Why is the NFL committing suicide?

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by Killerinstinct, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

18,415 Messages
    34,225 Likes Received
    And to think a decade ago the anthem was played before the teams even came on to the field. :rolleyes:

65fastback2plus2 likes this.
  2. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

6,434 Messages
    6,171 Likes Received
    1) If we cant say the cop put it there, based on the evidence, then we cant say the gun was in the car either, based on the same evidence. Just because only A and B make sense, doesnt mean if you reject A that B is automatically the case.

2) If you're going to resist, you must be certain of your actions, for sure.

3) I wouldnt be wrong. No such thing as an unlicensed cigarette. Just because a law exists doesnt make something ACTUALLY right or wrong. Selling your personal property how you see fit is a RIGHT. Which means it naturally exists and a government, nor cop can add or remove it. Police can 100% just walk away, and they SHOULD if they are going to uphold their oaths. I blame the city as well, but everyone involved in the violation gets blamed. I blame the **** soldier for killing Jews, not just Hitler. The **** soldier could have just walked away or even protected the Jews, but they didnt. They are equally as guilty. Just because some authority makes something right or wrong doesnt mean you absolve yourself of a conscience.

Noryb and Shinaoi like this.
  3. 65fastback2plus2

6,434 Messages
    6,171 Likes Received
    I've actually not brought up race once, but the system preys upon the poor, as which has been discussed in here that due to other social issues, often times is people of a certain color or class, but the color itself has nothing to do with it.

Dylan Noble was white and wrongfully killed just the same. The system doesnt care what color you are, only that it can extort you further.

Shinaoi likes this.
  4. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

18,051 Messages
    12,409 Likes Received
    The poor is where the most crime typically happens. Police go where the crime is or where it's likely to happen. Law enforcement as an institution isn't looking to extort poor people.

YR

5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Moderator

45,922 Messages
    23,531 Likes Received
    Correct. Not "unlicensed" cigarettes. Untaxed cigarettes. Meaning they do not carry a tax stamp. Huge illegal business. Folks drive from NYC to our part of New York State and buy large quantities of untaxed cigarettes (that are meant to only be sold to native Americans), take them back to NYC and resell them. Many trucks and such have been picked up between here & there.

Yakuza Rich and dogberry like this.
  6. 65fastback2plus2

6,434 Messages
    6,171 Likes Received
    The government MAKES UP the crime.

Did we not learn from prohibition?

Alcohol ok...little to no killing.
    Alcohol banned...tons of killing and mobsters.
    Alcohol ok again...little to no killing.

The average good American commits 3 felonies per day without even knowing it.

https://mic.com/articles/86797/8-ways-we-regularly-commit-felonies-without-realizing-it#.H2NYWcll1

Enjoy that article. I mean, we've had people arrested for feeding the hungry: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/man-90-arrested-week-feeding-homeless-article-1.2002790

Real crime is when someone's property or they themselves are physically harmed. Outside of that, we need to quit with the myriad of made up crimes for the purpose of extorting people.

Noryb likes this.
  7. toto1939

toto1939 Well-Known Member

830 Messages
    791 Likes Received
    And that's how it needs to return...don't give any of these pricks the opportunity to protest it (at least, not in front of the fans)

8. jwooten15

jwooten15 Well-Known Member

6,932 Messages
    16,060 Likes Received
    AMEN to this!

Very well said.

Theses protests aren't accomplishing any true change. There are measurable ways to go about effecting such change, but kneeling during the anthem/complaining in an interview isn't it.

Trouty likes this.
  9. jjtrcka22

jjtrcka22 Active Member

138 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    I wonder what the response would be if NFL players protested abortion, say after scoring a touchdown? Would they be applauded as courageously exercising their first amendment rights? I remember when a certain QB that played for the Broncos would take a knee in prayer, a lot of people tended to respond that his personal beliefs should not be put on display like that.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that everyone has many different issues that I am sure they would like to see addressed. What makes one issue more important than another? I guess we should just have nonstop protests at all of our workplaces until every issue in this nation is resolved how we all see fit (which will never happen, because everyone has different viewpoints on what is an actual issue and the right way to go about solving it).

zrinkill and jwooten15 like this.
  10. MichaelWinicki

45,922 Messages
    23,531 Likes Received
    Agreed.

OK, so the players are protesting this... What are they actively doing to help improve things? I mean if they feel that strongly about it, then lets see them support their convictions through action (other than resting on one knee during the anthem) that brings forth positive change.

11. jwooten15

6,932 Messages
    16,060 Likes Received
    Right! That QB was run out of the league because of his beliefs (and also that he couldn't play QB :laugh:).

It's just ironic that the NFL cherry picks causes that they allow players to protest/speak up on.

12. jwooten15

6,932 Messages
    16,060 Likes Received
    Just my opinion here. And I know it doesn't apply to all the "kneelers".

But, I think a lot of these guys enjoy giving off the perception that they care about supposed injustices, etc. But at the end of the day, other than kneeling and giving an interview condemning police and the President, they don't do anything to create change in this "broken system".

Nope. They go home in their $100k+ vehicle, to their multi-million $ home, and don't give the "issue" a second thought.

Now, if they wanted to take tangible steps, in the legal system or by starting an awareness campain, etc - great! Even if I disagree with their opinion on the matter, at least they're standing up, and doing something, about what they believe in.

