CFZ Why Kicker Is Conflicting

817Gill

Reaction score
Now obviously there’s nothing conflicting about needing to sign one. But for me the conflict comes with Maher and the remaining options.

The team signed a highly rated UDFA Kicker last year in Garibay and he was terrible. The team said they were targeting K’s in this years draft but the run started too early (Pats took one in round 4 I believe and a P in round 6). As much as I want a reliable K I’m not sure I would’ve taken a chance on a guy early day 3 since there’s no guarantee a rookie K is going to be able to handle it.

The two vets available in Crosby and Gould have shown clear signs of deterioration and are just a name going forward as they are old. Folk who should be released is also 38. As much as those names seem nice they aren’t real fixes especially past a year or so.

This is where the conflict comes in. With the lack of reliable options on the open market and the chance of disaster with a young guy, does Maher honestly become the best option?

For 17 weeks, Maher was one of the biggest bright spots on the team. He was top 5ish in percentage and by week 4/5 we could finally go take a bathroom break during a kick or XP. Money Maher actually was delivering.

We all know how it ended starting week 18 versus Washington. He went on an all time bad missed XP streak which concluded with him seeming to have the yips. Despite all that, if he was able to shake the late season swoon and you could guarantee me a pre-week 18 Maher I’d be good to go. 2022 Maher was the most reliable thing since prime Bailey here, up until week 18.

I know those missed XP’s are burnt in our minds. But do we feel that Maher gets a chance to at least prove he’s over the XP thing? If he is, he’s a top 5 kicker based on his pre-yip weeks which were basically all year. I’m not sure how I feel completely but am leaning to thinking he should at least get a TC/PS try.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now obviously there’s nothing conflicting about needing to sign one. But for me the conflict comes with Maher and the remaining options.

The team signed a highly rated UDFA Kicker last year in Garibay and he was terrible. The team said they were targeting K’s in this years draft but the run started too early (Pats took one in round 4 I believe and a P in round 6). As much as I want a reliable K I’m not sure I would’ve taken a chance on a guy early day 3 since there’s no guarantee a rookie K is going to be able to handle it.

The two vets available in Crosby and Gould have shown clear signs of deterioration and are just a name going forward as they are old. Folk who should be released is also 38. As much as those names seem nice they aren’t real fixes especially past a year or so.

This is where the conflict comes in. With the lack of reliable options on the open market and the chance of disaster with a young guy, does Maher honestly become the best option?

For 17 weeks, Maher was one of the biggest bright spots on the team. He was top 5ish in percentage and by week 4/5 we could finally go take a bathroom break during a kick or XP. Money Maher actually was delivering.

We all know how it ended starting week 18 versus Washington. He went on an all time bad missed XP streak which concluded with him seeming to have the yips. Despite all that, if he was able to shake the late season swoon then I’d love to have him back. 2022 Maher was the most reliable thing since prime Bailey here, up until week 18.

I know those missed XP’s are burnt in our minds. But do we feel that Maher gets a chance to at least prove he’s over the XP thing? If he is, he’s a top 5 kicker based on his pre-yip weeks which were basically all year. I’m not sure how I feel completely but am leaning to thinking he should at least get a TC/PS try.
I totally agree with you. Up until the late season disaster, Maher was arguably a Pro Bowl candidate, and one of this team’s most valuable contributors.

I still don’t know exactly what happened, but it’s interesting to note it corresponded to the league making a change to kick placement rules.

I don’t think Maher should be dismissed entirely.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Is Money Maher still available? No one else has picked him up? I hope no problem with bringing him back for training camp and preseason and see if he's gotten over his sudden end-of-season mental meltdown. Also, bring in another kicker or two as well to see who wins their summer competition.

Jipper

Reaction score
I totally agree with you. Up until the late season disaster, Maher was arguably a Pro Bowl candidate, and one of this team’s most valuable contributors.

I still don’t know exactly what happened, but it’s interesting to note it corresponded to the league making a change to kick placement rules.

I honestly think it was the rule change with the field marking - its far too coincidental that the issues started immediately after the rule change, and once he lost the mental edge it was done.

Give him a full offseason to adjust and build a new routine and I'd bet money he's back to mid season form

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Maher was a fluke. He had a great run but i think he’s just an inconsistent kicker. Unfortunately for us there isn’t much out there but that was scary what he did against the Bucs. He showed we can’t count on him in a must win game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I honestly think it was the rule change with the field marking - its far too coincidental that the issues started immediately after the rule change, and once he lost the mental edge it was done.

Give him a full offseason to adjust and build a new routine and I'd bet money he's back to mid season form
Here’s an article that explains things in great detail:

https://en.as.com/nfl/what-is-the-n...-cowboys-and-others-over-it-n/?outputType=amp

It definitely wasn’t mere coincidence, so I don’t know why Jerry and the Cowboys would be so quick to move on completely.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Lets not forget that before last year, we had previously moved on from him after his FG% dropped to the mid 60%. He then sat out an entire league year when he couldn't find an active roster despite bouncing around on several practice squads.

The inconstancy with this player is concerning in a position where you absolutely cannot have inconsistency and we should look to upgrade the position.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

He’s in his 30s though. He’s shown us what he is hasn’t he?

Jipper

Reaction score

https://en.as.com/nfl/what-is-the-n...-cowboys-and-others-over-it-n/?outputType=amp

It definitely wasn’t mere coincidence, so I don’t know why Jerry and the Cowboys would be so quick to move on completely.
Agreed but a lot of knee jerkers don't want to read and understand the reason for the issues.

I want to see training camp competition but Maher needs to be there and should be the favorite to start the comp

conner01

Reaction score

I think it messed with his head because elevating the ball could add distance but I don’t see it being much of a factor in accuracy
Other kickers adapted to it fairly quickly
I think it became mental for him. But he’s had all off season to get past it