Why is Owens stopping/quiting on his routes?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
this is not a bash Owens thread but i'm sure there will be. but I'm thinking maybe his age is catching up to him and maybe he's getting tired quicker? he did it again last night on the deep ball Romo threw to him right before the safety. why does he keep doing this?

Daudr

Reaction score
Well, if you listen to the people arguing this last week, they say he's not. To me it's very clear that he does this all the time.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Because they are bad throws or uncatchable? Given how much TO loves his stats you think he would give up on a chance to increase his numbers?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Rampage;2496937 said:
this is not a bash Owens thread but i'm sure there will be. but I'm thinking maybe his age is catching up to him and maybe he's getting tired quicker? he did it again last night on the deep ball Romo threw to him right before the safety. why does he keep doing this?

I wondered about a couple times but generally he and others stop when they are socked in by the defense. TO seldom sees single coverage and often sees triple coverage. LB, CB, and S and the underneath to middle routes are just not there. TO is doing his job.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rampage;2496937 said:

You mean the one that the Giant player was flagged for illegal contact? TO did not slow up he was held up on the play

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2496961 said:
You mean the one that the Giant player was flagged for illegal contact? TO did not slow up he was held up on the play
wrong play. the one right before the safety. he quit on it before Romo even threw the ball.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
maybe they mean the one where he was almost fully stretched out trying to reach (the 1st throw to him) that was thrown out of his reach.

But I guess w/ the last "drama" done and buried, folks need something new to complain about when it comes to Terrell Owens... the way the guy apparently practices, doesn't make sense that he'd "just quit" on a route... if that were the case, why even bother going all out in practice? I'm sure Owens knows what he's doing and I think it should be left at that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rampage;2496966 said:
wrong play. the one right before the safety. he quit on it before Romo even threw the ball.

The play before the safety was a 5 yard offsides by Davis the play before that was a 4 yard run? Only play I saw by TO that hacked me off was the slide he made before getting the 1st down which lead to the 3rd and one where we got stuffed on the following play

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't know what guys even mean by this because what guys call "quitting on routes" I see Roy Williams and Crayton do this as well. So i'm not sure if this is just some nitpicking criticism of TO or what but he's not the only guy on the Cowboys or any team i've seen do this.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2496972 said:
The play before the safety was a 5 yard offsides by Davis the play before that was a 4 yard run? Only play I saw by TO that hacked me off was the slide he made before getting the 1st down which lead to the 3rd and one where we got stuffed on the following play
no it wasn't.

Dallas Cowboys at 08:28 1-10-DAL 8 (8:28) 24-M.Barber left tackle to DAL 11 for 3 yards (31-A.Ross).

2-7-DAL 11 (8:28) PENALTY on DAL-70-L.Davis, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at DAL 11 - No Play.

2-12-DAL 6 (7:20) 9-T.Romo pass incomplete deep left to 81-T.Owens. Pass incomplete on fly pattern; Ross closest defender.

3-12-DAL 6 (7:13) (Shotgun) 9-T.Romo sacked at DAL -7 for -13 yards (sack split by 97-M.Kiwanuka and 91-J.Tuck). FUMBLES (97-M.Kiwanuka), ball out of bounds in End Zone, SAFETY. Ball rolled out of the back of the endzone.

like I said it was the play right before the safety.

Verdict

Reaction score
I don't know whether receivers (including Owens) are quitting on routes, but it sure looks like it to me that they are.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rampage;2496984 said:
no it wasn't.

Dallas Cowboys at 08:28 1-10-DAL 8 (8:28) 24-M.Barber left tackle to DAL 11 for 3 yards (31-A.Ross).

2-7-DAL 11 (8:28) PENALTY on DAL-70-L.Davis, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at DAL 11 - No Play.

2-12-DAL 6 (7:20) 9-T.Romo pass incomplete deep left to 81-T.Owens. Pass incomplete on fly pattern; Ross closest defender.

3-12-DAL 6 (7:13) (Shotgun) 9-T.Romo sacked at DAL -7 for -13 yards (sack split by 97-M.Kiwanuka and 91-J.Tuck). FUMBLES (97-M.Kiwanuka), ball out of bounds in End Zone, SAFETY. Ball rolled out of the back of the endzone.

You are right I went back and checked you are correct.

Dimuha

Reaction score
I still like T.O. alot as a player but I noticed him giving up on a block last night on a Choice run which could have seen Choice break the play for a TD.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Rampage;2496984 said:
no it wasn't.

The ball was way overthrown, and Ross had him beat to begin with, so it wouldn't have mattered anyways.

Look-why stressed out over this? We came off a very tough loss AND unecessary media distractions. We really gutted out a must-needed win to get back in the WC hunt, and all we're worried about is what TO did/supposedly did/may have done, etc?:confused:

kramskoi

Reaction score
Rampage;2496937 said:
well let's just get rid of him then...and we'll see just like the Giants see without Burress how far the offense falls...

Boysboy

Reaction score
Dimuha;2497010 said:
I still like T.O. alot as a player but I noticed him giving up on a block last night on a Choice run which could have seen Choice break the play for a TD.

Uhhhhhmmmmmmmm..........that's not what I saw. Even Madden, who's very fair, gave TO props for that block that freed him up on the sidelines.

I'm not a TO fan myself, but let's not put our bias glasses on.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Boysboy;2497018 said:
Uhhhhhmmmmmmmm..........that's not what I saw. Even Madden, who's very fair, gave TO props for that block that freed him up on the sidelines.

I'm not a TO fan myself, but let's not put our bias glasses on.
you're the biggest flip-flopper since John Kerry.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
EPL0c0;2496971 said:
maybe they mean the one where he was almost fully stretched out trying to reach (the 1st throw to him) that was thrown out of his reach.

But I guess w/ the last "drama" done and buried, folks need something new to complain about when it comes to Terrell Owens... the way the guy apparently practices, doesn't make sense that he'd "just quit" on a route... if that were the case, why even bother going all out in practice? I'm sure Owens knows what he's doing and I think it should be left at that.

This isn't "new", it has been a complaint about Owens for as long as he's been in the NFL.