Why our players seem to decline once receiving a new deal

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Part of it is the basic contract year dynamic. They play hard when they know they'll be negotiating soon. And play not so hard when they have a contract set for a few years.

Players also go up and down. If Jerry is too sensitive to that up and down, he'll be paying guys on an up year too high, and then they revert to the mean the following years.
said perfectly

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yep. Another big part is the organization is constantly paying for past performance and seem incapable of asking the question or calculating the likelihood of such performances continuing. They cave to hostile tactics and holdouts. A few years ago DLAW was refusing to get off-season shoulder surgery until Dallas gave him a new deal. Jerry caved. Zeke takes off training camp and Jerry caves. CD follows the same script and gets rewarded. Micah will do the same next off season. There is no organizational football philosophy or guiding principles. Its just whatever Jerry wants to do when he wants to do it.
That's why i'm not happy about MIcah getting the bag, I feel like we're paying him based off what he's done, but really if he's playing at a severely high level, I have no problem doing it, there's too many questions with him for me. Can I foresee him giving me double digit sacks AND creating turnovers every season???

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's why i'm not happy about MIcah getting the bag, I feel like we're paying him based off what he's done, but really if he's playing at a severely high level, I have no problem doing it, there's too many questions with him for me. Can I foresee him giving me double digit sacks AND creating turnovers every season???
I'm not sure we can afford him. Jerry might have to hire Jimmy Johnson as an outside consultant on a project basis to work some trades. IMO, Micah is an undersized DE playing out of position. A perfect fit for him would be a 3-4 OLB, but even in this defense he should be a LB.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not sure we can afford him. Jerry might have to hire Jimmy Johnson as an outside consultant on a project basis to work some trades. IMO, Micah is an undersized DE playing out of position. A perfect fit for him would be a 3-4 OLB, but even in this defense he should be a LB.
I get happy hearing you all say this, so what happens, we trade him or franchise him for another year then trade him