Video: Why Jourdan Lewis Should Be Starting

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He makes one pick on an easy ball thrown right to him & everyone is clamoring for him to start. He makes plays. He's a playmaker.... LOL.

Next play that he gets beat on everyone will say that he sucks.

Sorry I trust the coaches who see these players day in and day out over any football genius on the internet.
Go watch the end of 2017, 2018, and this year. Once you do that come back and tell us what you think

EJK24

Reaction score
Go watch the end of 2017, 2018, and this year. Once you do that come back and tell us what you think

I gotta agree with Hennessy. He doesnt play a bunch so he doesnt get as many chances as a starter but I bet you when he picked off Brees last year there wasnt anyone questioning if he should be playing.

Number1

Reaction score
where Lewis will shine is an up versus RBs and non-speed WRs like Cobb
Since Jourdan Lewis has been burned approximately 0 times this year I'm going to disagree with you. He did a pretty good job covering Kamara who's pretty fast.

when was the last time you saw him man up deep in coverage?

Number1

Reaction score
That's a monster of a difference.

yep, its over 3 steps in a 20y open field race to the ball ... toast

say what you will about the combine but, 40 times and 20-40 splits

Amari

Jordan

Amari has rare sub 1.80 deep speed, so does Austin 1.78, Smith 1.82, Gallup 1.83, ... Dez 1.90
our WRs are blazing fast :)

Brown is faster than Amari, real sub 4.3 speed. Awuzie 1.86. IMO, Jones has step on Chido

I played CB with 4.5 speed, I could run with Dez or Twill, maybe guys like Pollard ... but sub 1.85 deep speed - NO
w/o a pass rush or deep help ... it was hope for an under throw time

it may sound crazy but I'd rather Jones, Brown, and Awuzie where they are - even though they can't catch a football

and adios Jeff ... Jordan you're up - he reminds me of Bates and I want him lurking around passing lanes
but they don't listen to me

BTW, if Kris would teach his crew some ball skills we wouldn't be talking about this

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Amari

Jordan

Amari has rare sub 1.80 deep speed, so does Austin 1.78, Smith 1.82, Gallup 1.83, ... Dez 1.90

Brown is faster than Amari, real sub 4.3 speed. Awuzie 1.86. IMO, Jones has step on Chido

I played CB with 4.5 speed, I could run with Dez or Twill, maybe guys like Pollard ... but sub 1.85 deep speed - NO

it may sound crazy but I'd rather Jones, Brown, and Awuzie where they are - even though they can't catch a football

and adios Jeff ... Jordan you're up - he reminds me of Bates and I want him lurking around passing lanes

BTW, if Kris would teach his crew some ball skills we wouldn't be talking about this
This aint madden. When he starts getting torched on the outside like chido then we'll talk

quickccc

Reaction score
I gotta agree with Hennessy. He doesnt play a bunch so he doesnt get as many chances as a starter but I bet you when he picked off Brees last year there wasnt anyone questioning if he should be playing.

playing ... or "starting" ? o_O

quickccc

Reaction score

Amari

Jordan

I'm not as interested in pre-draft numbers and workouts. that only means anything if those workouts can translate to the playing field.
there has been a horde of stand out athletes that simply cannot play the game when it counts.

Orlando Scandrick and Anthony Brown were 4.3 speed, but neither one had a clue when it came to getting their heads turned around to play the ball.
and Scandrick had zero ball hawk skills and INT hands.
Awuzie isn't far behind, as he is supposedly a 4.4 guy that still has no clue of getting his head turned around in position to make a play on the ball in air.
Why is this a continuing problem, regardless of who the DB coach is ? :confused:

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm not as interested in pre-draft numbers and workouts. that only means anything if those workouts can translate to the playing field.
there has been a horde of stand out athletes that simply cannot play the game when it counts.

Orlando Scandrick and Anthony Brown were 4.3 speed, but neither one had a clue when it came to getting their heads turned around to play the ball.
Awuzie isn't far behind, as he is supposedly a 4.4 guy that still has no clue of getting his head turned around in position to make a play on the ball in air.
Why is this a continuing problem, regardless of who the DB coach is ? :confused:
It was in their scouting reports. We ignored it.

Awuzie should most likely be at slot CB or S. He lacks long speed, and that info was easily found. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice talent to have, but we're once again failing to put players in the best situation to succeed. This is an ongoing problem.

EJK24

Reaction score
playing ... or "starting" ? o_O

That's a fair question, however, if you make Lewis the nickel corner instead of Anthony Brown, he essentially would be on the field almost the whole game. Maybe you would know this better then me, but I think most offenses are running 3 wide receiver sets more then they are anything else. To me, Lewis should take over for Anthony Brown and be the third corner on the field alot of the game.

I understand the numbers/measurables that people refer to, but to me, some guys just have a way of getting the job done regardless of these numbers. Anthony Brown has the speed you would like to see but I think the biggest thing this secondary has struggled with is taking the ball away. Lewis has at least shown that he can make plays on the ball when the opportunities present themselves.

quickccc

Reaction score
It was in their scouting reports. We ignored it.

Awuzie should most likely be at slot CB or S. He lacks long speed, and that info was easily found. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice talent to have, but we're once again failing to put players in the best situation to succeed. This is an ongoing problem.

- frankly, I do not want anyone who does not have ball hawk skills at safety. we tried that with Byron, and we are trying to gain INTs and big plays, not lessen it.
and that's although the more reason why I don't want to think of the thought of moving Awuzie to safety.
Lack of ball hawk skills is already still haunting Byron Jones, (as it is most of our DBs) and he's easily our best man coverage CB.

- I've said before that I think Awuzie may work best in a zone defense that requires him to play off the line and much more in zone coverages where he can better keep his man in front of him, and he can drive forward on the ball and his man, if he is caught more in an even- steven press jam situations, he wont dare turnhis head and make a play on the ball in flight. As this is his 3rd year- he hasn't progressed into a more formidable player and teams are really making it a prioriety to come after him in fly-go routes more and more to have a valid chance of gaining the long big play or big spot foul PI flag.

- I tend to disagree that Awuzie doesn't have long speed because he is usually right there in stride for stride with his WR but they tend to get the contested catch over him or he draws a flag because
he impeded the WR's with poor and handsy technique.

John813

Reaction score
The Brees pick wasn't great coverage. It was a poorly thrown ball thrown at Lewis feet. Lewis played 8 snaps last year vs the Saints and 10 snaps this year vs the Saints.

I'm all for playing him more but he is getting overrated here.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The Brees pick wasn't great coverage. It was a poorly thrown ball thrown at Lewis feet. Lewis played 8 snaps last year vs the Saints and 10 snaps this year vs the Saints.

I'm all for playing him more but he is getting overrated here.
Imagine your pass defense being ranked 19th with lewis sitting on the bench lol. Richard is a joke

Number1

Reaction score
This aint madden. When he starts getting torched on the outside like chido then we'll talk

reality check, he's being played outside by coaches' choice

he has to convince the coaches to start him ... or injury to the starters ... before that happens, if then
Brown would likely be moved outside and Lewis starts at SC

Jordan is a hell of a DB but starting outside long term is unlikely - that's what happens to 9 of 10 CBs with 4.5 peed

the scheme, sort of, these CBs play a bunch of inside out coverage,
keep in mind this is a unique 4-2 , it's designed to force QBs to throw late over the middle
which is why a LB or S is more likely to lead this unit INTs than a CB

still its weird ... to see so many CBs blow plays on the ball since Rod came to town