Why the Cowboys new weapon KaVontae Turpin is essentially a lock to make the 53-man roster

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He better be really fast.
Players and coaches have said in the past that Anthony Brown is the fastest player on the team.
- Turpin ran a go route vs Brown and it appeared that Turpin was faster.
- Brown did catch up to bat the ball away but that's because Turpin had to slightly slow up to adjust to the ball.

Exception: I wouldn't be surprised if Micah Parsons is faster than all of them...

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Players and coaches have said in the past that Anthony Brown is the fastest player on the team.
- Turpin ran a go route vs Brown and it appeared that Turpin was faster.
- Brown did catch up to bat the ball away but that's because Turpin had to slightly slow up to adjust to the ball.

Exception: I wouldn't be surprised if Micah Parsons is faster than all of them...
Speed alone can disguise other shortcomings like size, but when you add size with elite speed like Parsons, thats why he gives OCs headaches, but back on topic, Turpin if used correctly can be the speed element that this STs and offense need.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isnt there a 3 game IR? I think they would put him on that. 4 games seems like a lot.
This year it is 4 games for all options: PUP, NFI & IR

For IR, the player must be on the roster for the cut to 53. They can move the player to IR the next day.
- Once or twice they cut ST Ace Goodwin for a day until they moved a play to IR.
- As a vested veteran, Goodwin is not subject to waivers until after the trade deadline.
- I think they gave him a 100K bonus after they cut/re-signed him.

The rules regarding a player on the Covid list have been a bit complicated.
- I'm not certain about this season, but in 2020, 2021 it was possible for a Covid list player to not count towards the roster for 1 week,
- It wasn't an automatic 1 week exemption, but it was possible.
- I think the rule was made more complicated to ensure that players were actually out due to Covid and not just a hamstring injury or something.
- The 'automatic' Covid rule was 3 weeks and there was not proof of Covid required.

Another new rule that came out in the Covid era is the ability to put 1 or 2 veteran players on the practice squad.
- There are no salary restrictions.
- The Seahawks did that when they signed DT Snacks Harrison in 2020.
- The Cowboys did it with the Safety Thompson who was a core ST player for a year or two.

It's possible they could put Anthony Barr on the practice squad initially.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Speed alone can disguise other shortcomings like size, but when you add size with elite speed like Parsons, thats why he gives OCs headaches, but back on topic, Turpin if used correctly can be the speed element that this STs and offense need.
I expect to see Turpin get a lot of those WR screen passes that they used with CeeDee last season.
- He does not need to learn much of the offensive to execute those plays.
- Also, they can run him on go routes to clear out the underneath for CeeDee and others.
- Based on what I've seen in the camp videos, they going to use a lot more plays with players coming across the backfield.
- They been bring Noah Brown across the backfield an into the opposite flat area.
- It's been a similar look each time but the actual play varied.
- Toss to RB with Brown blocking.
- Brown, RB and the WR on that side forcing a match of 3 receiving options vs 2 DBs.
- I can see Turpin being involved in some of those type of plays.
- Get the ball into his hands with a WR or RB lead blocking.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Turpin is a special teams player. He's too small in stature to be an offensive contributor in the NFL. He's going to get killed if they let him play on this offense. He's 5' 7" tall, 155lbs soaking wet. He's barely big enough to go on most carnival rides. lol God bless him for trying but I'm praying for this young man's safety.

He is small for sure, I watched every play when he was at TCU and had the same thought. He actually will suprise you with some strong plays when you think he is down, he also seems to never take a straight on hit...no doubt things move faster in the NFL and this will be a concern but he could suprise you with how much he can be used on offense.

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
Turpin is a special teams player. He's too small in stature to be an offensive contributor in the NFL. He's going to get killed if they let him play on this offense. He's 5' 7" tall, 155lbs soaking wet. He's barely big enough to go on most carnival rides. lol God bless him for trying but I'm praying for this young man's safety.
Let’s see how it plays out first. We’ve all witnessed your superior pre-season insight before.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
how many games do you have to miss to be on the pup?

I see that others have answered your question. I do think that since they changed it to four, it makes sense to start Gallup off on before I think it's a realistic expectation to think he will not be ready to play before then.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They're carried 6 WRs for for the majority of the season the past few years.
- For some periods of time during seasons, they've carried 7.

1. CeeDee
2. Tolbert
3. Turpin
4. Brown
5. Houston
6. Vasher or Fehoko

PUP: Gallup
IR: Washington

I can't see more than six based on the numbers at other spots, and could see us going five because of Gallup and Washington. Of course, it will depend on what they show in the preseason. We may not have even five really worth keeping, or maybe all seven will look like they are deserving.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't see more than six based on the numbers at other spots, and could see us going five because of Gallup and Washington. Of course, it will depend on what they show in the preseason. We may not have even five really worth keeping, or maybe all seven will look like they are deserving.

Yes, they've never carried 7 for a complete season; however, they have done it for more than half a season.

I would love to see another category in the PUP/NFI/IR type designations.
- Maybe call it Initial IR where players can be on IR the first 4 games without counting against the 53 on cut day.
- Is is silly that teams have to make moves such as cutting a veteran ST player for 1 day, then move a player to IR, then re-sign the ST player.
- It is always much more obvious which players to cut or keep after 4 games than on cut day.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
It may be wise to tap the brakes w/some of these other guys, but w/Turpin, it’s almost a sure bet that he finds his way onto this Cowboys football team.

And considering 10 days ago, none of us was even thinking about this guy, it says a lot about what he’s done to make such a strong impression in such a short time. Speed is an amazing thing, & this guy’s got it.

plasticman

Reaction score
Not just fast......

Pound for pound, Turpin js probably one of the strongest players on the team. This was revealed during an interview I watched the other night.

Turpin is not fragile. He can take a hit.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

From the way they are talking, Gallup will be back before 5 games. I would say week 3 or 4.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I hope he makes it - for the little men. :)
After his first punt return for a TD, can't wait to holler ... "It's TURPINTIME!!!!!"

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It may be wise to tap the brakes w/some of these other guys, but w/Turpin, it’s almost a sure bet that he finds his way onto this Cowboys football team.

And considering 10 days ago, none of us was even thinking about this guy, it says a lot about what he’s done to make such a strong impression in such a short time. Speed is an amazing thing, & this guy’s got it.
I like the brazenness of his movements.
He has a lot of moxie and confidence in his jukes/moves and is just as fast processing-to-going where he wants to go and how he does it.

Unique stuff.