Why make Bennett a free agent next year?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Does anyone know why we gave Michael Bennett a new contract making him a free agent next year when we could have had control of him for all of next year? Don't we want this guy on our team next year?

Apparently it was part of the trade. Cant complain considering Dallas literally gave up nothing.

cern

Reaction score
Why did NE trade him again? I guess they’d rather not have him on the roster taking up cap if he’s disgruntled? But when Dallas takes a similar approach on a cheap one-year rental with a possible company on the back end, they’re idiots. Funny how that works.
sarcasm?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems odd. They gave away rights for nothing.

The question is how Bennett got us to do it.
Now they get a comp pick if he departs in free agency.

If they had cut him, they would not get a comp pick.

They are unlikely to pay Quinn AND Bennett considering DLaw's contract.

If Bennett likes playing here, then they can re-sign him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Now they get a comp pick if he departs in free agency.

If they had cut him, they would not get a comp pick.

Next year was an option year on his original contract. We wouldn't have bad to cut him, just fail to pick up the option.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I like the move for a player/man like Bennett. He shouldn't be controlled by this team unless he chooses, and it goes both ways. If the fit works they can do a deal later.

Flamma

Reaction score
I believe it was part of making him happy. Upped his bonus this year and making him a free agent so he behaves here. Getting a player to buy in is important. They did that. This guy has been traded to 2 different teams while on the same contract, from Philly to Patriots to Dallas. Now Bennett has a huge incentive to act right, play right etc.

My man! The voice of reason. I stopped reading after this.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Love that we got him for a short term fill in- would hate to sign him to a contract!