Why NFL teams are willing to pay their Franchise QB’s

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Murray is another great example in a long line of less than Elite QB’s getting their payday the priorities of the franchises.

Which is once they find a QB good enough to bring them to a competitive stature in making the playoffs they are willing to make them their franchise QB paying Market Price .

And then it’s up to them to build around him the best they can. It brings legitimacy to their program , fan support, butts in the seats, merchandise sales and sponsor support .

Its a much sounder position for franchises than being a 4-6 win team continuing to look for that Top 5 Elite QB which only a handful of teams get.

And in most cases like with Dak the cap hits are minimal the first couple seasons after huge signing bonuses with bigger cap hits at end of contract.

Brax

Reaction score
Murray is another great example in a long line of less than Elite QB’s getting their payday the priorities of the franchises.

Which is once they find a QB good enough to bring them to a competitive stature in making the playoffs they are willing to make them their franchise QB paying Market Price .

And then it’s up to them to build around him the best they can. It brings legitimacy to their program , fan support, butts in the seats, merchandise sales and sponsor support .

Its a much sounder position for franchises than being a 4-6 win team continuing to look for that Top 5 Elite QB which only a handful of teams get.

And in most cases like with Dak the cap hits are minimal the first couple seasons after huge signing bonuses with bigger cap hits at end of contract.
2 trolling posts from the troll police, too funny.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

It's the new NFL.
We may not like it, but that's how it gonna be.
It's hard to be competitive with mediocre QB play,
So if you have a decent QB, he's gonna get paid.

817Gill

Reaction score

Thank you, seems like this has become common knowledge on the forum and for that I am grateful lol.

Now let’s see how it goes the next time Dak is up for a deal lol.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It's something owners need to start rethinking - you can't handicap your team by overpaying even great QBs. What good is a franchise QB if you have no o-line to protect them? Look at Andrew Luck and Tony Romo, both had years knocked off their careers because of it. I'd even say Wilson being behind a crap line also hurt the second half of his.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get why QBs are monstrously overpaid. It’s the hardest position to find even a decent starter, so all our fans that screamed about Dak’s contract have never seemed to understand that it’s just how the market pays QBs. In another year, Dak’s pay will seem pedestrian compared to some other guys.

At current pace, if NFL owners don’t agree to make the salary cap more flexible (as the NBA and NHL have) they are going to all strap themselves with a whacked out QB market and little cash to pay anyone else. The QB market costs are far outpacing the league’s other salaries.

The salary cap has been a good thing for NFL owners. But their greed is seemingly always the bigger motivator behind what’s best for the game, They need to re-examine the cap rules and find some more flexibility or the game will suffer, IMO.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's something owners need to start rethinking - you can't handicap your team by overpaying even great QBs. What good is a franchise QB if you have no o-line to protect them? Look at Andrew Luck and Tony Romo, both had years knocked off their careers because of it. I'd even say Wilson being behind a crap line also hurt the second half of his.
I’m not sure if it’s actually handicapping their team when we actually look at the Cap hits at least early in the contracts.

And then you must weigh in the alternatives of not having a Franchise QB to build around.

817Gill

Reaction score
We can say it’s handicapping a team or we can ask GM’s to do the totality of their job.

I see Stafford on that list yet the Rams have no issue acquiring new talent outside of the draft. I see Dak up there yet we have the second most cap space in the NFL. The Saints have done this stuff for years.

These contracts aren’t easy to maneuver but it’s doable. Being a GM is a hard job and this is one of the responsibilities. Gotta manipulate the cap and build around the QB contact. It’s not easy but it’s been done.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can say it’s handicapping a team or we can ask GM’s to do the totality of their job.

I see Stafford on that list yet the Rams have no issue acquiring new talent outside of the draft. I see Dak up there yet we have the second most cap space in the NFL. The Saints have done this stuff for years.

These contracts aren’t easy to maneuver but it’s doable. Being a GM is a hard job but this is one of the responsibilities. Gotta manipulate the cap and build around the QB contact. It’s not easy but it’s been done.
And rams GM Les Snead is operating light years ahead of the Jones boys as far as being able to master the cap rules while making bold moves that improve the team immediately. Snead is playing chess while the Jones boys play checkers and count their cash.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

These contracts aren’t easy to maneuver but it’s doable. Being a GM is a hard job but this is one of the responsibilities. Gotta manipulate the cap and build around the QB contact. It’s not easy but it’s been done.
Right

Daks cap hit last year was 17 mil and 19 mil this year. Hardly a cap killer.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Thank you, seems like this has become common knowledge on the forum and for that I am grateful lol.

Now let’s see how it goes the next time Dak is up for a deal lol.

Dak isnt a top 5 QB, but he has top 5 representation. Dak only has 3 years left on the deal he just signed. Hell get to take another HUGE bite off the apple soon and then we will all be complaining about him again... ESPECIALLY if we havent at least made it to the NFC title game.

817Gill

Reaction score
And rams GM Les Snead is operating light years ahead of the Jones boys as far as being able to master the cap rules while making bold moves that improve the team immediately. Snead is playing chess while the Jones boys play checkers and count their cash.
Yup! That’s why blaming the player for his contract is pointless. The FO is the one tasked with maneuvering the cap and building a team.

A guy asking and getting market value is par for the course, what separates franchises is what the FO can do around that.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The salary cap has been a good thing for NFL owners. But their greed is seemingly always the bigger motivator behind what’s best for the game, They need to re-examine the cap rules and find some more flexibility or the game will suffer, IMO.

How is the game going to suffer? No matter how much the QBs get paid, the league will still have the same players actually playing in the league. The game wont change 1 bit, just who is making the lions share of the money. The league/owners have exactly what they want with a cap.... a league that allows teams like the Bills and Bengals to get in a super bowl. If there was no cap, the Cowboys would be like the Dodgers and Yankees, and the Bengals would be like the Oakland A's.

The league has never been more popular/powerful, and the cap is part of the reason for that..... by the way, I despise the cap.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak isnt a top 5 QB, but he has top 5 representation. Dak only has 3 years left on the deal he just signed. Hell get to take another HUGE bite off the apple soon and then we will all be complaining about him again... ESPECIALLY if we havent at least made it to the NFC title game.
I expect him to resign next year in 2023 to avoid the first big cap hit of this contract .

His first two years of his contract with 17 and 19 million cap hits are minimal and I’d argue a bargain, next year with 49 million a worthy argument and why I’d expect a restructure or resigning to avoid heading into 2024 without a contract.

But these average yearly salaries aren’t really a true measurement as most of these are back loaded with the big signing bonuses up front.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yup! That’s why blaming the player for his contract is pointless. The FO is the one tasked with maneuvering the cap and building a team.

A guy asking and getting market value is par for the course, what separates franchises is what the FO can do around that.
in 2 years the Rams are ging to look exactly like the Saints have looked..... in big cap trouble. IM not saying they are doing it wrong... but how the Saints looking right now?