Why The Announcement Today?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I don't think many 3rd/4th stringers get the luxory of the "keep working hard and we'll see if we can't find a suitor for you" line once they've issued the head coach the 'trade me or else' mandate that Mosely reported Henson was going to give.

31smackdown

Reaction score
Reality said:
Actually, it makes perfect sense .. It lets all of the other NFL teams know a trade is being worked on and if they are interested, they had better speak up now.

-Reality

:hammer:

I'm going with this as well...

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
Maybe...I just don't get the feeling that is what is up in this case though.
There have been many rumors in the past where teams showed interest in Henson and there are many teams in need of backup quarterbacks with at least some game experience and Henson has a little at least with the Chicago game and NFL Europe.

It is possible that the rumors are right and Henson asked to be traded and if that is true, Parcells may be of the mind-set, "if a player doesn't want to be here, I don't want him here."

Either way, it was smart to announce it because it lets every team know he's being traded (could be a bluff) and not released and if they want him, they had better say something now.

-Reality

Angus

Reaction score
Maybe Dallas has recieved more than one bid for Henson and hasn't decided which to accept -- although one will be.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab said:
They would already know that. We'd call them and let them know he was on the block.
Not if a trade was already being worked on.

First rule of selling, don't be the one trying to sell, be the one who someone wants to buy from. If they contact other clubs, the other clubs will have the leverage. If they announce it like he did with the hint of a possible trade in the works, the Cowboys have the leverage and if any other teams are interested, they'll have to contact the Cowboys.

-Reality

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Maybe its not a trade and that Henson asked to be cut (as reported) and they are negotiating the guaranteed money that is due. (Similar to Arrington-Washington divorce) It would explain BPs demeanor.

dogberry

Reaction score
Do the Cowboys keep Henson away from practice to avoid an injury?

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
rcaldw said:
Why in the world do you announce that Henson won't be on your roster until he isn't on your roster? That makes zero sense, just like a lot of the other things Parcells has done with Henson don't make sense.
" New Tag Line" coming to rcaldw posts September 1st

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
only thing I can think of is that we must have at least a hand shake agreement with someone.......the deal is done

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Reality said:

First rule of selling, don't be the one trying to sell, be the one who someone wants to buy from. If they contact other clubs, the other clubs will have the leverage. If they announce it like he did with the hint of a possible trade in the works, the Cowboys have the leverage and if any other teams are interested, they'll have to contact the Cowboys.
Umm... Okay. ;)

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Reality said:

-Reality

That's fine and dandy, but you don't really say your "product sucks" at the same time that you're trying to sell it (or wanting to have people to buy it from you).

ddh33

Reaction score
Folks, I have to say that I don't think leverage is an issue when you are talking about a third string QB who is inching closer to 30 years old all the time, is reported to have poor mechanics, and hasn't shown anything in the NFL.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SultanOfSix said:
That's fine and dandy, but you don't really say your "product sucks" at the same time that you're trying to sell it (or wanting to have people to buy it from you).
Oh I agree with that :) But he made a point to say he was going to hold off going into detail until after the situation was resolved which could mean he doesn't want to lower his trade value .. of course, it could mean they're trying to do something to lessen the cap hit and release him. :D

Still think it's the former though ..

-Reality

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab said:
Umm... Okay. ;)
Of course I could be completely wrong .. it's happened once or twice before ... okay, it's happened a lot but I'm due to be right :D

-Reality

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I did not hear it, but someone said that a report on the ticket said Hensons locker was already cleared out.

Maybe they only announced it now because Henson was or already left and knew a reporter would find out and report it anyways.

That is the only thing I can think of really.

That they were afraid, for whatever reason, that someone would leak the story.

Remember when QC was cut how the reporters all knew something was up when QC did not show up in morning for the camp.

Now of course the reporters would not be in camp now but I imagine someone would still notice him, Henson, gone.

Other than that reason I really can not think of another unless they flat out know that a trade is in the bag or that Henson asked to be let go/retire.

I think you're right.

Mosely said Henson would probably approach Parcells/Jerry about a trade, and it probably didn't go well. He then just got his gear and walked out with his cleft chin held high.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
SultanOfSix said:

I agree. Saying that he doesn't keep players around who can't play kinda makes me think that it's not a trade we might gettting here but a negotiated release.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
what Reality said, plus perhaps a motivator with the Romo contract impasse.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Maybe its not a trade and that Henson asked to be cut (as reported) and they are negotiating the guaranteed money that is due. (Similar to Arrington-Washington divorce) It would explain BPs demeanor.
Very plausible suggestion.