Why make Bennett a free agent next year?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Does anyone know why we gave Michael Bennett a new contract making him a free agent next year when we could have had control of him for all of next year? Don't we want this guy on our team next year?

Likely a condition of the trade.

Zordon

Reaction score
Has Michael Bennett ever been a FA? If not, then I understand completely why he'd want to be a FA to have some modicum of control over what might be his final team and contract.

And if he's not in the team's long term plans, meaning something in the 3-4 year range, why not let him head to FA?
It just seems a little weird for a franchise to "play nice" like this. Especially when you consider the uncertainty of the DT position next season. Keeping Bennett another year would have been helpful as we transition new players in/out of that dline. I think there is some truth to the Clarence Hill tweet I posted above.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It just seems a little weird for a franchise to "play nice" like this. Especially when you consider the uncertainty of the DT position next season. Keeping Bennett another year would have been helpful as we transition new players in/out of that dline. I think there is some truth to the Clarence Hill tweet I posted above.
You think so? I don't think it's weird, at all. He's 33, right? He has no long term future here regardless of them keeping him next year anyway.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ware was let go instead of being traded for the exact reason that the team wanted him to be able to go somewhere else so it was done for his benefit and not the benefit of the team

Dez was babied and coddled and paid a huge contract for being a loud mouth cry baby and played well for 1 year after he got paid when most of us were against paying him and predicted what was coming

Lawrence got paid a kings ransom for holding the team hostage since they had no plan and he has been invisible until the last 2 games and is about to pull his usual vanishing act in December and January

Amari has been hurt all year but will get paid 16-18 mill/year and will under perform his contract and you will be happy

the examples you gave just tell us how ignorant you are of the history of this team

pay attention
Ware wanted to stay with the Cowboys. They did not accommodate him. Dez did to, as did Bailey and Beasley and Murray. The team did not accommodate them. You can twist things how you like, but the bottom line is the team felt they were better served using the money elsewhere rather than giving those players what they wanted.

As for Lawrence, are you really going to act as if he did anything different that players do all over the NFL? Holdouts and big contracts aren't unique to the Cowboys, and its laughable that you are willing to treat them that way to fabricate your narrative.

As for Cooper, no, he hasn't been hurt all year. And he wasn't hurt before the season when they could have signed him. I suspect he will get paid, but you act as if the team just lays over and gives up whatever it takes to make a player happy, and when that doesn't happen you just bury your head in the sand and ignore it.

And what about Romo - what do you have to say about that?

Zordon

Reaction score
You think so? I don't think it's weird, at all. He's 33, right? He has no long term future here regardless of them keeping him next year anyway.
In my clubbing days, I used to see C-Hill out with the players a lot. He has a good connection with them so I think he knows something.

Even though he doesn't have a long term future here, it made more sense to hold on to him and his services considering his $8M price tag is manageable, we have four free agent DT's, another DT coming off hip surgery who might be a salary cap casualty, and Trysten "sleepy head" Hill.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Does anyone know why we gave Michael Bennett a new contract making him a free agent next year when we could have had control of him for all of next year? Don't we want this guy on our team next year?
As far as I understand, it was Bennett's idea to revise the deal & therefore signed a reconstructed contact. He'll become an unrestricted free agent next March along with Quinn, Collins and Woods among the notable DL's in the final year of their deal. Getcha pocketbook ready Jerry. :laugh:

CB61

Reaction score
Good question

Chrispierce

Reaction score
You want to give him a contract..a 34yr old? I’d rather draft the right players instead of thinking a outspoken aging vet is the answer for the d-line.
Quinn is the better FA you keep of the two. Bennet is just looking for $$$ and that’s all. He’ll get it,then it will sour on them,and next year we’ll all be going how to get out of this mess and what a mistake that was.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Probably because now he's playing for some big moeny.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bennett just turned 33 and even though he can still be effective, he’s maybe 3/4 of what he was even 2-3 years ago. At 34 next year, the chances of decline are high. Bennett is a good band aid, but that’s it.

I would rather draft a really good DT early- like round one for a change. This team has undervalued the DT for far too long and it’s come back to haunt us again this year. Time to invest in the future!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
because “we have a great FO” that prioritizes player happiness over team wins

nothing new here

Who says that it has to be one or the other?

In general, a happy workforce is more productive. Specifically, Michael Bennett unhappy with his contract is likely to cause problems.

cern

Reaction score
We could get him for less next year by restructuring his deal now. Not likely anyone will offer him a long term deal at 34 years old. And I'm sure we'll get a chance to match any offer he receives. Smart move by the ever prudent, parsimonious Stephen.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
There is an element to the deal they struck with Mike Bennett that was undisclosed to the public. The public was told his contract was "re-worked" to be a one year deal. What the public wasn't told is they get the right of first refusal when Mike and his agent goes out to find a new contract for next season. Which means he can't accept a contract with anyone else until he gives the Cowboys a chance to match it.

cern

Reaction score
There is an element to the deal they struck with Mike Bennett that was undisclosed to the public. The public was told his contract was "re-worked" to be a one year deal. What the public wasn't told is they get the right of first refusal when Mike and his agent goes out to find a new contract for next season. Which means he can't accept a contract with anyone else until he gives the Cowboys a chance to match it.
I didn't know that but it makes perfect sense. It's tantamount to putting a tender on the guy.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I didn't know that but it makes perfect sense. It's tantamount to putting a tender on the guy.
Correct, they could have used a "transition tag" on the guy next season but having him agree to it saves that option to be used on someone else (like Dak).

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Could be a draft move. If Bennett walks then the New England pick stays a 7 and Dallas picks up a comp—maybe some scenario like that. Dallas essentially trades a 7 for a higher comp and the price of the rental contract. I’m not sure how it all works.
That's very smart thinking and your probably right.:bow:

HanD

Reaction score
Ware wanted to stay with the Cowboys. They did not accommodate him. Dez did to, as did Bailey and Beasley and Murray. The team did not accommodate them. You can twist things how you like, but the bottom line is the team felt they were better served using the money elsewhere rather than giving those players what they wanted.

As for Lawrence, are you really going to act as if he did anything different that players do all over the NFL? Holdouts and big contracts aren't unique to the Cowboys, and its laughable that you are willing to treat them that way to fabricate your narrative.

As for Cooper, no, he hasn't been hurt all year. And he wasn't hurt before the season when they could have signed him. I suspect he will get paid, but you act as if the team just lays over and gives up whatever it takes to make a player happy, and when that doesn't happen you just bury your head in the sand and ignore it.

And what about Romo - what do you have to say about that?

I really wish we could have seen what room would have done in 16.

But Dez Demarco Cole and Bailey were the absolute right decisions at the time and in hindsight imo.

Dez and Demarco were done.

Bailey was paid and struggling. He hasn't been the same either.

And Cobb is an upgrade.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Bennett just turned 33 and even though he can still be effective, he’s maybe 3/4 of what he was even 2-3 years ago. At 34 next year, the chances of decline are high. Bennett is a good band aid, but that’s it.

I would rather draft a really good DT early- like round one for a change. This team has undervalued the DT for far too long and it’s come back to haunt us again this year. Time to invest in the future!

Why not both? Win-win.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why did NE trade him again? I guess they’d rather not have him on the roster taking up cap if he’s disgruntled? But when Dallas takes a similar approach on a cheap one-year rental with a possible company on the back end, they’re idiots. Funny how that works.