Why our players seem to decline once receiving a new deal

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We know that the Jones family loves to pay their own players. When giving these players new lucrative deals, it seems as if these players no longer play at the level they played at before signing the deal. Guys who recently signed deals such as Steele, Wilson, Hooker, Diggs, Dak, Lamb etc haven't lived up to what they're being paid. Things can change, but for right now, it's upsetting to see the decline in their play after getting so much money. This money could have been used elsewhere to better this team. Please give your thoughts on this......

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
You listed 5 players with 2 that got injured and 2 that literally just signed???

I thought you retired from all the questions.
He left off Zach Martin. Martin held out and got paid just a year ago, and now there's no comparison with his play prior to the payday. It's like he forgot how to play the position. He wasn't that bad before he got paid.

HungryLion

Reaction score
He left off Zach Martin. Martin held out and got paid just a year ago, and now there's no comparison with his play prior to the payday. It's like he forgot how to play the position. He wasn't that bad before he got paid.

Martin hurt his back. He is cooked now. He will retire after the season is over. I have no reason to believe it’s an effort issue with Martin. But he’s old and hurt his back. One of the risks you take with old players.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You listed 5 players with 2 that got injured and 2 that literally just signed???

It's early, give him some more time and he will come up with something. smh

HungryLion

Reaction score
Some of the players listed should have never been re-signed.

Steele, Wilson, Hooker, Dak.

That’s what a bad FO does. Give out bad contracts.

Diggs tore his ACL and has zero pass rush right now. His run defense sucks. That’s always been an issue but i am still
In wait and see mode with him due to the injury.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
We know that the Jones family loves to pay their own players. When giving these players new lucrative deals, it seems as if these players no longer play at the level they played at before signing the deal. Guys who recently signed deals such as Steele, Wilson, Hooker, Diggs, Dak, Lamb etc haven't lived up to what they're being paid. Things can change, but for right now, it's upsetting to see the decline in their play after getting so much money. This money could have been used elsewhere to better this team. Please give your thoughts on this......
The people that look like this to me are Hooker and Wilson.

Steele flat out regressed post ACL tear. Maybe Diggs too but he tore one in college and still was elite can take him time.

Dak is who he is and has been paid due to him being pretty available during the regular season. Don’t think he got better or worse. Jury is out on Ceedee.

Micah still needs to earn his contract IMO, and the big problem is we pay players either post injury thinking we are getting a steal.

OR

We are so locked into paying our own this FO hasn’t developed into their formula how to protect themselves from a benchmark % of injuries from stars and not using FA to fill those holes

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Martin hurt his back. He is cooked now. He will retire after the season is over. I have no reason to believe it’s an effort issue with Martin. But he’s old and hurt his back. One of the risks you take with old players.
If he was hurt before he got paid then it's on Jerry.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
They're on a hunger strike. Got paid and are no longer that hungry player to prove themselves. They seem to think past performances should keep their ALL PRO status and a possible GOLD jacket on their backs....................

dupree89

Reaction score
I'm certainly not defending this team, but I think this is something that happens across the league...and other sports too. Not always, obviously. But it does happen a lot.
Complacency is all I can come up with.

Cmac

Reaction score
I'd ask.....what about the players that are wasting roster spots that will not earn new paydays, because patience has been rendered too long or projections have been simply too high and contrasted by continued marginal play?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watch other teams move right on from players, as part of the continual evolution of a sports team. And for many reason not JUST age or performance.

We seemed more surprised when we let one walk. Even MORE surprised with any sort of trade.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I dunno on the effort thing. It’s natural to be more hungry before getting paid but that’s on coaching to keep them motivated.

My problem is signing Gallup and Steele when they were both hurt late in their walk year…..and they didn’t even get much of a discount, if any at all.

My guess is they get too personal with players.

Steele wasn’t great to begin with but they wanted to pat themselves on the back for that UDFA “find,” and and grab a bedpost notch for being “football guys.” I don’t even think Gallup is in the league any longer.

These were absolutely NOT inconsequential mistakes. Gallups dead money for this year AND next are roughly the same as Henry’s entire deal, which we “couldn’t afford,” and Steele is already guaranteed 17 million for next season.

Don’t tell me they are any good at this. Fine, most aren’t or couldn’t be, but the refusal to even consider that someone just may be able to do a better job isn’t ever a consideration. They truly think no one could be better and Jerry just told everyone that. THATS the frustration part, not the actual losing.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm certainly not defending this team, but I think this is something that happens across the league...and other sports too. Not always, obviously. But it does happen a lot.
Complacency is all I can come up with.
That's funny because I think I pretty said the opposite. :laugh:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Your threads have declined and keep declining....please give your thoughts on this....on second thought, don't.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I dunno on the effort thing. It’s natural to be more hungry before getting paid but that’s on coaching to keep them motivated.

My problem is signing Gallup and Steele when they were both hurt late in their walk year…..and they didn’t even get much of a discount, if any at all.

My guess is they get too personal with players.

Steele wasn’t great to begin with but they wanted to pat themselves on the back for that UDFA “find,” and and grab a bedpost notch for being “football guys.” I don’t even think Gallup is in the league any longer.

These were absolutely NOT inconsequential mistakes. Gallups dead money for this year AND next are roughly the same as Henry’s entire deal, which we “couldn’t afford,” and Steele is already guaranteed SEVENTEEN million for next season.

Don’t tell me they are any good at this. Fine, most aren’t or couldn’t be, but the refusal to even consider the hat someone just may be able to do a better job isn’t ever a consideration. They truly think no one could be better and Jerry just told everyone that. THATS the frustration part, not the actual losing.
Steele is counting 17 million against the cap next year? He's not even worth 3 million.

Dak isn't even worth 17 million and we're paying him over 60.

Is there really any point in following this team anymore?

Havic

Reaction score
As far as the defense goes, I think a lot has to do with scheme. DQ isnt here anymore so the turnovers went away. Diggs looks pretty pedestrian when he isnt getting picks. Wilson the same with not forcing turnovers.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score

Those at 5 starters, we depend on heavily for their contributions and productions who are playing well below their value . If he has to list more than that for you to get the point, it’s pointless then.

gtb1943

Reaction score
seems pretty clear that its physical not mental despite what many here WANT to believe