29-27

Parcells had 4 years in Dallas
34-30

I want to win as much as any other fan but JG while not winning has fixed problems and the players clearly respect him and play hard for him yet hes avoided atleast losing seasons while keeping the team in contention until the very end.
That being said, if he doesnt produce next year it may be time to move on.

This is a clown mentality

Landry was considered an innovator and a defensive genius. There were less teams and come yell different rules when it came to team structure, NFL rules, etc. Same for most of these coaches. We are in a league of parity where many teams playing today were teams that turned it around quickly. Let's me realistic. We've made no progress using a guy that Jerry admitted has been in training for 3 years. We shouldn't be a training ground so an owner can be shown to be right. We should be looking for someone who has been there.

wileedog

Reaction score
I agree with you on the play calling and the blunders on time management, but do you really think that Garrett hired the DC?? Last I checked, defense wins ball games.

If he didn't than he is part of the problem. Head coaches should be hiring their own DCs, and a real HC who couldn't would quit.

Furthermore, Garrett worked with Kiffen when he was at Miami and all reports said he was fully on board with the switch. Sorry, this crap is on his head too.

TTexasTT

Reaction score

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
This is a clown mentality

Landry was considered an innovator and a defensive genius. There were less teams and come yell different rules when it came to team structure, NFL rules, etc. Same for most of these coaches. We are in a league of parity where many teams playing today were teams that turned it around quickly. Let's me realistic. We've made no progress using a guy that Jerry admitted has been in training for 3 years. We shouldn't be a training ground so an owner can be shown to be right. We should be looking for someone who has been there.

We shouldn't have a coach in training and thank you for inadvertently bringing to light what my point is. It's not Garrett's fault that he's the H.C.

wileedog

Reaction score
Are you trying to tell me that Vinny Testeverde isnt one of the great QBs to play the game?

You mean the guy who many people at one time wondered if he was color blind because he threw so many interceptions?

Yes, I am telling you exactly that. Most of his stats are racked up because of his longevity, not his effectiveness.

TTexasTT

Reaction score
You mean the guy who many people at one time wondered if he was color blind because he threw so many interceptions?

Yes, I am telling you exactly that. Most of his stats are racked up because of his longevity, not his effectiveness.

sarcasm.... not even once