Video: Why the Cowboys Cut Dan Bailey

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I seriously can't understand why would anyone not understand why the guy got cut? How can this bite us in the *** when it would have bitten us in the *** had we went into the season with his groin injury?

At best this is a lose-win situation. At worse a lose-lose. If Maher doesn't pan out we get a better kicker next year.

What don't some of you understand about this!?! Either Bailey goes, or you guys keep him and trash him when he blows multiple game winners this season.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We will see. He will be picked up and kick somewhere. See how he does.

zerofill

Reaction score
They were freeing up cap space so they could bring back the magic that was Lucky Whtehead, after the Jets play ping pong with him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I won't give this staff or management benefit of the doubt.

I want to see it for myself.

The move is absolutely stupid but hey he may be terrible now and this Maher may be great.

But I better not see Dan Bailey being Dan Bailey somewhere else why we are holding our breaths over extra points and kicks beyond 40.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
All I know is, Bailey missed field goals coming down the stretch last year, just as Dez dropped passes. And for the price, you can't have that. This is a "perform" or leave business, especially if you're taking up valuable cap space.

But 1 stretch of bad football shouldn't be enough to cut some of the best players in your teams history. Especially when you have no real motivation to replace them.

We'd be better with Dez and if Bailey is healthy then we'd be better with him as well.

It's all good though. Keep getting rid of good players and go 5-11.. Get us a new coach in here. I'm ok with that.

Jason Garrett better hope Michael Gallup is an animal because cover 3 and cover 1 will be what Dallas see's a lot of and you don't have Dez out there to bail out your crappy playcalling anymore with winning 50/50's.

Carson

Reaction score
All I know is, Bailey missed field goals coming down the stretch last year, just as Dez dropped passes. And for the price, you can't have that. This is a "perform" or leave business, especially if you're taking up valuable cap space.

The 23 yarder or what not against Seattle sealed it for me

erod

Reaction score
There's rumors that Dallas tried to get Bailey to take a paycut, and he wouldn't, so they released him.

Jerry wouldn't answer that question directly this morning. He stumbled all over himself trying to not answer it. It was pretty clear there was something to it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Jets didn't exactly snap him up. I heard the workout didn't go so well.

Yes sir, I can readily believe what you say. We saw examples of that toward the end of last season and yet more during TC. You can only do what the conditions demand and respond accordingly when things happen.

As fans, we tend to criticize the team when players are held onto too long, then do the same when they're cut too abruptly (or so it seems.) The staff is exposed to what the players do far more than we are as fans, however. I think that would make a significant difference when it comes to reaching a timely and proper decision about a player's future with the team.

Last edited:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
But 1 stretch of bad football shouldn't be enough to cut some of the best players in your teams history. Especially when you have no real motivation to replace them.

We'd be better with Dez and if Bailey is healthy then we'd be better with him as well.

It's all good though. Keep getting rid of good players and go 5-11.. Get us a new coach in here. I'm ok with that.

Jason Garrett better hope Michael Gallup is an animal because cover 3 and cover 1 will be what Dallas see's a lot of and you don't have Dez out there to bail out your crappy playcalling anymore with winning 50/50's.
You are right, but this is a "prove it" type organization right now, so everyone had better be up to par or anything can happen.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It was money.
It was his declining production.
It was they liked the new guy.
It's that he's a kicker, not the QB.

All of this comes as no surprise. I get the loyalty from the local writers who act as if they just found out Santa isn't real, but an injured and unproductive kicker hurts the team.
Sp does a guy who misses games.

glimmerman

Reaction score
There's rumors that Dallas tried to get Bailey to take a paycut, and he wouldn't, so they released him.

Jerry wouldn't answer that question directly this morning. He stumbled all over himself trying to not answer it. It was pretty clear there was something to it.
What did you hear about his tryout? Missed some?

erod

Reaction score
What did you hear about his tryout? Missed some?

No specifics. Just that it wasn't great, whatever that means. They haven't signed him, but that could be just negotiation stuff. Not sure.

I know this, once a kicker loses it, he loses it. They mentally implode in Steve Sax fashion.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No specifics. Just that it wasn't great, whatever that means. They haven't signed him, but that could be just negotiation stuff. Not sure.

I know this, once a kicker loses it, he loses it. They mentally implode in Steve Sax fashion.
There is something to be said about kickers losing that edge.

glimmerman

Reaction score

If he has lost it then I am glad he didn’t take a pay cut. Us cutting him may have messed with his head also. He kicked ok in TC.

mmohican29

Reaction score

Kickers are different. A bad stretch of play is NEVER good. Too much rides on each kick to suffer through any confidence problem.

Kickers do not slump. They either kick and score or they kick and miss.

When someone starts missing kicks like Bailey did last season, and in addition has been injury prone- you start looking immediately for a potential replacement. IDC who the kicker is.