Why Micah Parsons is different

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The no.1 reason Parsons is different too LVE and Jaylon is his hand use and ability to beat O-linemen with something other than a quick first step. That was my knock on those two, that they flew around the field but never demonstrated heavy hands, or the ability to stack pass-rushing moves. Micah Parsons slaps linemen around for run and his lateral footwork regularly makes O-linemen look stupid. He's special and IMO a much better prospect than Jaylon/LVE coming out.

Would love Parsons for our pick.

HungryLion

Reaction score
A lot of corners have the athleticism to cover and can’t do it.

If you spend a 1 on this guy and he can’t cover you just got ripped off.. It’s not 1995.

The NFL spreads out defenses and finds their weakness. If you have a linebacker on the field that can’t cover they will find that guy and expose that guy.

So drafting Parsons is a huge risk.. It could pan out but if he can’t cover then that should get a GM fired because that GM will have assumed he can cover based on athleticism and no proof of the skill.

Like I said. Go watch him play. He can already cover the short zones and do it pretty well for a second year LB

every single player coming into the nfl requires some kind of projection. Every single one. So the argument you just made, is literally an argument you can make for every single draft prospect. Every single one. Nobody knows for sure how any of these players will play against NFL competition.

if you don’t like Parsons or whatever. That’s fine.

he is well worth the 10th pick though and I think there is every reason to believe he will be more than fine at coverage.
You say “no proof of the skill”. There is proof of him covering though. It’s not like he never covered anyone while at Penn State.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Like I said. Go watch him play. He can already cover the short zones and do it pretty well for a second year LB

every single player coming into the nfl requires some kind of projection. Every single one.

I don’t care if you don’t like Parsons or whatever. That’s fine.

he is well worth the 10th pick though.

Yeah but covering is the most important trait for a Linebacker in 2021. That's a trait that I personally believe you should see on film before you go spending 1st round picks.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yeah but covering is the most important trait for a Linebacker in 2021. That's a trait that I personally believe you should see on film before you go spending 1st round picks.

Go watch the film. He can cover. There is literally film of him doing it.

like I said it’s just a projection to the NFL level that you have to do with every college prospect.

Let’s not pretend Parsons didn’t do any covering in college lol

And coverage being “the most important trait” is debatable depending how you plan to use him. Especially considering his pass rush ability.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Go watch the film. He can cover. There is literally film of him doing it.

like I said it’s just a projection to the NFL level that you have to do with every college prospect.

Let’s not pretend Parsons didn’t do any covering in college lol

And coverage being “the most important trait” is debatable depending how you plan to use him. Especially considering his pass rush ability.

So maybe a 3-4 team is better suited for Parsons?

I mean if we were to just play him to his strengths then I think they could use Jaylon Smith with success if used the same way.

Say what you want about Jaylon but he's good when his job is to blitz the QB.

HungryLion

Reaction score
So maybe a 3-4 team is better suited for Parsons?

I mean if we were to just play him to his strengths then I think they could use Jaylon Smith with success if used the same way.

Say what you want about Jaylon but he's good when his job is to blitz the QB.

Jaylon just isn’t the same player since the injury. He just isn’t.

I don’t think Parsons is an OLB in a 3-4.

but I’m just saying he can be used for blitzing a lot too depending what you want to do with him.

I think he is a better player than post knee injury Jaylon.

Lol but Jaylon also makes mental mistakes left and right too so who can tell with him anymore. I can’t take much more watching him wander all over the place though. Lol

I don’t think the cowboys are going to draft Parsons anyway. So this is probably all discussion for naught. I think they’re more interested in Collins if they trade down (or up from 44)

DanA

Reaction score
It seems like the narrative in this thread has flipped a little far the other way. I’ve also seen on tape a pretty poor/unrefined back pedal where he fails to flip his hips and it costs him the necessary distance to make a play.

He lacks ball skills too. He’s not got these perfect coverage skills hidden in the closet that people are claiming.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
If you are asking Parsons to flip and cover a TE or WR down the field I don’t think that’s the best use of his gifts. He’s a sideline to sideline player that does not miss tackles. He’s going to snuff out all the underneath stuff. And then there’s his ability as a blitzer.
IMO he’s the best defensive player in the draft. I don’t think he lands in Dallas. But if he lands on the Giants behind a DL that protects their LB’s he’s going to be something.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It seems like the narrative in this thread has flipped a little far the other way. I’ve also seen on tape a pretty poor/unrefined back pedal where he fails to flip his hips and it costs him the necessary distance to make a play.

