Why isn't Darius Leonard signed yet?

_sturt_

Reaction score
Maybe he wants more than the league minimum?
As I understand it, the NFL works like the NBA does on this... Leonard cannot earn anything greater than what he was making from the Colts, and they will be on the hook for the difference between the amount his new team pays and the $6m (?) he was making (since he made it thru waivers).

So, there's actually no motivation for the new team to pay anything more than the vet minimum, nor for him to seek anything more than that.

What there could be, though, is the prospect of a multi-year contract, and with that, some bidding on what teams would be willing to guarantee next season. That sounds more likely than not.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
As I understand it, the NFL works like the NBA does on this... Leonard cannot earn anything greater than what he was making from the Colts, and they will be on the hook for the difference between the amount his new team pays and the $6m (?) he was making (since he made it thru waivers).

So, there's actually no motivation for the new team to pay anything more than the vet minimum, nor for him to seek anything more than that.

What there could be, though, is the prospect of a multi-year contract, and with that, some bidding on what teams would be willing to guarantee next season. That sounds more likely than not.
Good insight!
Thanks for sharing.

Praxit

Reaction score
1. He hasn't visited yet.
2. Can he play in this league any more?
3. Medical concerns?
4. Asking too much $?

Did I miss anything???
character? Although seeing him in interview couple days ago. He seems like legit, likable person.

Kwyn

Reaction score
character? Although seeing him in interview couple days ago. He seems like legit, likable person.
The “character” concerns are that a guy who was on a HOF trajectory had several injury setbacks and wasn’t happy being demoted twice and benched.

It’s not like he destroyed the locker room or had domestic violence issues.

The Colts players did and still do, love him

conner01

Reaction score

Exactly. It won’t be about money. Just where he thinks he fits best, has a shot at a SB and maybe a future cobtract