Why isn't Darius Leonard signed yet?

Kwyn

Reaction score
As I understand it, the NFL works like the NBA does on this... Leonard cannot earn anything greater than what he was making from the Colts, and they will be on the hook for the difference between the amount his new team pays and the $6m (?) he was making (since he made it thru waivers).

So, there's actually no motivation for the new team to pay anything more than the vet minimum, nor for him to seek anything more than that.

What there could be, though, is the prospect of a multi-year contract, and with that, some bidding on what teams would be willing to guarantee next season. That sounds more likely than not.
Or playing time.

He’s looking to reset his future opportunity.

Sure, if someone offers him another year he’d be crazy not to take it but I think he’s looking for fit and opportunity to prove himself

conner01

Reaction score
The “character” concerns are that a guy who was on a HOF trajectory had several injury setbacks and wasn’t happy being demoted twice and benched.

It’s not like he destroyed the locker room or had domestic violence issues.

The Colts players did and still do, love him
Don’t think character is an issue. Really just about his health.

conner01

Reaction score
Or playing time.

He’s looking to reset his future opportunity.

Sure, if someone offers him another year he’d be crazy not to take it but I think he’s looking for fit and opportunity to prove himself
Don’t think anyone will offer him another year since that would mean changing his contract. It’s really about which team is most likely to offer him a new deal after the season and playing time to show he can still play

conner01

Reaction score
Supposed to be a good locker room guy
From what I have gathered.
He appeared to play scared to me this year. It’s a big nental part of coming back from a serious injury. But being cut might build a fire in him to get past that. He has major talent when healthy

CCBoy

Reaction score
He appeared to play scared to me this year. It’s a big nental part of coming back from a serious injury. But being cut might build a fire in him to get past that. He has major talent when healthy
I trust him as a dependable linebacker. Long arms are an asset. He is interactive and instinctively attacks on multiple was in defense of the run. He will be an asset and grow back to a strong level in this Dallas directed defensive scheme. I see this as a strong 2 year defensive move.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
for sure interested in him like a few teams are. Starting lb and Lb depth is a need now and a big need for the draft next year I feel.

Motorola

Reaction score

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
HE's calling the shots.

I doubt he goes for a huge payday. I think he looks for the best path toward a ring

_sturt_

Reaction score
Don’t think anyone will offer him another year since that would mean changing his contract.
That's not an issue. The contract he had w/ Colts is past tense and done. They owe him the rest of his money by choosing to let him go, and the fact no one plucked him off the waiver wire (... which would have meant that team would have taken over the previous contract, of course).

His situation is something like what OBJ had last year about this time... and just as OBJ was lobbying for something longer term, it makes similar sense for Leonard to pursue that unless he's just that persuaded he can make such an impression in the last 1/3 of the season he'll make a lot of money in free agency.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
If you would’ve looked you would have seen he is scheduled to visit tomorrow. If he’s got a nerve problem you don’t sign him there’s nothing to mess up.

Bro this and the weekly Lance posts about why not play him having to explain over and over again the rules? Dude you gotta pay more attention to things.