Why is the NFL committing suicide?

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by Killerinstinct, Sep 23, 2017.

1. shabazz

shabazz Well-Known Member

1,549 Messages
    2,443 Likes Received
    From what I am seeing and hearing it will be an unofficial boycott as people will no longer renew season tickets all the way to refusing to buy nfl memorabilia. I'm seeing it already from lifelong Steelers fans. This may play out ok in San Fran, Seattle and Oakland but middle America will drop off of this league in mass.

There are 2 principles that can't be denied; 1) players will protest and 2) some fans will reject the product.

2. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

8,288 Messages
    7,624 Likes Received
    I don't think this whole affair will destroy the NFL but it has a very good chance to damage it for a long time. The NFL is too big to be destroyed quickly by anything but you add this to the concussion issue with many parents not letting their kids play football anymore and the future looks cloudy at best. Personally, this weekend killed the NFL for me. I said NFL, not the Cowboys. For the time being, I will still watch and support my team because they have yet to give in to this foolishness but the thrill of the NFL in general is dead. I can't get excited to watch any other games. Watching other teams play, it might as well be East Tennessee State vs James Madison. Who cares!!!!! There's no Sunday Ticket in my house this year for the first time ever and there won't be a single penny spent on anything NFL related except whatever portion they get from my Directv bill every month. I'm not dumb and I realize I'll likely be back when all of this is done but I have no idea if I'll ever feel the same way about the NFL as I have for the past 30 years.

Kaiser likes this.
  3. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

30,619 Messages
    20,676 Likes Received
    I see no evidence of that actually taking place. I've seen people getting mad at their team or the NFL and burning jerseys and tickets for years. Nothing ever comes of it and at the end of the day most people are going to sit down and watch the games on Sunday and Monday.

4. FuzzyLumpkins

30,619 Messages
    20,676 Likes Received
    You act like there are not people who support what they are saying and are going to tune in because of it particularly amongst millennials. This board is predominantly white men 30 and over from Texas and is not representative of the nation.

5. Cowboys22

8,288 Messages
    7,624 Likes Received
    Fine, let the professional victims and protesters buy all the tickets and merchandise. I'm sure their parents will lend them whatever money they need.

6. FuzzyLumpkins

30,619 Messages
    20,676 Likes Received
    Does making up stories about your political opponents make you feel better or something?

Do you disagree with the following seeing that this is what they are protesting for:

Police enjoy extra rights over the public that protect them from investigation and prosecution.
    The standards for use of force need to be reformed.
    Police do not receive near enough training.
    There is an inherent conflict of interest in how police investigations and prosecutions are normally conducted.
    Police policies like stop and frisk and broken windows are ineffective and disproportionately target minorities.

65fastback2plus2 and arglebargle like this.
  7. Nightman

Nightman Capologist

27,135 Messages
    24,059 Likes Received
    The ratings are down across the board and they are down even more from last year's drop

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...v-ratings-sunday-nfl-games-compared-last-year

CBS said its national games, which featured the Green Bay Packers' 27-24 win over the Cincinnati Bengals and the Kansas City Chiefs' 24-10 win over the Los Angeles Chargers, were down 1 percent in the overnight ratings as compared to its Week 3 national games for the 2016 season.

Fox's game, which featured the New York Giants against the Philadelphia Eagles in many markets, was down 16 percent, compared to Week 3 of last season, which featured the Giants playing the Washington Redskins.

Sunday Night Football's decline was more drastic, as Sunday's game between the Redskins and the Oakland Raiders was the lowest-rated Week 3 game, from metered markets, since 2006.

Ratings for the game were down 9 percent versus last week (Packers-Falcons) and 11 percent versus last year's Week 3 game.

8. FuzzyLumpkins

30,619 Messages
    20,676 Likes Received
    I've addressed this in this thread already.

Your stats do not consider the increase of online streaming or the decline in television viewership overall nor do they consider the NFLs place in the landscape. Cherrypicking poorly viewed games is cute though.

9. Cowboys22

8,288 Messages
    7,624 Likes Received
    I don't agree or disagree with any of it at this point. Once you kneel or sit for the anthem, I don't give a crap what your original complaint was. The anthem and having respect for the flag have nothing to do with any of those things. 98% of the discussion is now about things other than the original complaints. All anyone talks about is will Kap ever play again, who did and didn't kneel, who said what, what did the president tweet, and so on. When your method of protesting overtakes the underlying issue, you have made a mistake. Its just like all the riots and looting. That becomes the story and the reason people were upset gets discarded and quickly forgotten. There are proper ways to do things and what went on yesterday isn't one of them.

10. Nightman

Nightman Capologist

27,135 Messages
    24,059 Likes Received
    Down is down holmes....... nice try though

11. FuzzyLumpkins

30,619 Messages
    20,676 Likes Received
    So sitting at the national anthem is just like rioting and looting. Got it. :rolleyes:

12. Cowboys22

8,288 Messages
    7,624 Likes Received
    It has had the same result. The underlying issues are not being discussed. The only thing being talked about is the manner of the protesting and people's reaction to it.

13. FuzzyLumpkins

30,619 Messages
    20,676 Likes Received
    Statistics without context are worthless and the stats for this week after tonight's Cowboys game will be up. Nice blanket dismissal though.

That the stats don't include online data or TV viewership trending subsumes your argument. Unless you can prove that the decrease is less than the proportion of overall decline you cannot point to any cause. It is what it is.

14. Nightman

Nightman Capologist

27,135 Messages
    24,059 Likes Received
    Fuzzy grasping for straws

Kaiser likes this.
  15. FuzzyLumpkins

30,619 Messages
    20,676 Likes Received
    Actually the issues are being discussed nationally. How you guys carry on in your information bubbles is besides the point.

16. FuzzyLumpkins

30,619 Messages
    20,676 Likes Received
    I like how you are hand waving at incomplete statistics that do not include the NFL's biggest draw. Don't worry, I will rub your face in the final stats when they come out over the next 24 hours.

17. Cowboys22

8,288 Messages
    7,624 Likes Received
    Talk about information bubbles. They aren't being talked about during the games or on sports talk radio across the country. I hardly call them information bubbles.

18. Ghost12

Ghost12 Well-Known Member

617 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    Our Constitution is also heavily derived from the Magna Carta, but that hardly makes the Magna Carta legally binding in America.
    You are either being incredibly obtuse or you simply have no clue what you are talking about. There is nothing in the Constitution (nor is there any interpretation thereof) which refers to a completely unfettered right to sell anything and everything without regulation, laws, permitting process, etc.

19. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

6,293 Messages
    5,879 Likes Received
    Doesnt have to be because its a natural right. There is a reason the founders had a HUGE argument over listing any rights in the constitution at all. Their argument? If we make a partial list, people will try to claim its an exhaustive list.

This is why the bill of rights were excluded from the constitution and added as amendments shortly after the constitution was ratified.

So in other words, the founders KNEW you would claim "But theres nothing in there about this"...and specifically wrote it as such that it didnt need to be in there to be a fact.

So...you can call this obtuse or no clue, I'll call it fully educated.

20. chargrove

chargrove Member

611 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    it boils down to this for me: watching football is a way to divert from real world problems. if a bunch of overpaid, fevered ego prima donnas wish to infect it with their grubby, mundane creed, then to hell with them who cares I'll go fly a kite.