Why Micah Parsons is different

DanA

Reaction score
The no.1 reason Parsons is different too LVE and Jaylon is his hand use and ability to beat O-linemen with something other than a quick first step. That was my knock on those two, that they flew around the field but never demonstrated heavy hands, or the ability to stack pass-rushing moves. Micah Parsons slaps linemen around for run and his lateral footwork regularly makes O-linemen look stupid. He's special and IMO a much better prospect than Jaylon/LVE coming out.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The no.1 reason Parsons is different too LVE and Jaylon is his hand use and ability to beat O-linemen with something other than a quick first step. That was my knock on those two, that they flew around the field but never demonstrated heavy hands, or the ability to stack pass-rushing moves. Micah Parsons slaps linemen around for run and his lateral footwork regularly makes O-linemen look stupid. He's special and IMO a much better prospect than Jaylon/LVE coming out.
My two biggest worries about Parsons is:

-Just haven't see him enough in coverage. If we are going to take an off the ball LB at 10, must be able to do it all. It's a projection.
-Ohio State ran a lot of misdirection and Parsons really struggled, kind of reminded me of the Rams playoff game where Jaylon/Lve had the same struggles.

Parsons in my opinion is an ascending prospect, he is going to need some development as he hasn't been playing the position too long. Really would of liked to see him get another year of seasoning at the college level.

DanA

Reaction score
My two biggest worries about Parsons is:

-Just haven't see him enough in coverage. If we are going to take an off the ball LB at 10, must be able to do it all. It's a projection.
-Ohio State ran a lot of misdirection and Parsons really struggled, kind of reminded me of the Rams playoff game where Jaylon/Lve had the same struggles.

Parsons in my opinion is an ascending prospect, he is going to need some development as he hasn't been playing the position too long. Really would of liked to see him get another year of seasoning at the college level.

I hear ya.

He does have a good forty time, and that's supported by a quick 3-cone so he could develop but it's definitely not his strength on tape. He's not a good fit in terms of complimenting Jaylon and LVE, and won't improve our coverage but I still like him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hear ya.

He does have a good forty time, and that's supported by a quick 3-cone so he could develop but it's definitely not his strength on tape. He's not a good fit in terms of complimenting Jaylon and LVE, and won't improve our coverage but I still like him.
He'll get there coverage wise. In the box you can use him so many ways though, and offense will have to account for him on every down. He reminds me of some those old hybrid Baltimore backers that could either be blitzed or used as an edge rusher. Rex Ryan would have pounded the table for him

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
To me, the two most exciting/frightening players in this draft are Parsons and Zaven Collins.

Parsons, especially, has the physical traits to be an all-pro and second-level game-changer. And the guy played very well at Penn State. But he is inexperienced at a position heavily weighted to instincts and savvy.

Collins is a ball magnet and a guy who looks like a Madden cheat code out on the field. He is huge, moves really well and creates big plays and turnovers. But he also looks like a throwback, and it is a challenge to see him at a premium position in today's game. He looks like a strongside LB. You'd need him to prove he can be more than that.

Either of these guys could make you regret for a decade passing on them. Or they could be relatively average players. Both need a coach who envisions multiple roles and has a plan.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I hear ya.

I think teams early on are going to try to isolate Parsons in coverage. He is going to have to hold up to stay on the field. With all that said, he still is a very high upside player who could become a monster with some development.

DanA

Reaction score
I think teams early on are going to try to isolate Parsons in coverage. He is going to have to hold up to stay on the field. With all that said, he still is a very high upside player who could become a monster with some development.

They can try but I see him as no worse than LVE in coverage and he's so damn fast that I they'll need to be a pretty good route runner to lose him.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They can try but I see him as no worse than LVE in coverage and he's so damn fast that I they'll need to be a pretty good route runner to lose him.
It not just about his speed, it's his spacing and route recognizition,

cnuball21

Reaction score

Yup...250 coming at the OL at 4.4 speed is going to blow up blocks. That paired with his + instincts AND ability to be slippery is fun.

He needs more experience in coverage, but we not bad there. So tired of seeing “he can’t cover” on here...lazy analysis.

tm1119

Reaction score
I’m a little afraid of the strong possibility he ends up a Giant or Eagle and we have to play him twice a year

tm1119

Reaction score
Hey as long as neither team drafts a QB lol

Yeah I agree neither are contenders this season. However, Eagles having picks 12, 37, 70, and 84 this year + the likelihood of 3 1st rounders next year does give me some cause for concern. Luckily Howie Roseman has been pretty bad at drafting so odds arent in their favor to capitalize

rambo2

Reaction score
Also, isn't Parsons healthy coming out of college. There is no mileage on him. He didn't even play in 2020. A good thing is that he is healthy and wants to be a Cowboy. He has a high upside. I suppose if Pitts, Sewell, and Surtain are gone, it would come down to Slater, Horn, and Parsons at 10.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I wonder what happens if Parsons is gone. There will be some high ranked players on the board.
I think we’re in a great spot. I’m partial to parsons surtain snd horn so I’m assuming one of three will be there. But maybe they trade back take jok. He’s a Quinn style guy play multiple positions.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Parsons reading the underneath route and breaking on it for the pass breakup (have we every actually seen Jaylon do that?)

Here's Parson's showing instincts and anticipation breaking on a shallow slant for another pass breakup.

Again, this is a guy that came out of high school playing DE. He's two years into the position switch and is already displaying the awareness of a more seasoned/experienced linebacker. People fall into the trap of think whatever a prospect shows in college is the player he will continue to be, as if they magically stop evolving the second their name is called on draft day. Parsons will continue to develop as a player; his ceiling and floor IMO are high (character concerns notwithstanding).