Why is the NFL committing suicide?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I don't think this whole affair will destroy the NFL but it has a very good chance to damage it for a long time. The NFL is too big to be destroyed quickly by anything but you add this to the concussion issue with many parents not letting their kids play football anymore and the future looks cloudy at best. Personally, this weekend killed the NFL for me. I said NFL, not the Cowboys. For the time being, I will still watch and support my team because they have yet to give in to this foolishness but the thrill of the NFL in general is dead. I can't get excited to watch any other games. Watching other teams play, it might as well be East Tennessee State vs James Madison. Who cares!!!!! There's no Sunday Ticket in my house this year for the first time ever and there won't be a single penny spent on anything NFL related except whatever portion they get from my Directv bill every month. I'm not dumb and I realize I'll likely be back when all of this is done but I have no idea if I'll ever feel the same way about the NFL as I have for the past 30 years.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Why wouldn't America's team?

And Fuzzy I'm not saying ratings are down or anything but like some others I'm starting to hear some people turn away just because of these. And I suspect, just have to think in our extreme polarized world right now that someone is going to counter protest. If they are successful,it will really get interesting.

I see no evidence of that actually taking place. I've seen people getting mad at their team or the NFL and burning jerseys and tickets for years. Nothing ever comes of it and at the end of the day most people are going to sit down and watch the games on Sunday and Monday.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I don't think this whole affair will destroy the NFL but it has a very good chance to damage it for a long time. The NFL is too big to be destroyed quickly by anything but you add this to the concussion issue with many parents not letting their kids play football anymore and the future looks cloudy at best. Personally, this weekend killed the NFL for me. I said NFL, not the Cowboys. For the time being, I will still watch and support my team because they have yet to give in to this foolishness but the thrill of the NFL in general is dead. I can't get excited to watch any other games. Watching other teams play, it might as well be East Tennessee State vs James Madison. Who cares!!!!! There's no Sunday Ticket in my house this year for the first time ever and there won't be a single penny spent on anything NFL related except whatever portion they get from my Directv bill every month. I'm not dumb and I realize I'll likely be back when all of this is done but I have no idea if I'll ever feel the same way about the NFL as I have for the past 30 years.

You act like there are not people who support what they are saying and are going to tune in because of it particularly amongst millennials. This board is predominantly white men 30 and over from Texas and is not representative of the nation.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
You act like there are not people who support what they are saying and are going to tune in because of it particularly amongst millennials. This board is predominantly white men 30 and over from Texas and is not representative of the nation.

Fine, let the professional victims and protesters buy all the tickets and merchandise. I'm sure their parents will lend them whatever money they need.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Fine, let the professional victims and protesters buy all the tickets and merchandise. I'm sure their parents will lend them whatever money they need.

Does making up stories about your political opponents make you feel better or something?

Do you disagree with the following seeing that this is what they are protesting for:

Police enjoy extra rights over the public that protect them from investigation and prosecution.
The standards for use of force need to be reformed.
Police do not receive near enough training.
There is an inherent conflict of interest in how police investigations and prosecutions are normally conducted.
Police policies like stop and frisk and broken windows are ineffective and disproportionately target minorities.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I see no evidence of that actually taking place. I've seen people getting mad at their team or the NFL and burning jerseys and tickets for years. Nothing ever comes of it and at the end of the day most people are going to sit down and watch the games on Sunday and Monday.
The ratings are down across the board and they are down even more from last year's drop

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...v-ratings-sunday-nfl-games-compared-last-year
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...v-ratings-sunday-nfl-games-compared-last-year
CBS said its national games, which featured the Green Bay Packers' 27-24 win over the Cincinnati Bengals and the Kansas City Chiefs' 24-10 win over the Los Angeles Chargers, were down 1 percent in the overnight ratings as compared to its Week 3 national games for the 2016 season.

Fox's game, which featured the New York Giants against the Philadelphia Eagles in many markets, was down 16 percent, compared to Week 3 of last season, which featured the Giants playing the Washington Commanders.

Sunday Night Football's decline was more drastic, as Sunday's game between the Commanders and the Oakland Raiders was the lowest-rated Week 3 game, from metered markets, since 2006.

