Why is the defense much better the past 2 games?

Beaker42

Reaction score
My theory is dirty laundry! Players tried to revolt. It backfired with fans and media. Now leaders are stepping up. That may be far fetched but really strange we went from quitters to hardest working guys
Griffey, Poe and Worley were worse for the locker room than they were on the field.

Proof

Reaction score
Because we played 2 teams in the bottom ten of the league and got away with 2 huge PI’s and a face mask on a critical 4th and 1. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

debbie-downer-01.jpg
O

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong the defense is playing better but we know the Eagles offense because we play them twice a year and their offensive line is just as devastated as ours. The Steelers played the two most physical teams in football on the road before coming to Dallas. They were due for a let down. The Vikings game will be telling. They appear to be surging and Cook is the best running back in the NFL.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because we played 2 teams in the bottom ten of the league and got away with 2 huge PI’s and a face mask on a critical 4th and 1. I wouldn’t read too much into it.
The Steelers are top 5 in points scored per game.

They're top 5 in not turning the ball over.

The Cowboys are 3rd in passing yards.

The Cowboys are 3rd in total yards.

The Cowboys lead the league in 1st downs.

If stats tell you that an unbeaten team at 8-0 has a bottom 3rd offense or defense, then you're looking at the wrong stats...

aria

Reaction score
The Steelers are top 5 in points scored per game.

They're top 5 in not turning the ball over.

The Cowboys are 3rd in passing yards.

The Cowboys are 3rd in total yards.

The Cowboys lead the league in 1st downs.

If stats tell you that an unbeaten team at 8-0 has a bottom 3rd offense or defense, then you're looking at the wrong stats...
I was looking at total yards, does that not count? Seems like it does since you brought it up yourself.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The list as I see it:
- Got rid of the dead weight defenders
- Brought up and in more active players
- Scheme seems a little bit different overall. Romo went into detail about the "Bear" front but tactically it seems that they are putting more effort into controlling the middle and they may have simplified the coverages.
- More time and reps in a completely new system does help. This sounds like an excuse but its reality.

bdk76

Reaction score
They stopped trying to do so much of that 2-gap nonsense.

Amazing what happens when you let your d line do what they're best at. Would have liked to seen what Hill would have done this year playing a 1 gap. Was average at best playing that 2 gap nonsense

DandyDon52

Reaction score
lol , it is simple, romo pointed it out, the scheme was changed to the 85 bears scheme, that is the reason.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The Cowboys are 3rd in total yards but only have 2 wins...
if you cant score td's, and wind up kicking fg's like in this pitt game, or you turn it over, your going to have a lot of yards, but few wins.
That is why you cant rate offenses by stats.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I had no idea Randy Gregory would be disruptive as he is.
He's way better than I expected
Gregory was going to be a top 10 pick, possibly top 5. Dude is greased lightning.
He is surprising me when he rushes standing up. I always thought he could be used as a stand up rusher, but would be much more effective as a 7T. However in the snaps I have him standing up, he looks just as effective if not more than rushing as a 7T. Thats a huge plus in a hybrid scheme.

aria

Reaction score
That you were wrong.

The Steelers are a top 10 offense....
Not in total yards and not based on the way they played Sunday. Please don’t act like suddenly our defense went from worst in the league to one of the best because of one game where clearly Pitt was off.