Why Penalties and excessive replays are making games boring!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What they have done is turned football into an episode of Judge Judy. These lawyer refs are too big a part of the game. We don't want to watch them. We want to watch the athletes. And a few more cheerleader shots. You don't even see them on the broadcast anymore. TDs & Pom Poms shaking. It is a winning combination.
There is no question the refs have taken a bigger spotlight in NFL games. The names of refs are even well known today. Some of the more famous ones have retired like Ed “Hercules” Hoculi and Gene ”Index Card” Steratore. When I started watching football as a kid, refs were never well known figures.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There is no question the refs have taken a bigger spotlight in NFL games. The names of refs are even well known today. Some of the more famous ones have retired like Ed “Hercules” Hoculi and Gene ”Index Card” Steratore. When I started watching football as a kid, refs were never well known figures.

True but I think much of goes back to the competition committee who put the rules in place. I think the biggest mistake I see in the NFL is the yearly changing of the rules and how they expect the rules to be enforced.

kskboys

Reaction score
Im sorry but Refs cant get plays right even with Replay but their gaffs and missed or phantom calls are ruining games., IR is necessary because once the playoffs get here you dont want what happened to the Saints and other teams happen to us.. you would be screaming for replay if it did..

I get the point but officiating has been horrible the last 5 years even with replay , somehow the league allows them to get these wrong and still be employed is the issue, I feel its an ego thing,, they are rebelling against replay and at times just fault wont reverse call even though it staring them in the face.. more bad calls against the saints whistles blowing early, two hand push off by Brown that doesnt get a call after replay.. thats so blatant and why the rule was put in place and yet it failed..

without Replay it would be more out of control..sure makes 16 RS games bit tedious but I for sure want it for the playoffs and on my side if possible for that big game.. I mean the Rams got free SB appearance but Replay would most likely have put the saints in.. thats not fair the rams get to claim forever they made a SB when in actuality it should have been the Saints..

the NFL has an issue with not enough good officials to go around and its hurtling the game not IR..but they need to make sure the refs on the field reviewing IR get it RIGHT!..

when betting starts becoming legal around the league this will look real bad if you believe ref is shaving points or effecting outcomes for whatever reason,, calls like they are making sure have that appearance even if it were not true.. I mean blind man can make some of these calls, its not subjective..
I'm not getting what IR has to do w/ this. How does Injury Reserve play into instant replay?

kskboys

Reaction score
you know I used IR = Instant Replay..lol come on man stop beign a hard head.. poop stirrer..
You got me!!!!

Just one of my pet peeves. It irritates me when people use an already accepted abbreviation for something else. I was definitely being a poop stirrer, you nailed it!!!!!!!!!! Glad you took it as that n threw some back at me!!!! All in fun!!!!!

On a poker site I play around on, the people call each other M F profusely. Wanna guess what they mean?!!!!

blueblood70

Reaction score
You got me!!!!

Just one of my pet peeves. It irritates me when people use an already accepted abbreviation for something else. I was definitely being a poop stirrer, you nailed it!!!!!!!!!! Glad you took it as that n threw some back at me!!!! All in fun!!!!!

On a poker site I play around on, the people call each other M F profusely. Wanna guess what they mean?!!!!
I abbreviated m F for Minkah and it got **..lol

not an issue we are 2-0 and in agood place..:) until we are not..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You got me!!!!

Money Friendly.. ha

But yea , I thought IR meant Injured Reserve too.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is kinda funny. Games with too many flags thrown frustrate me but I do not necessarily find them boring. For me, the boring games involve average defensive effort and lack of scoring due to offenses constantly shooting themselves in the foot!

I have patience for flags and commercials. It frustrates me how many of each get thrown into the mix.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It is kinda funny. Games with too many flags thrown frustrate me but I do not necessarily find them boring. For me, the boring games involve average defensive effort and lack of scoring due to offenses constantly shooting themselves in the foot!

I have patience for flags and commercials. It frustrates me how many of each get thrown into the mix.
Yea

What bores me is a game like Monday Night. Lol
I found my self switching the channel. Had nothing to do with penalties. Duece on HBO was more entertaining.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is interesting how every season we hear this "OK, now we're really serious, we're going to enforce this rule". This year it's holding. In the past it's been pushing off, pick plays and targeting.

Whatever happened to that 90 Second Review Rule? That's now turning into 10 minutes.

On one hand, you've got the owners wanting more action for the TV nets, that deal is coming up shortly, and on the other hand, you've got a bunch of pissed off refs over the review of PI calls, purely judgmental, as an overreaction to a non call. So what's the easiest penalty to call because it happens on every offensive play?

I agree with Bullet, the games are jerky and it's hard to get into the flow and the number of stops downs and commercials, and not just commercials but the same ones over and over and over, is making a live event a must record as the only way to watch it.

The NFL makes mistakes and then compounds that with more. The instant replay exists because of the questionable play in the HOU-PIT playoff game with future Cowboys WR, Mike Renfro. The resulting reaction from the NFL did nothing to enhance the experience of watching a NFL game, made it worse and a damned chore at times. Now, they've done that with another reviewable play.

The human element is as much a part of football as the home calls by basketball refs, it is inherent in the sport. There is no more need of instant replay than that additional talking head in the broadcast booth.

I don't play that 'things were better back then card" often but when you watched a game back then, you watched the game because if you didn't, you would miss the play. You only needed one guy to tell you what you're watching and he knew just how much to tell you. You peed at the commercial breaks, you didn't have the luxury of catching the replay. And they got the same timed game today done in under 2:45 most of the time and it takes up to 3:30 now, in regulation, and that's all down time or watching insurance ads or ambulance chasers.

I have come to one conclusion about my fellow football fans that watch the games on TV. We are all either bad drivers or in need of lawyers or both.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It is interesting how every season we hear this "OK, now we're really serious, we're going to enforce this rule". This year it's holding. In the past it's been pushing off, pick plays and targeting.

Whatever happened to that 90 Second Review Rule? That's now turning into 10 minutes.

On one hand, you've got the owners wanting more action for the TV nets, that deal is coming up shortly, and on the other hand, you've got a bunch of pissed off refs over the review of PI calls, purely judgmental, as an overreaction to a non call. So what's the easiest penalty to call because it happens on every offensive play?

I agree with Bullet, the games are jerky and it's hard to get into the flow and the number of stops downs and commercials, and not just commercials but the same ones over and over and over, is making a live event a must record as the only way to watch it.

The NFL makes mistakes and then compounds that with more. The instant replay exists because of the questionable play in the HOU-PIT playoff game with future Cowboys WR, Mike Renfro. The resulting reaction from the NFL did nothing to enhance the experience of watching a NFL game, made it worse and a damned chore at times. Now, they've done that with another reviewable play.

The human element is as much a part of football as the home calls by basketball refs, it is inherent in the sport. There is no more need of instant replay than that additional talking head in the broadcast booth.

I don't play that 'things were better back then card" often but when you watched a game back then, you watched the game because if you didn't, you would miss the play. You only needed one guy to tell you what you're watching and he knew just how much to tell you. You peed at the commercial breaks, you didn't have the luxury of catching the replay. And they got the same timed game today done in under 2:45 most of the time and it takes up to 3:30 now, in regulation, and that's all down time or watching insurance ads or ambulance chasers.

I have come to one conclusion about my fellow football fans that watch the games on TV. We are all either bad drivers or in need of lawyers or both.
Funny

Bob makes some excellent points but at my age I need more pee breaks. Lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny

Bob makes some excellent points but at my age I need more pee breaks. Lol
Yeah, I get that but you could go get a vasectomy and get back before some of these calls are made.

Peeing is something you used to do during a football game and now watching a football game is something you do between pee breaks. I think Booger missed out on marketing the Cowboys Catheter Couch Attachment. It could inflate and when the star was filled out, time for a bag dump.

kskboys

Reaction score
Thing is, these bad calls weren't previously readily available. Now, you can watch them as much as you want w/ DVR, and then look them up on UTube. The NFL was most likely manipulating all along, they just got caught w/ their pants down due to technology.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
And they got the same timed game today done in under 2:45 most of the time and it takes up to 3:30 now, in regulation, and that's all down time or watching insurance ads or ambulance chasers.

I don't know about that. I recorded the Dallas/Washington game and with all the penalties in that game (14 total accepted), from the broadcast start to :00 in the 4th quarter was exactly 3:00:38.