CFZ Why Kicker Is Conflicting

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think he was clearly a different kicker last season before this rule change.
Even before last season he really wasn't this train wreck everyone made him out to be. Overall hes an 81% K on field goals and 95% on XPs. He really just had a 2019 season where he could not hit from 40+ yards out and was 5-13 from long distances. Since then he was 89% on FGs in 2021 and 90% in 2022. Very tough to find someone capable of that and do kickoff duties well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even before last season he really wasn't this train wreck everyone made him out to be. Overall hes an 81% K on field goals and 95% on XPs. He really just had a 2019 season where he could not hit from 40+ yards out and was 5-13 from long distances. Since then he was 89% on FGs in 2021 and 90% in 2022. Very tough to find someone capable of that and do kickoff duties well.
Or to be 3 for 3 from 60 yards.

I just don’t think you so quickly dismiss him.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Or to be 3 for 3 from 60 yards.

I just don’t think you so quickly dismiss him.
I'm with you. I'm not saying that he has to be the guy either, but I do think it's ridiculous how quickly people write him off. The odds of finding similar production elsewhere is slim unless they can land Gould. It sounds easier to find good kickers than it actually is.

Toro9

Reaction score
Now obviously there’s nothing conflicting about needing to sign one. But for me the conflict comes with Maher and the remaining options.

The team signed a highly rated UDFA Kicker last year in Garibay and he was terrible. The team said they were targeting K’s in this years draft but the run started too early (Pats took one in round 4 I believe and a P in round 6). As much as I want a reliable K I’m not sure I would’ve taken a chance on a guy early day 3 since there’s no guarantee a rookie K is going to be able to handle it.

The two vets available in Crosby and Gould have shown clear signs of deterioration and are just a name going forward as they are old. Folk who should be released is also 38. As much as those names seem nice they aren’t real fixes especially past a year or so.

This is where the conflict comes in. With the lack of reliable options on the open market and the chance of disaster with a young guy, does Maher honestly become the best option?

For 17 weeks, Maher was one of the biggest bright spots on the team. He was top 5ish in percentage and by week 4/5 we could finally go take a bathroom break during a kick or XP. Money Maher actually was delivering.

We all know how it ended starting week 18 versus Washington. He went on an all time bad missed XP streak which concluded with him seeming to have the yips. Despite all that, if he was able to shake the late season swoon and you could guarantee me a pre-week 18 Maher I’d be good to go. 2022 Maher was the most reliable thing since prime Bailey here, up until week 18.

I know those missed XP’s are burnt in our minds. But do we feel that Maher gets a chance to at least prove he’s over the XP thing? If he is, he’s a top 5 kicker based on his pre-yip weeks which were basically all year. I’m not sure how I feel completely but am leaning to thinking he should at least get a TC/PS try.
Wouldn't be surprised at all, at this point, if Maher is re-signed. Was hoping they'd find a collegiate prospect but that seems unlikely until TC.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Maher or Gould for one year
The Cowboys don’t trust Maher. He was money through most of the season then couldn’t make a PAT to save his life. It forced the team to bring in competition heading into the playoffs. We’re clearly looking for other options.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yup and up until the very end of last season he was playing awesome to the point that many of us felt we had finally solved the issue at kicker
He's been here two years. He sucked the first time he was here.....second year he looked good and had one of the worst performances I've ever seen by a kicker in the playoffs. They have to be able to do better here. If its Mason Crosby then yeah I'd just rather have Maher.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Cowboys don’t trust Maher. He was money through most of the season then couldn’t make a PAT to save his life. It forced the team to bring in competition heading into the playoffs. We’re clearly looking for other options.
I Agree and when Jerry as asked a few days ago at the presser about him? It sure did not sound like they wanted him back. Actually sounded quite disrespectful lol.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nothing wrong with a kicking competition. Everyone wants better, but what if they aren't better. Remember when atlanta drafted that kicker cause he was a sure thing that turned out to be horrible? You know Maher will be an 89+% kicker when he's right so let them compete and keep the best.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So is the argument they screwed with the holder or is it that they got caught "cheating" and couldn't make kicks kicking it without "cheating" lol? I honestly think the guy just isn't good consistent kicker. And this article doesn't explain why the week leading up to the San Fran game they tried to replace him by bringing kickers in.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a kicking competition. Everyone wants better, but what if they aren't better. Remember when atlanta drafted that kicker cause he was a sure thing that turned out to be horrible? You know Maher will be an 89+% kicker when he's right so let them compete and keep the best.
See that I don't know. I have zero confidence in Maher I'm not sure how anyone could at this point.

Toro9

Reaction score
He's been here two years. He sucked the first time he was here.....second year he looked good and had one of the worst performances I've ever seen by a kicker in the playoffs. They have to be able to do better here. If its Mason Crosby then yeah I'd just rather have Maher.
I know every kicker has bad games and bad seasons but...

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
See that I don't know. I have zero confidence in Maher I'm not sure how anyone could at this point.
he was missing extra points not that it doesn't matter but he was ok on FG's. I also agree it seemed to coincide with the rule change on placement, and I hope he can workout the mechanics in camp. Whats the worst that can happen? someone beating him out is good right? What if he beats that guy you want the loser instead? no you want whomever is better and if its still Maher then so be it untill he gets beat out. I'd love to have a younger guy beat him.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Other than him making two field goals in the playoff game against San Francisco.

But he did miss an extra point there as well.
I really don't know. I get where you are coming from in that he did show some improvement. At the same time, I can see many reasons why they might want to move on anyway.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
he was missing extra points not that it doesn't matter but he was ok on FG's. I also agree it seemed to coincide with the rule change on placement, and I hope he can workout the mechanics in camp. Whats the worst that can happen? someone beating him out is good right? What if he beats that guy you want the loser instead? no you want whomever is better and if its still Maher then so be it untill he gets beat out. I'd love to have a younger guy beat him.
If they bring in competition and they determine Maher the winner then they must've not brought in the right competition.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If they bring in competition and they determine Maher the winner then they must've not brought in the right competition.
I honestly haven't looked who the FA are but I heard Gould is available. Bring in whomever, Gould or a young dude let them all fight it out.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I honestly haven't looked who the FA are but I heard Gould is available. Bring in whomever, Gould or a young dude let them all fight it out.
I mean at this point in the season what's out there is what you have to settle for. I Just thought it was better than Maher but maybe we find ourselves in the same situation as last year.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I mean at this point in the season what's out there is what you have to settle for. I Just thought it was better than Maher but maybe we find ourselves in the same situation as last year.
well about to leave work but i looked quickly at a couple free agents.

bret was 90% on FG and 94% on Extra points at age 33 or randy bullock 85% FG and 100% extra points also age 33. Mason crosby was 86% FG and 94% extra points but 38years old. That's all I have time to look at. To me FG % is more important overall and Brets issues came late, i'd be interested to see if they can be fixed or not.