Ratings for the game were down 9 percent versus last week (Packers-Falcons) and 11 percent versus last year's Week 3 game.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The ratings are down across the board and they are down even more from last year's drop

CBS said its national games, which featured the Green Bay Packers' 27-24 win over the Cincinnati Bengals and the Kansas City Chiefs' 24-10 win over the Los Angeles Chargers, were down 1 percent in the overnight ratings as compared to its Week 3 national games for the 2016 season.

Fox's game, which featured the New York Giants against the Philadelphia Eagles in many markets, was down 16 percent, compared to Week 3 of last season, which featured the Giants playing the Washington Commanders.

Sunday Night Football's decline was more drastic, as Sunday's game between the Commanders and the Oakland Raiders was the lowest-rated Week 3 game, from metered markets, since 2006.

Ratings for the game were down 9 percent versus last week (Packers-Falcons) and 11 percent versus last year's Week 3 game.

I've addressed this in this thread already.

This will be hard to explain for the people who complain about NFL protests and like to take credit for the drop in the league’s television ratings: With more protests and demonstrations in Week 3 than any other week in NFL history, ratings were up.

CBS, which had the doubleheader on Sunday, reported an increase with a huge spike for its pregame show.

Overall ratings will likely be up from last season once the Dallas Cowboys play the Arizona Cardinals on “Monday Night Football.” The Cowboys are regularly the biggest ratings draw the sport has. This is from John Ourand of Sports Business Journal and Michael Mulvihill, the senior vice president for programming and research at Fox Sports:

The ratings dip was always overblown. The NFL destroys every other sport in television ratings. Percentages might have been down for a couple weeks, but the NFL had set such a high bar that it was a prisoner of its own success when comparing ratings to previous years.

And for the notion that college football was taking over the NFL’s turf, well …

https://sports.yahoo.com/cbs-rating...gs-whole-expected-see-increase-154216596.html

I guess there is always hope but what this is really doing is drawing the attention of people who would not otherwise be engaged. Millennials in particular are big on egalitarian spirit and anti establishment. The NFL has been trying to curt them for years. Data shows that older men don't change their habits.

Your stats do not consider the increase of online streaming or the decline in television viewership overall nor do they consider the NFLs place in the landscape. Cherrypicking poorly viewed games is cute though.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Does making up stories about your political opponents make you feel better or something?

Do you disagree with the following seeing that this is what they are protesting for:

Police enjoy extra rights over the public that protect them from investigation and prosecution.
The standards for use of force need to be reformed.
Police do not receive near enough training.
There is an inherent conflict of interest in how police investigations and prosecutions are normally conducted.
Police policies like stop and frisk and broken windows are ineffective and disproportionately target minorities.

I don't agree or disagree with any of it at this point. Once you kneel or sit for the anthem, I don't give a crap what your original complaint was. The anthem and having respect for the flag have nothing to do with any of those things. 98% of the discussion is now about things other than the original complaints. All anyone talks about is will Kap ever play again, who did and didn't kneel, who said what, what did the president tweet, and so on. When your method of protesting overtakes the underlying issue, you have made a mistake. Its just like all the riots and looting. That becomes the story and the reason people were upset gets discarded and quickly forgotten. There are proper ways to do things and what went on yesterday isn't one of them.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I've addressed this in this thread already.

Your stats do not consider the increase of online streaming or the decline in viewership overall. Cherrypicking poorly viewed games is cute though.
Down is down holmes....... nice try though

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I don't agree or disagree with any of it at this point. Once you kneel or sit for the anthem, I don't give a crap what your original complaint was. The anthem and having respect for the flag have nothing to do with any of those things. 98% of the discussion is now about things other than the original complaints. All anyone talks about is will Kap ever play again, who did and didn't kneel, who said what, what did the president tweet, and so on. When your method of protesting overtakes the underlying issue, you have made a mistake. Its just like all the riots and looting. That becomes the story and the reason people were upset gets discarded and quickly forgotten. There are proper ways to do things and what went on yesterday isn't one of them.

So sitting at the national anthem is just like rioting and looting. Got it. :rolleyes:

Cowboys22

Reaction score
So sitting at the national anthem is just like rioting and looting. Got it. :rolleyes:

It has had the same result. The underlying issues are not being discussed. The only thing being talked about is the manner of the protesting and people's reaction to it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Down is down holmes....... nice try though

Statistics without context are worthless and the stats for this week after tonight's Cowboys game will be up. Nice blanket dismissal though.

