CFZ Why no one can accurately predict what’s ahead

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m amazed at how many fans look at schedules and common scores and think that is any kind of predictor of future scores against any future NFL opponent.

For example, the eagles beat the colts by 1; we beat the colts by 35 so obviously the Cowboys will kill the eagles, lol. Right? We beat the Vikings by 37 and they beat the Bills by 3, so obviously we will destroy the Bills in any matchup. It’s fools gold because the NFL is the most unpredictable league in sports. Scores rarely indicate what the future holds.

Look below at these previous NFL games. No one can tell me they saw these results coming:
  • Dolphins 21 Bills 19
  • Colts 20 Chiefs 17
  • Jags 38 Chargers 10
  • Broncos 11 49ers 10
  • Giants 24 Ravens 20
  • Steelers 20 Buccaneers 18
  • Falcons 28 49ers 14
  • Panthers 21 Bucs 3
  • Commanders 32 eagles 21
  • Pack 31 Cowboys 28
  • Lions 31 giants 18
  • eagles 17 Colts 16 (we must be way better than the eagles)
  • Cowboys 40 Vikings 3
  • Jaguars 28 Ravens 27
  • Bengals 27 Chiefs 24 (@KC)
  • Lions 34 Vikes 23
  • Chiefs 34 Broncos 28 (chiefs struggled to win)
  • Cowboys 27 Texans 23
  • Jaguars 36 Titans 22
Moral of the story: 4 games left. NONE OF US knows what’s going to happen! It’s the NFL! The Cowboys just need to continue to play hard and improve.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What jumps out to me is any NFL team can win on any given Sunday. Who could have predicted the niners 7th round rookie QB Brock Purdy would be 16-21-185, 2 TDs and no picks against Tampa? I’m not surprised the niners won but by 35-7 with the last player drafted last year?

So should we now assume that Brock Purdy is a stud and will not throw any picks and will lead the niners to glory each week?

No of course not. But that’s what we do in the prediction game. We take one week’s results and then assume it predicts the future. It does not. And the evidence is huge.

blueblood70

Reaction score
was a funeral planned after a WIN? seems like it..

we played poorly the middle part of the game but started great ended great =WIN

10 win season now first time in b2b seasons since 95-96, that's a positive, we have double digit wins and will be a playoff team first time since who knows how long.

clean up each game is one off, none really carry over to the other and this game has zero bearing on the jags game or the playoff team we will face..

Yes 2 dropped Tds, 4 dropped passes one gets defected into a INT by Brown ,2 cost us first downs, some poor decisions by our QB but really the entire team didn't show up in any phase..yet we won.,

you trying to tell me that other team all year had games lie this? they did how about yesterday

Mahomes 3 INT nearly lost to Denver also a BAD TEAM
MN losing to the Lions
TENN loses to Jax BIG
Bucs getting worked by a rookie qb
MIA hasnt looked good for few weeks
Bills struggled with the Jets again

earlier in the year the eagles are the measuring stick, correct?

they struggled to beat the colts the same was we did with the Texans , they also were in a fight with the Texans the first half, also struggles with the jags..Lost to Washington!

Bills had 3 game stretch of bad football

KC hasnt been perfect,

Cinci had bad stretch this year

its the NFL these things happen, we need to finish the last 4 games trying to be healthy

lets be content with a win and move on to next week, no concern here because games do not carry over IMHO

Biggest positive note from this game is the struggle shows the team itself it can't be smelling itself after a WIN...this has to be a little smelling salt going into the last 4 games that they can get beat by anyone.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
was a funeral planned after a WIN? seems like it..

we played poorly the middle part of the game but started great ended great =WIN

10 win season now first time in b2b seasons since 95-96, that's a positive, we have double digit wins and will be a playoff team first time since who knows how long.

clean up each game is one off, none really carry over to the other and this game has zero bearing on the jags game or the playoff team we will face..

Yes 2 dropped Tds, 4 dropped passes one gets defected into a INT by Brown ,2 cost us first downs, some poor decisions by our QB but really the entire team didn't show up in any phase..yet we won.,

you trying to tell me that other team all year had games lie this? they did how about yesterday

Mahomes 3 INT nearly lost to Denver also a BAD TEAM
MN losing to the Lions
TENN loses to Jax BIG
Bucs getting worked by a rookie qb
MIA hasnt looked good for few weeks
Bills struggled with the Jets again

earlier in the year the eagles are the measuring stick, correct?

they struggled to beat the colts the same was we did with the Texans , they also were in a fight with the Texans the first half, also struggles with the jags..Lost to Washington!

Bills had 3 game stretch of bad football

KC hasnt been perfect,

Cinci had bad stretch this year

its the NFL these things happen, we need to finish the last 4 games trying to be healthy

lets be content with a win and move on to next week, no concern here because games do not carry over IMHO

Biggest positive note from this game is the struggle shows the team itself it can't be smelling itself after a WIN...this has to be a little smelling salt going into the last 4 games that they can get beat by anyone.
The Cowboys did play poorly most of the game yesterday. But they also made a huge goal line stand and put together a 98 yard drive to pull out a win. Style points are nice. But winning is better.

I also recognize the Cowboys need to play much better. Their practices and film sessions better be great this week because the jags are no joke. I expect them to be very tough.

The NFL is always a week to week thing. What happened yesterday is usually a poor predictor of tomorrow.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
What jumps out to me is any NFL team can win on any given Sunday. Who could have predicted the niners 7th round rookie QB Brock Purdy would be 16-21-185, 2 TDs and no picks against Tampa? I’m not surprised the niners won but by 35-7 with the last player drafted last year?

So should we now assume that Brock Purdy is a stud and will not throw any picks and will lead the niners to glory each week?

No of course not. But that’s what we do in the prediction game. We take one week’s results and then assume it predicts the future. It does not. And the evidence is huge.
The 49ers have a perfect QB-less system for this era of football. They can run the ball on anyone. And stop anyone from running on Defense. No billion dollar QB needed.

links18

Reaction score
I mean I am not sure what this means. Predictions are just that--predictions. Some are more accurate than others, but nobody has a crystal ball that can see the future. My prediction is that we will be one and done in the playoffs. I could be wrong, I could be right, it's just a prediction.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Cowboys did play poorly most of the game yesterday. But they also made a huge goal line stand and put together a 98 yard drive to pull out a win. Style points are nice. But winning is better.

I also recognize the Cowboys need to play much better. Their practices and film sessions better be great this week because the jags are no joke. I expect them to be very tough.

The NFL is always a week to week thing. What happened yesterday is usually a poor predictor of tomorrow.

No doubt about it, yesterdays game looked like it would be a disaster in the making. Players getting injured, defense could get no pressure on the QB had 0 sacks on the game, Diggs goes out and into the locker room, Ferguson gets hurt, Steele gets hurt Dallas playing sloppy and poor football and losing the ball game. Yet in the end defense made a critical goal line stance and got the ball back to the offense who then drove it 98 yards for the game winner. This team had enough heart and fight in them to pull this game out and by all rights should have lost it.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I totally agree Bob. I do think I know that Philly is going to win the East. Even if we beat them in two weeks. They are the best team I’ve seen this year.

I think they stumble if we beat them. The pressure will be intense for them to not blow another game. That's usually when teams falter because they are humans.

Sydla

Reaction score
If this is an attempt to still think we can win the division, stop.

Yesterday was supposed to be one of those "anything can happen" days for Philly and they just absolutely steamrolled the Giants. With the Bears, Giants and Saints left outside of our game, it's likely over. None of those three can beat Philly.

Well maybe the Bears if Fields has the game of his life or there is a snow storm in Chicago.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
I think they stumble if we beat them. The pressure will be intense for them to not blow another game. That's usually when teams falter because they are humans.
Vs the crappy Saints or at home to the crappy Giants. After us those are the only two games.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
If this is an attempt to still think we can win the division, stop.

Yesterday was supposed to be one of those "anything can happen" days for Philly and they just absolutely steamrolled the Giants. With the Bears, Giants and Saints left outside of our game, it's likely over. None of those three can beat Philly.

Well maybe the Bears if Fields has the game of his life or there is a snow storm in Chicago.
Yea it would take some major weather event for the bears, saints or giants to beat them.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I’m amazed at how many fans look at schedules and common scores and think that is any kind of predictor of future scores against any future NFL opponent.

For example, the eagles beat the colts by 1; we beat the colts by 35 so obviously the Cowboys will kill the eagles, lol. Right? We beat the Vikings by 37 and they beat the Bills by 3, so obviously we will destroy the Bills in any matchup. It’s fools gold because the NFL is the most unpredictable league in sports. Scores rarely indicate what the future holds.

Look below at these previous NFL games. No one can tell me they saw these results coming:
  • Dolphins 21 Bills 19
  • Colts 20 Chiefs 17
  • Jags 38 Chargers 10
  • Broncos 11 49ers 10
  • Giants 24 Ravens 20
  • Steelers 20 Buccaneers 18
  • Falcons 28 49ers 14
  • Panthers 21 Bucs 3
  • Commanders 32 eagles 21
  • Pack 31 Cowboys 28
  • Lions 31 giants 18
  • eagles 17 Colts 16 (we must be way better than the eagles)
  • Cowboys 40 Vikings 3
  • Jaguars 28 Ravens 27
  • Bengals 27 Chiefs 24 (@KC)
  • Lions 34 Vikes 23
  • Chiefs 34 Broncos 28 (chiefs struggled to win)
  • Cowboys 27 Texans 23
  • Jaguars 36 Titans 22
Moral of the story: 4 games left. NONE OF US knows what’s going to happen! It’s the NFL! The Cowboys just need to continue to play hard and improve.

Agree with the general point, but Bengals/KC games was in Cincy, and I think plenty of people could have seen that one.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
Haven't you seen enough to know that anything can happen? All it takes is for the Eagles to take a team lightly.
LOL… I know… We’re putting our hopes now on “anything can happen “…2017 was annoying… I think 2022 will be worse

Creeper

Reaction score
I could not agree more, and the people making the predictions are flipping flopping with the results of every game. After last week's win over the Colts the experts moved up up to #2 in the rankings. This week we will drop a few spots even though we won. Notice how they are making a big deal about the Eagles beating up the Giants and how we almost lost to the Texans? They completely forgot how the Eagles almost lost to the Colts just a few weeks ago, and they lost to the Commanders!

I think the Cowboys were thinking the way a lot of fans were thinking yesterday. They thought they could win without giving their best effort. They were entitled to win that game. All it took was Turpin's fumble to turn the game around? Nonsense.

The Texans played really hard. They were hitting like the '85 Bears yesterday. The Cowboys were flat. The first TD drive just convinced them even more.

But next week is a new game. The Eagles play the 3-10 Bears, and the Cowboys are just 4.5 point favorites against the Jaguars. I think both games are going to be tougher than we think.