Why our players seem to decline once receiving a new deal

fivetwos

Reaction score
Steele is counting 17 million against the cap next year? He's not even worth 3 million.

Dak isn't even worth 17 million and we're paying him over 60.

Is there really any point in following this team anymore?
There is. I don’t know any other way, and don’t want to not follow them.

I just wish the powers that be would consider changing things that have been proven over a very large sample size to not work.

Thats not an unreasonable point of view the way I see it, but Jerry has to try to prove….well, you know. I truly believe he would rather not win than have someone else be considered the reason that they did, and that part isn’t acceptable to me.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of these contracts give the player all the leverage. So, the only incentive after they get paid is staying healthy. We seem to have a lot of businessmen making business decisions on the Dallas Cowboys.

MikeT22

Reaction score
We know that the Jones family loves to pay their own players. When giving these players new lucrative deals, it seems as if these players no longer play at the level they played at before signing the deal. Guys who recently signed deals such as Steele, Wilson, Hooker, Diggs, Dak, Lamb etc haven't lived up to what they're being paid. Things can change, but for right now, it's upsetting to see the decline in their play after getting so much money. This money could have been used elsewhere to better this team. Please give your thoughts on this......
Dont forget Gallup. He suffered a season-ending injury just prior to being resigned. Masterful.

rambo2

Reaction score
We know that the Jones family loves to pay their own players. When giving these players new lucrative deals, it seems as if these players no longer play at the level they played at before signing the deal. Guys who recently signed deals such as Steele, Wilson, Hooker, Diggs, Dak, Lamb etc haven't lived up to what they're being paid. Things can change, but for right now, it's upsetting to see the decline in their play after getting so much money. This money could have been used elsewhere to better this team. Please give your thoughts on this......
They decline because they are older.

HungryLion

Reaction score
They decline because they are older.

Exactly. This is a young, healthy players game.

The cowboys need to stop extending players who are

1. Older
2. Coming off serious injury.

If they’re going to sign old, or hurt players. It needs to be to one year deals where they can move on immediately if the player is no longer the same.

The same goes for drafting hurt players. The FO has far more success when they just draft the best players available and don’t try and get cute and get guys who fell in the draft due to injury.

J_Allen

Reaction score
There is. I don’t know any other way, and don’t want to not follow them.

I just wish the powers that be would consider changing things that have been proven over a very large sample size to not work.

Thats not an unreasonable point of view the way I see it, but Jerry has to try to prove….well, you know. I truly believe he would rather not win than have someone else be considered the reason that they did, and that part isn’t acceptable to me.
I truly believe that there are people on this board who could run the team better than Jerry and Stephen. At this point we're just wasting valuable time on a Sunday or during the week when we're off work watching these losers who don't care playing for an owner who also doesn't care.

You know what, what we should have done with Zach Martin is tell him, "You signed a contract, if you don't want to be here we can put you on the trading block but you're going to play out the rest of this deal and then you're free to go elsewhere."

We cave every single time someone holds out. That does not set a good precedent. We had so much dead money during the 1997 season because Jerry was too loyal and signed players who were aging. I see he didn't learn anything.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
It’s Jerry’s blind sided view of paying for past performances and not doing a business like contract, tie it with performance guarantees for future .

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I mean it’s everyone in the league. Think about it these guys prime years are on their rookie deals. The average player stays in the NFL for 4 years. These guys start their decline at about 25 or 26….which coincides with around the time their rookie deal is up.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He left off Zach Martin. Martin held out and got paid just a year ago, and now there's no comparison with his play prior to the payday. It's like he forgot how to play the position. He wasn't that bad before he got paid.
Martin just played the game the way it was supposed to be played. He saw the decline and wanted more money.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You listed 5 players with 2 that got injured and 2 that literally just signed???

I thought you retired from all the questions.
He’s not about to retire from all the questions. He’ll have to drop his schtick with “Please give your thoughts on this.”

erod

Reaction score
That's common with most highly paid players. Not all, but most do regress once they're flush with cash.

Dak was puzzling because his athleticism and play has been in steep decline the past two years. Why they thought this would get better is beyond logic.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Earning a second contract is what motivates a lot of players. This is why many players have big years during contract years. Once they get their money they lose their motivation and focus. Sometimes their best years are during their first contract and they begin to decline during their second contract, which was the case with Zeke.

garyo1954

Reaction score
No longer hungry. Used to the idea of winning championships was to keep everybody hungry.

Most everybody does the same thing. Get to a point where they are financially satisfied and slack off.

People being people.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I believe in their mind Ian set that they already earned that money with their previous performance.

When a new player comes in on a new contract, I believe they feel like they have to prove to their new team that they are worth it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I believe in their mind Ian set that they already earned that money with their previous performance.

When a new player comes in on a new contract, I believe they feel like they have to prove to their new team that they are worth it.
What makes more sense in theory. Nothing is guaranteed:

1. Spending $30M on your own 1 player already on your team.

2. Trading that player for draft picks and spending $30M on a player or players in FA?

In theory with the money spent on CD, we could have drafted a WR, signed Henry and still added another significant piece at DT or another WR.

I believe option 2 makes us a better team.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He left off Zach Martin. Martin held out and got paid just a year ago, and now there's no comparison with his play prior to the payday. It's like he forgot how to play the position. He wasn't that bad before he got paid.
Desperation for a new contract just might be a tell that a player knows his health/skills are declining.