CFZ Why Kicker Is Conflicting

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it messed with his head because elevating the ball could add distance but I don’t see it being much of a factor in accuracy
Other kickers adapted to it fairly quickly
I think it became mental for him. But he’s had all off season to get past it
Or other kickers weren’t doing the same thing and therefore didn’t have the same problem.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't right now. Perhaps a simple explanation?
Essentially, the punter was using a white painted blade of grass as a ball marker and the league stopped it. That same night he had all those misses. Not a coincidence.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Such a tough call with Maher. He stunk his first time here and I (and I'm sure many) couldn't believe we brought him back. Then all season last year he wasn't just good, he was great. Then in the playoffs he was absolutely horrible. Not bad, horrible. Has a kicker ever missed 4 XPs in one playoff game? So, I don't know what the heck to do with him. If we brought him in and he won the job again, the way last year ended would be in the back of my mind all year. Would it be in the back of his would be the bigger question.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
The point is that Maher was very reliant on having a marker and it ruined him without it.
The fact that he wont have it going forward and has been inconsistent throughout his career would push me to look elsewhere.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact that he wont have it going forward and has been inconsistent throughout his career would push me to look elsewhere.
I just think that Maher should be in the running. Nobody can deny that prior to week 17, he had solved this team’s problems at kicker.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I just think that Maher should be in the running. Nobody can deny that prior to week 17, he had solved this team’s problems at kicker.
I get it, but his history of showing strong performance early then falling off is what I would be wary of--even if he shows out in camp.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think the Kicker dilemma is pretty simple. Either you are confident in Gould and are willing to pay him or you go with Maher plus a couple no names to battle it out in camp.

Just not many other options out there. The only issue I see with Maher is after the season he had the guy may be holding out for real kicker money, not just a vet min contract. After all the guy is 33 and may not have many more opportunities to get paid.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I don’t consider them ‘yips’. I think that’s oversimplifying things.

There was clearly a sudden forced change in procedures that screwed him up badly.
And no indication that it has been solved or overcome in some other way.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I get it, but his history of showing strong performance early then falling off is what I would be wary of--even if he shows out in camp.
I can understand that, although I think it was a better argument a couple months ago. At this stage of free agency you don't have a sure thing no matter the route you take. The exception to that is Robbie Gould who I have no idea what his plan is at this point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can you elaborate on what you’re talking about a “history of falling off”?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Lets not forget that before last year, we had previously moved on from him after his FG% dropped to the mid 60%. He then sat out an entire league year when he couldn't find an active roster despite bouncing around on several practice squads.

The inconstancy with this player is concerning in a position where you absolutely cannot have inconsistency and we should look to upgrade the position.
He was very inconsistent for us, then went to New Orleans and seemed to have figured out his accuracy. I was wary of bringing him back, but he looked like whatever he had figured out in NO, he brought back with him to Dallas ... until that late-season meltdown.

At this point, I'd certainly be happy for Dallas to at least bring him back to camp and see if the yips are still an issue or if he was thrown off by the league enforcing the placement rule, etc.

He made 88.9% of his field goals in 2021 and 90.6% in 2022 (regular season). It's hard to find better than that.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on what you’re talking about a “history of falling off”?
2019 he was not great out the gate, but finished particularly bad missing 4 out of 8 in the last 3 games. Couldn't get a job the next year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Whatever became of Garibay? I was very pleased that we signed him as a UDFA and thought he had a chance of being a good one. Did he end up kicking in another pro league after we cut him?