That the stats don't include online data or TV viewership trending subsumes your argument. Unless you can prove that the decrease is less than the proportion of overall decline you cannot point to any cause. It is what it is.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Statistics without context are worthless and the stats for this week after tonight's Cowboys game will be up. Nice blanket dismissal though.

That the stats don't include online data or TV viewership trending subsumes your argument. Unless you can prove that the decrease is less than the proportion of overall decline you cannot point to any cause. It is what it is.
Fuzzy grasping for straws

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It has had the same result. The underlying issues are not being discussed. The only thing being talked about is the manner of the protesting and people's reaction to it.

Actually the issues are being discussed nationally. How you guys carry on in your information bubbles is besides the point.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Fuzzy grasping for straws

I like how you are hand waving at incomplete statistics that do not include the NFL's biggest draw. Don't worry, I will rub your face in the final stats when they come out over the next 24 hours.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Actually the issues are being discussed nationally. How you guys carry on in your information bubbles is besides the point.

Talk about information bubbles. They aren't being talked about during the games or on sports talk radio across the country. I hardly call them information bubbles.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Its called a natural right. John Locke is the one who wrote mostly about it which is where our Constitution is derived heavily from.
Our Constitution is also heavily derived from the Magna Carta, but that hardly makes the Magna Carta legally binding in America.
Our rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are patterned after Locke's rights to life, liberty and property.

My right is to my person and my belongings. And to do with them as I wish.

So, you're wrong. There is a serious institute that stated this...the United States Constitution.
You are either being incredibly obtuse or you simply have no clue what you are talking about. There is nothing in the Constitution (nor is there any interpretation thereof) which refers to a completely unfettered right to sell anything and everything without regulation, laws, permitting process, etc.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Our Constitution is also heavily derived from the Magna Carta, but that hardly makes the Magna Carta legally binding in America.
You are either being incredibly obtuse or you simply have no clue what you are talking about. There is nothing in the Constitution (nor is there any interpretation thereof) which refers to a completely unfettered right to sell anything and everything without regulation, laws, permitting process, etc.

Doesnt have to be because its a natural right. There is a reason the founders had a HUGE argument over listing any rights in the constitution at all. Their argument? If we make a partial list, people will try to claim its an exhaustive list.

This is why the bill of rights were excluded from the constitution and added as amendments shortly after the constitution was ratified.

So in other words, the founders KNEW you would claim "But theres nothing in there about this"...and specifically wrote it as such that it didnt need to be in there to be a fact.

So...you can call this obtuse or no clue, I'll call it fully educated.

chargrove

Reaction score
it boils down to this for me: watching football is a way to divert from real world problems. if a bunch of overpaid, fevered ego prima donnas wish to infect it with their grubby, mundane creed, then to hell with them who cares I'll go fly a kite.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or you could devote some introspection to how you spend so much time seeking information that justifies your views.

Disgusting.

"Oh I don't hate black folks it's just that ..."

Good Lord. You are the prototypical modern racist. (Note: I'm not calling you a racist, just noting that most fields in the social sciences have had your number for 30+years)

That's where you're completely wrong.

I have legit concerns about black kids that have to grow up surrounded by nonsense. I'm genuinely interested in how the situation can be resolved. The answer is unequivocally not pointing fingers at the police.

It is people like your hero Kaepernick that I'm against not the black kids whose surroundings limit their probability for success and increase their chances of death at at young age. Those kids didn't choose that life. The community that surrounds them chooses their life for them. Right now kids are being brain-washed about this Police issue.

Keapernick is a moron and I'm a moron-ist not a race-ist.

People like you and Kaepernick make the situation worse, not better.

Nobody puts effort into this issue because people like you immediately claim racist. You can't debate the issue on facts so you claim people that don't agree with you are racist.

The black kid in the hood could have a bright future but people like you and Kaepernick teach them to focus on hate and blaming other people.

The opportunities are available in this country. I bought, remodeled and sold houses for several years. The workers in that industry are predominantly hispanic. Many of them came here with literally nothing. No possessions, money or education and they didn't speak the language. Most of them now lead a middle class lifestyle and many have their own businesses now. Their kids don't live in high crime, high poverty areas. Meanwhile the black kid in the hood does grow up in high crime high poverty areas. The reason this happens is that people like you and Kaepernick convinced that kid's parents to focus on blaming the police,the government, etc. for their problems and told them their lives are hopeless.

Last edited: