Why Penalties and excessive replays are making games boring!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whatever happened to that 90 Second Review Rule? That's now turning into 10 minutes.
10 minutes is the minimum time necessary for all the game officials, and those at league headquarters, to get all of their stories straight.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, I get that but you could go get a vasectomy and get back before some of these calls are made.

Peeing is something you used to do during a football game and now watching a football game is something you do between pee breaks. I think Booger missed out on marketing the Cowboys Catheter Couch Attachment. It could inflate and when the star was filled out, time for a bag dump.
I’m way beyond vasectomy. Lol

Can I call you Catheter Couch? And thanks for spelling it for me. First time I’ve typed it. Ha

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know about that. I recorded the Dallas/Washington game and with all the penalties in that game (14 total accepted), from the broadcast start to :00 in the 4th quarter was exactly 3:00:38.
Marcus, just stop it! You know I said UP TO 3:30 and how many times have you seen them leave a game still in progress at 3:15pm from a start time of 12:00 to join the scheduled Cowboys game?

Soth

Reaction score
Don't forget too many commercials.

What I really hate is a commercial break, one play ran, then another commercial break.

It completely screws up the flow of the game.

DVR the game and start watching at half time with no commercials. You will be caught up with the live broadcast by the end of the game (again, without watching a single commercial).

fredp22

Reaction score
Don't forget too many commercials.

What I really hate is a commercial break, one play ran, then another commercial break.

It completely screws up the flow of the game.

twice last week commercials cut into important parts of a game

1- in the NO game when they overturned the incomplete pass to a fumble and dead ball instead of defensive TD. Commercials cut into the call and we rejoined the game going *** happened?

2- when Wentz scored 2 point play and we went to commercial. We came back after the play was reversed and Wentz was called already down.

jnday

Reaction score
I am not the kind of fan who complains about the refs being unfair or costing us games. I have always believed (and still do) that great football teams learn to overcome all obstacles. Most teams get some good calls and some bad ones.

Having said that, after two weeks of NFL football with its ever-growing rule book, I’m sick of watching a flurry of yellow flags and constant stops for TV replays that stop the game but end up proving nothing. The refs excessive calls and stoppage have become a much too large a part of the game. In fact, IMO, in its effort to make their game “almost perfect”, the NFL is making its games less interesting.

Here’s some evidence that the NFL’s excessive rules and officiating is making their game more boring:
  • Offensive holding calls are up 66% so far in 2019.
  • In 2018, there were 735 accepted offensive holding calls in the NFL. This year, we are on pace to have over 1,200 holding calls!
  • On a typical NFL game day in 2018, there were approximately 15 defensive holding calls in a game.
  • According to a Wall Street Journal study from 2010-2015, a typical 3 hour NFL game has only 11 minutes of actual game action. Wow.
I’m all for making games as well officiated as possible. But that starts with the understanding that as long as you have human beings both making the rules and officiating the actual game action, there will always be a few errors.

Having a flag fly every other play is not my idea of a good football game. Regardless of who is being penalized.
When they use 50% of their air time with replays, commercials and penalties, it makes a lot of games impossible to watch. Commercials have come to the point where they directly effect the play on the field and the momentum of the game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not the kind of fan who complains about the refs being unfair or costing us games. I have always believed (and still do) that great football teams learn to overcome all obstacles. Most teams get some good calls and some bad ones.

Having said that, after two weeks of NFL football with its ever-growing rule book, I’m sick of watching a flurry of yellow flags and constant stops for TV replays that stop the game but end up proving nothing. The refs excessive calls and stoppage have become a much too large a part of the game. In fact, IMO, in its effort to make their game “almost perfect”, the NFL is making its games less interesting.

Here’s some evidence that the NFL’s excessive rules and officiating is making their game more boring:
  • Offensive holding calls are up 66% so far in 2019.
  • In 2018, there were 735 accepted offensive holding calls in the NFL. This year, we are on pace to have over 1,200 holding calls!
  • On a typical NFL game day in 2018, there were approximately 15 defensive holding calls in a game.
  • According to a Wall Street Journal study from 2010-2015, a typical 3 hour NFL game has only 11 minutes of actual game action. Wow.
I’m all for making games as well officiated as possible. But that starts with the understanding that as long as you have human beings both making the rules and officiating the actual game action, there will always be a few errors.

Having a flag fly every other play is not my idea of a good football game. Regardless of who is being penalized.

I think almost all NFL fans can agree that excessive penalties take away from the game.

We don't need penalties for holding when it's away from the play and had no impact on the actual play.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Many years ago, a lot of people were against replay and their main reason was that its a slippery slope. Well folks, we are on that slippery slope.

Slippery-Slope.jpg