13. MichaelWinicki

45,922 Messages
    23,531 Likes Received

THAT'S EXACTLY RIGHT!

They do it because it makes them look morally upright and they support the injustices to the less fortunate than themselves... And then what do they do?

jjtrcka22 and jwooten15 like this.
  14. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

11,852 Messages
    20,273 Likes Received
    Exactly. There are a dozen posters in this thread that have made the case for the issue better than Kaepernick ever did, even if I disagree with them. Kaepernick has been national news for a year and still hasn't made any kind of coherent argument.

Kaepernick made 43 Million dollars before this stuff started without ever giving a penny to victims or advocacy groups. Its all "Look at Me" self indulgence that is counterproductive to addressing the real issues.

And Kaepernick could have had several jobs in the NFL this year if he was willing to work for the "insulting" rate of 1 Million dollars. He won't, because he would rather babble incoherently than make the money and donate it to the cause.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    jwooten15 likes this.
  15. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

9,820 Messages
    11,893 Likes Received

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  16. Yakuza Rich

18,051 Messages
    12,409 Likes Received
    They are protests built on false pretenses. That is why the protests won't accomplish anything.

There are undoubtedly people in law enforcement that are racist. There are undoubtedly people in law enforcement that break the law in the name of race.

Nobody here has denied that.

But, the idea that law enforcement, nationwide, is practicing institutional racism is a farce. And the idea that the unjust, illegal murders of blacks from cops is so widespread that it should be a top priority that would help blacks in this country is very bad prioritization of helping resolve the plight of black people in this country.

I saw on Sunday Night Football they were trying to brag about how the Dolphins players who protested got a meeting set forth where cops were getting to meet with inner city children and one of the children said that the only time she ever sees cops is when they come to arrest her dad. What the Dolphins and NBC miss out on is that the cops were all for getting together with people from the community. Cops don't want to be at war with the entire community. But they also fail to see the point that even getting together with the community does not mean that this girl's father will stop getting arrested. And that's the far bigger issue here.

YR

Robbieac, Nightman, TINGS21 and 2 others like this.
  17. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

11,852 Messages
    20,273 Likes Received
    The system is set up to avoid Type II error. For every Philip Castile case where the burden of proof on a cop isn't met, there are 20 cases where a gang banger walks after murdering someone. That doesn't make it institutional racism.

A woman named Justin Damond was shot and killed by a cop who fired from inside his vehicle (across his partner) without any apparent justification. I'm sure you will follow that case and let us know how institutional racism protects that racist cop.

18. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

31,331 Messages
    21,580 Likes Received
    Ali vs Frazier is the most famous fight in US boxing history and you want to claim that it was unsuccessful. Then you use the dishonest metric of crowd size to measure its success when it was the largest TV spectacle of its time. More people watched it than the moon landing.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Joe_Frazier_vs._Muhammad_Ali_(1st_meeting)

And you have the gall to call me a liar.

Human rights are a political issue and its been that way since the magna carta. Locke talks about them extensively in his two treatise on government and then of course there is the bill of rights and the 14th amendment. The 900 lbs gorilla that you are being obtuse to was the political reality of segregation that was plaguing the US in the 40s and 50s. The stated goal of the civil rights movement was the end of segregation. Brown vs the Board of Education and the Civil Rights Act came in Robinson's wake.

And the stated goal of the GOP was the end of the oppression of African and asserting that their was not a political divide between the north and south over the issue of race since before the Civil War is just ignorant. The people that were for racial equality were called radical republicans. Even if that was not the case seeking to change the policy of a government and institute racial equality is a political aim whether or not a political party is involved.

Nation states must be entertainment!

Further when you look at how nations sponsor their games as host and teams every year it becomes obvious the link between the Olympic Games and politics.

People found those abhorrent because the games were to promote peace. And the 1936 games were political out the wazoo considering how Hitler used it to promote his regime. You keep saying that because the games are centered around peace that it cannot be political. That is nonsense. There have been peace parties and movements forever.

You completely dropped the use of sports by the Roman and Byzantine Emperors to great effect.

Trouty likes this.
  19. Yakuza Rich

18,051 Messages
    12,409 Likes Received
    I never claimed it was unsuccessful. I'm saying that it didn't draw more people to the sport. And I'm also saying it wasn't the biggest event in boxing history.

Back in the days of Dempsey or Louis vs. Schmeling, we didn't have TV's. However, it was the largest audience for a single radio broadcast.

So again...you're wrong.

Calling you out for being wrong versus calling you a liar are two different things. Just like you claimed that my dad was a football coach (wrong) or that I rooted for Frazier against Ali (wrong) and the numerous other things you have been so wrong on that it crushes your credibility.

YR

20. Trouty

Trouty Kellen Moore baby Zone Supporter

31,539 Messages
    80,519 Likes Received
    Isn't kneeling "an action"? Hell, it even has the president talking, and it's leader out of a job. That's action to me. Said player also donated a million bucks to his cause. That's action. One of the biggest platforms in the world, the NFL, and these players are kneeling front and center. That's pretty huge.

Disappointing post, Mike. Whether you care or not. Just disappointing to read that from you.

I'm not a political person -- but if I had to pick -- I'm all aboard Noam Chomsky's train (socio-anarchy). When the sky is blue, it's blue. These dude's are taking a stance. A stance that is full of substance for their views.

It is what it is, fellas. Sorry.

dreghorn2 and Noryb like this.