He lacks ball skills too. He’s not got these perfect coverage skills hidden in the closet that people are claiming.

Yes, people have really been claiming “Parsons has perfect coverage skills...”

Last edited:

DanA

Reaction score
Yes, people have really been claiming “Parsons has perfect coverage skills...”

Okay my evaluation is:

Positives:
  • Elite pass rusher for LB
  • Exceptional lateral agility
  • Excellent speed, burst, and athleticism in general
  • Very good getting off/fighting through blocks in a variety of ways
  • Good/very good tackler
  • Ability to sniff out what’s happening in backfield
  • High IQ run defender able to inferior plays pre-snap and make call outs.
  • Demonstrated an ability to drop into zone coverage and cover short crossing routes.
Negatives:
  • Stone hands
  • Limited technique back pedalling /flipping hips and move like a DB
  • Could do a better job ripping at the ball when runner is tied up

In terms of the Cowboys, he’s a big upgrade IMO in that you can rely on him to fill his gap and make the play every time. Jaylon and LVE might have similar sideline speed, size and more length but Parsons is a different level when it comes to getting off blocks and working through trash, he’s one of the best I’ve seen at this. Jaylon IMO has much more efficient footwork in coverage, but he’s noticeably hampered by his gimpy foot. I think Parsons will eventually be an upgrade in coverage on both LVE and Jaylon but I don’t think he’ll ever be as good as some hybrid guys like Keanu Neale but that’s exactly who you’d want to pair him with.

I think if we played Jaylon as a SAM/LEO in the Bruce Irvin mold, and LVE as rotational MIKE/WILL behind Parsons/Neale we’d be in really good shape at LB.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Okay my evaluation is:

Positives:
  • Elite pass rusher for LB
  • Exceptional lateral agility
  • Excellent speed, burst, and athleticism in general
  • Very good getting off/fighting through blocks in a variety of ways
  • Good/very good tackler
  • Ability to sniff out what’s happening in backfield
  • High IQ run defender able to inferior plays pre-snap and make call outs.
  • Demonstrated an ability to drop into zone coverage and cover short crossing routes.
Negatives:
  • Stone hands
  • Limited technique back pedalling /flipping hips and move like a DB
  • Could do a better job ripping at the ball when runner is tied up

In terms of the Cowboys, he’s a big upgrade IMO in that you can rely on him to fill his gap and make the play every time. Jaylon and LVE might have similar sideline speed, size and more length but Parsons is a different level when it comes to getting off blocks and working through trash, he’s one of the best I’ve seen at this. Jaylon IMO has much more efficient footwork in coverage, but he’s noticeably hampered by his gimpy foot. I think Parsons will eventually be an upgrade in coverage on both LVE and Jaylon but I don’t think he’ll ever be as good as some hybrid guys like Keanu Neale but that’s exactly who you’d want to pair him with.

I think if we played Jaylon as a SAM/LEO in the Bruce Irvin mold, and LVE as rotational MIKE/WILL behind Parsons/Neale we’d be in really good shape at LB.

I think this is a fair assessment. LBs that can move like DBs are likely going to be undersized and get killed against the run.

When you think about run D being our biggest weakness, Parsons is a perfect fit for what we need marrying talent/need.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Jaylon just isn’t the same player since the injury. He just isn’t.

I don’t think Parsons is an OLB in a 3-4.

but I’m just saying he can be used for blitzing a lot too depending what you want to do with him.

I think he is a better player than post knee injury Jaylon.

Lol but Jaylon also makes mental mistakes left and right too so who can tell with him anymore. I can’t take much more watching him wander all over the place though. Lol

I don’t think the cowboys are going to draft Parsons anyway. So this is probably all discussion for naught. I think they’re more interested in Collins if they trade down (or up from 44)

Agree with you with everything but Collins, Im just not as big a fan as some.
He's not even a pass rusher. Zaven Collins is a run stuffer and had a good year in coverage last season, but he's not a pass rusher at all.