Why The Announcement Today?

rcaldw

Reaction score
Why in the world do you announce that Henson won't be on your roster until he isn't on your roster? That makes zero sense, just like a lot of the other things Parcells has done with Henson don't make sense.

superpunk

Reaction score
:violin:

Why let us know he was playing Shanle and Coleman to showcase them for trade?

I don't see anything sinister here.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
rcaldw said:
Why in the world do you announce that Henson won't be on your roster until he isn't on your roster? That makes zero sense, just like a lot of the other things Parcells has done with Henson don't make sense.

it sets up the trade scenario.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Well, the announcement came the day Romo played the entire first preseason game, and if that wasn't enough for ya, when Baker was taking all the snaps, that sealed the deal. Some folks just chose to ignore the obvious.

They've probably been shopping him for a while. I'm sure all the GMs in the league already knew about it. Hopefully we get a pick.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
rcaldw said:

You're right. Seems like a blow up to me.

You don't say he won't be on your roster, and then expect trade negotiations to go through unless they already are 100% certain. Why trade for a player if you're another team when you don't need to because he's going to be gone anyways?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did not hear it, but someone said that a report on the ticket said Hensons locker was already cleared out.

Maybe they only announced it now because Henson was or already left and knew a reporter would find out and report it anyways.

That is the only thing I can think of really.

That they were afraid, for whatever reason, that someone would leak the story.

Remember when QC was cut how the reporters all knew something was up when QC did not show up in morning for the camp.

Now of course the reporters would not be in camp now but I imagine someone would still notice him, Henson, gone.

Other than that reason I really can not think of another unless they flat out know that a trade is in the bag or that Henson asked to be let go/retire.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk said:
:violin:

Why let us know he was playing Shanle and Coleman to showcase them for trade?

I don't see anything sinister here.

I don't think he is saying anything is sinister.

Just odd that they say he will not be on the roster but would not say if he was traded or what the reason was.

Which is odd IMO.

If you are going to trade him why announce he is off of the roster soon without having a trade announced.

It is just odd.

superpunk

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

Just odd that they say he will not be on the roster but would not say if he was traded or what the reason was.

Which is odd IMO.

If you are going to trade him why announce he is off of the roster soon without having a trade announced.

It is just odd.

My bad.

I can buy your previous explanation, though. Damage control? Or, maybe the trade is already done?

rcaldw

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

Which is odd IMO.

It is just odd.

It IS odd BP, but I think the scenario you presented makes a lot of sense. What I don't understand is, let's say they were going to trade him, why not say to Henson, "keep coming to practice and we are going to work hard to move you."?

At least that way it preserves some trade value. But then again, maybe that is what has already been going on for a couple of weeks and Henson finally had his fill of it.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Well, the announcement came the day Romo played the entire first preseason game, and if that wasn't enough for ya, when Baker was taking all the snaps, that sealed the deal. Some folks just chose to ignore the obvious.

They've probably been shopping him for a while. I'm sure all the GMs in the league already knew about it. Hopefully we get a pick.

That, and Jerry announcing last week he wouldn't be surprised to see Henson start elsewhere. lol.

mullet

Reaction score
rcaldw said:

I agree. Why even talk about it, until any deal is done. Very strange. And, Parcells insinuates the guy can't play while a deal may be in the works. Not smart.

rcaldw

Reaction score
One other thought that plays to the blow up scenario that Sultan suggested, is that Parcells said something to the effect, "I'm not going to keep a player around that I don't think can play." VERY, VERY strange thing to say if a trade is in the works. If you are trading him you sell it along the lines of, "We think we have our young guy in Romo, but Henson will be a good young guy for some other team."

For Parcells to flat out say he doesn't think Henson can play almost sounds like an angry swipe.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually, it makes perfect sense .. It lets all of the other NFL teams know a trade is being worked on and if they are interested, they had better speak up now.

-Reality

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
rcaldw said:
It IS odd BP, but I think the scenario you presented makes a lot of sense. What I don't understand is, let's say they were going to trade him, why not say to Henson, "keep coming to practice and we are going to work hard to move you."?

At least that way it preserves some trade value. But then again, maybe that is what has already been going on for a couple of weeks and Henson finally had his fill of it.

Yes that is the odd thing.

If there is a trade in the bag why not announce it or keep henson here until it is finalized.

I do have to wonder if maybe, just maybe, as far fetched as it may seem...Henson may just want to retire from football.

He gave baseball a chance and it did not pan out, football has not panned out so far for him.

Maybe he just feels enough is enough.

It is not like he is wanting for money.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
mullet said:
And, Parcells insinuates the guy can't play while a deal may be in the works. Not smart.

Not smart and it doesn't make sense either for the above said reasons.

superpunk

Reaction score
rcaldw said:
One other thought that plays to the blow up scenario that Sultan suggested, is that Parcells said something to the effect, "I'm not going to keep a player around that I don't think can play." VERY, VERY strange thing to say if a trade is in the works. If you are trading him you sell it along the lines of, "We think we have our young guy in Romo, but Henson will be a good young guy for some other team."

For Parcells to flat out say he doesn't think Henson can play almost sounds like an angry swipe.

I thought he was talking about Peterman with that?

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reality said:
Actually, it makes perfect sense .. It lets all of the other NFL teams know a trade is being worked on and if they are interested, they had better speak up now.

-Reality

Maybe...I just don't get the feeling that is what is up in this case though.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Reality said:

-Reality
They would already know that. We'd call them and let them know he was on the block.

rcaldw

Reaction score
superpunk said:
I thought he was talking about Peterman with that?

Was he? I didn't hear the press conference, read the transcript of it.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...explanations would be that Henson has officially sent in his retirement papers.

Media reports were that Henson cleared out of the locker room on Monday's game unlike his normal routine.

Something was already up.